The Official #9 Tennessee vs #14 LSU Weekend Series Thread (Game 1 Friday @ 6:32PM) (Game 2 Saturday @ 6PM) (Game 3 Sunday @ 1PM)

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
#9 Tennessee (21-4) Overall (5-1) SEC
322190_20210316_BB_ETSU_AF_033.jpg
VS

#14 LSU (15-9) Overall (1-5) SEC
hill.0.jpg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – It'll be a battle of ranked teams this weekend at Lindsey Nelson Stadium as No. 9 Tennessee hosts No. 14 LSU in its first SEC home series of the year. The Volunteers are coming off a 13-5 midweek victory against Eastern Kentucky after earning a series win at Georgia to open SEC play last weekend. Friday's series opener against the Tigers is scheduled for a 6:32 p.m. first pitch.

GAMEDAY INFORMATION
Relying on the expertise of public health authorities, the state of Tennessee, appropriate university and government agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we are implementing a number of new initiatives at Tennessee Baseball gamedays this spring. The well-being of our student-athletes, fans and staff are our top priorities and guide our decisions. Exposure to COVID-19 is an inherent risk in any public location where people are present; we cannot guarantee you will not be exposed during your visit.

The Southeastern Conference in August released several conference-wide fan health and safety guidelines for all member institutions this fall. The Tennessee-specific measures outlined on this page are in line with, and in addition to, the SEC's guidelines.

Parking
Baseball parking is located primarily in Lots GF1, G16, and C1.

Additional on-street parking is located in C10 along Todd Helton Dr. and Chamique Holdsclaw Dr. and along West Volunteer Blvd.

Handicap parking is located in marked handicap spaces on Pat Head Summitt St. and in the G16 Volunteer Blvd. garage. The 2021 parking map can be seen HERE (PDF).

For more information and gameday info, visit the Tennessee Baseball Gameday Information page by clicking HERE.

TICKET INFORMATION
Season tickets for this season are sold out. There are limited seating options still available for select games in the Porch and Deck areas. Fans should contact Maggie Coates at 865-974-9579 or mcoates4@utk.edu for more information.

Single game tickets may be available for select games based on visiting team ticket returns. Fans are encouraged to call the Ticket Office at 865-656-1200 for individual game availability. For weekend series, please contact the Ticket Office on Fridays before 5:00 p.m. Single-game tickets can also be purchased through Vivid Seats by clicking HERE.

In order to keep Lindsey Nelson Stadium as full as possible during a season with limited capacity, we are encouraging season ticket holders who are unable to use their tickets for a game(s) to either transfer your tickets to someone else (Instructions HERE), sell them on VividSeats (Instructions HERE) or participate in our new Seats for Student program (Instructions HERE).

BROADCAST INFO
All three games this weekend will be steamed live on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app. Roger Hoover (PxP) and Rusty Ensor (color) will have the call all weekend. Fans can also listen to the official Vol Network radio call on Sports Radio WNML (FM 99.1 / AM 990), as well as UTSports.com and the UT Gameday app. John Wilkerson and Vince Ferrara will call the action.

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
Game 1: RHP Chad Dallas (3-0) vs. RHP Landon Marceaux (2-1)
Game 2: LHP Will Heflin (2-1) vs. RHP Jaden Hill (2-2)
Game 3: RHP Blade Tidwell (3-1) vs. RHP AJ Labas (1-0)

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: LSU leads, 59-22
In Knoxville: LSU leads, 20-13
In Baton Rouge: LSU leads, 36-8
Neutral Sites: LSU leads, 3-1
Last Meeting: L, 9-7 (April 15, 2018)

Tennessee will be looking to end LSU's recent dominance in the series. The Tigers have won eight straight dating back to 2014 and 15 of the last 16 meetings in the series.

NOTABLE
Fast Starts
The Vols have made a habit of getting off to fast starts this season. Through 22 games, the Tennessee has scored in the first or second inning 15 times and has posted a 14-1 record when doing so. After scoring three times in the first inning on Tuesday vs. EKU, Tennessee has scored in the opening frame in four straight games entering this weekend's series. The Vols' eight first-inning runs against Arkansas Pine Bluff on Feb. 24 were the most in a first inning during Tony Vitello's tenure as head coach. Tennessee is outscoring its opponents 25-3 in the first inning of games this season.

Tidwell Wows in SEC Debut
True freshman Blade Tidwell made one heck of a statement in his SEC debut last Sunday afternoon. The Loretto, Tennessee, native put forth a dominant performance in Tennessee's 4-1 victory in Sunday's rubber game at Georgia. Tidwell gave up just one run on four hits while striking out six batters in a career-high 7.1 innings pitched and was named the SEC Freshman of the Week for his efforts. He is scheduled to start in this Sunday's series finale.

Opening SEC Play on a High Note
UT opened SEC play with a series win at Georgia last weekend, marking the first time the Vols have won their opening series in conference play since 2014. It was also Tennessee's first series win in Athens since 2016. Tennessee will look to build off that momentum this weekend against LSU, a program it has not won a series against since 2009.

