The Official #9 Tennessee vs. Appalachian St. Game Thread, 7:30pm ET (9/1/16), SECN

Status
Not open for further replies.
People forget the only reason this even got to overtime is because App state was like 1 second late rolling out of bounds to into FG range. Better clock management by App state and this is a loss. If they make a FG earlier instead of missing a 41 harder, this is a loss. Butch does not get that type of leeway against any halfway decent team. They will run all over us.

Reactions: 1 person
People forget the only reason this even got to overtime is because App state was like 1 second late rolling out of bounds to into FG range. Better clock management by App state and this is a loss. If they make a FG earlier instead of missing a 41 harder, this is a loss. Butch does not get that type of leeway against any halfway decent team. They will run all over us.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, Appy st would have a Merry Christmas!

We came out flat, made mistakes, our offensive game plan was built to play conservative, and Appy came to win. If any good comes of it maybe it is the scare they needed. It was game 1, and we are 1-0, no matter how we got there. Maybe a different game had Sutton not fumbled and JRM not got ejected, who knows. Either way, a win is a win and we will see how they react.

Every year in the Jones era everyone says the same thing after the first game. We had a vanilla game plan and then we watch that exact same game plan for the rest of the season. At some point I'd like to see that statement come true.

I'll take it a step further. If we don't recover that miracle fumble in the endzone we most likely lose. Happy we won. Losing to this team in the opener at home would've been devastating.

Ifs and butts more nuts.

O come on. That's football. If Sutton doesn't fumble, we win easier. If Reeves-Maybin doesn't get kicked out, we win easier. Both sides can pick any number of plays and play what if.

It wasn't pretty, and I'm disappointed but we won. Move on

App state caught lightning in a bottle. They're a good team, got good breaks, played inspired.

Tennessee on the other hand was horrible in all facets except for Daniel Medley. They were unmotivated and poorly coached. At least they got a couple good breaks at the end.

I hope they had written off this game like they appeared to have.

A win is a win guys. It was certainly not pretty but we pulled it off & done what we had to do. Thank you Jalen Hurd for recovering that fumble by Dobbs in the end zone. Your hustle & not giving up on the play is greatly appreciated.

We have a long long ways to go though. Our OL play was terrible though. We got pushed around badly on the OL. The DL got pushed around the 1st half but in the 2nd half we tightened up & played much more inspired.

Dobbs still needs to improve in the passing game. I honestly don't think though that Butch puts him in good passing situations. He still gives his all whether it's running or passing.

We'll be more ready for VT next Saturday. I can't believe we wasn't read to play this one though. Should have been a lock to be ready for the season opener. Let's also give App State their due.

That's a pretty darn good football team. They wasn't RPI #46 for nothing. We're overrated though it appears with a #9 ranking. I say we drop 1-2 spots when the polls release Monday.

We deserve it though even though we won an ugly game. I think we only had ~50 yards more total offense than App State. If App State could have passed the ball at all we would have lost this game. Let's go get VT @Bristol guys. Please turn in a better effort & more importantly BE READY TO PLAY!

And we should've lost the Arkansas game in '98. Ifs and butts. Get over it

Hall of fame worthy post. Sorry it's a Gator giving you the kudos.

Great post.

I can't like this enough....well said sir.

Could not agree more

Surprised to see so much support and not be flamed as a negavol, which I don't feel that I am.i believe in the players as a whole, we will get better. But I don't want to watch another year of a great group of players not get as far as they are capable of. We have the talent, we have the experience. There's no reason tonight should have happened. I can obviously put this game behind us, we all can as true fans. Not saying we should win the Playoffs(although I believe our players are capable of), but anything resembling last year is a failure. No excuse

Last edited:
Valid point, but that's because we lacked any talent.

What's your excuse ?

You didn't lack talent. . You lacked consistent QB play.. like we do.

I answered your question LG.. wasn't attacking you.

Dobbs is NOT the answer. And you can't saddle up Hurd and ride him to 10-2 like LSU does Fournette.

Give Dormady a chance. Stretch the field and get some sort of a vertical passing game going.. get all these other skill players involved. We have too many weapons in this offense to be this sluggish and stale on offense. Wolf, Smith, Malone, Kamara, Byrd, may not be any superstars in the bunch but they are a more than capable group.

But I don't think Butch will do it... make the changes in philosophy and personell to spark this offense.. make defenses honest.

How's that for exacuses?

You forgot the missed extra point, we didn't deserve to win but I'll sure as hell take it.

Vols were very fortunate to win this game; maybe the magic is back at Rocky Top. No one will remember this game...kinda like the South Carolina game last year.

JRM was victimized by a weird, rather lame punt catch by the app state returner. he doesn't make a fair-catch call, so he's free to be tackled, and then at the last moment drops really low when he catches the ball, and then his knee hits the ground--by which point JRM was in on the guy. He wasn't trying to target at all--but when you are practically kneeling when you catch the ball, there's almost no chance of avoiding the guy's head. Make a real punt catch, dude, and you won't get hammered in the head.

Reactions: 2 people

Actually, the 2nd missed extra point cost App State the game. It would have been 14-13 & no OT for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back