Spence Continues to Rake
Senior shortstop Liam Spence is coming off another impressive week at the plate, leading the Vols with seven hits and two doubles in four games. In UT's series at Georgia, Spence hit a team-high .429 while scoring five times and driving in four runs. The Australia native opened the series with a leadoff home run on Friday and reached base in all four games last week. With a single and two walks in Tuesday's midweek win over Eastern Kentucky, Spence extended his on-base streak to 25 games.

Vols Continue to Climb in the Polls
Tennessee moved up in every poll after posting a 3-1 record last week. The Vols' current rankings are as follows: USA Today (#9), NCBWA (#10), D1Baseball.com (#12), Baseball America (#16), Perfect Game (#15), Collegiate Baseball News (#27).

UT's No. 9 ranking in the USA Today Top 25 is its highest since being ranked No. 5 by Baseball America, No. 7 by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper and No. 9 by the NCBWA on March 13, 2006.

OPPONENT SCOUT
LSU Tigers
  • 2021 Record: 16-5 (1-2 SEC)
  • Rankings: USA Today: #16 // D1Baseball.com: #22 // Baseball America: NR // NCBWA: #16 // Collegiate Baseball News: #14 // Perfect Game: #18
  • 2019 Postseason: Hosted Super Regional (0-2)
  • Head Coach: Paul Mainieri (15th season) // Has guided LSU to five CWS appearances and a National Title in 2009.
  • Predicted SEC Finish: 4th (Western Division)
  • Preseason All-SEC Selections:
    • Devin Fontenot (1st Team - RP) and Cade Beloso (2nd Team - OF)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Dylan Crews (.383)
    • Runs: Dylan Crews (26)
    • Hits: Dylan Crews (31)
    • Home Runs: Cade Doughty (8)
    • RBI: Cade Doughty (25)
    • Stolen Bases: Tre' Morgan (7-7)
    • Wins: Will Hellmers (4)
    • ERA (min. 10.0 IP): Landon Marceaux (0.00)
    • Innings Pitched: Landon Marceaux (30.0)
    • Strikeouts: Landon Marceaux (35)
  • Notable: Lead the nation in home runs with 37. Eight players have hit multiple homers for the Tigers, led by Cade Doughty's eight.
GAME PROMOTIONS
Upcoming promotions for all Tennessee athletics home events can be found on the UT Fan Experience page by clicking HERE.
Fans are encouraged to download the My All App for their phones and devices this season. The app is available on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store and will allow fans to participate in in-game trivia, the custom filter selfie cam and more throughout the year.
ON DECK
The Vols cap their five-game homestand with a midweek contest vs. Western Carolina next Tuesday night. First pitch against the Catamounts is slated for 6:30 p.m. The game will be streamed on WatchESPN.com and the ESPN app.

Last edited:
I read this week that LSU’s pitcher tonight has a 0.00 ERA over 30 innings.

I read this week that LSU’s pitcher tonight has a 0.00 ERA over 30 innings.
Marceaux has completed 30 straight innings without allowing an earned run to open the season, giving him 31⅓ consecutive innings without allowing an earned run dating to last year.

I’m glad they are selling more seats but something is wrong when they sell seats at the window that are so much better than what they sold as reserve seats and did not give season ticket holders a chance to upgrade.

I’m glad they are selling more seats but something is wrong when they sell seats at the window that are so much better than what they sold as reserve seats and did not give season ticket holders a chance to upgrade.
I haven’t seen them enforce sitting in your assigned seats yet so unless they’re truly doubling attendance there’s nothing that stops one from moving. I’ve only set in my purchased seats once because every time I show up there’s someone in them, so I just sit a row back or slide down a few seats. I’ve moved around the stadium depending on the sun and gotten in better seats with nothing said.

I haven’t seen them enforce sitting in your assigned seats yet so unless they’re truly doubling attendance there’s nothing that stops one from moving. I’ve only set in my purchased seats once because every time I show up there’s someone in them, so I just sit a row back or slide down a few seats. I’ve moved around the stadium depending on the sun and gotten in better seats with nothing said.
Tonight is different so far. Asking to see every ticket before you sit. I told the guy no one would be trying to sneak into my seats.

D1 Baseball just released their top 150 starting pitchers. Tidwell at 74 and Dallas not even listed. LSU kid tonight is 5th on the list. Both Fit and Rogers picked LSU to take the series......

Since Serrano left, the D1 Baseball guys have given UT no love.

D1 Baseball just released their top 150 starting pitchers. Tidwell at 74 and Dallas not even listed. LSU kid tonight is 5th on the list. Both Fit and Rogers picked LSU to take the series......

Since Serrano left, the D1 Baseball guys have given UT no love.

Buddy of mine that is a longtime LSU baseball season ticket holder picked the Vols.

VN Store

Back