The Official #8 Tennessee vs. Saint Joseph's Game Thread, 6:00 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#8 Tennessee Volunteers: 4-0 (0-0 SEC)

EpksIpWXMAU6p3d

vs.

Saint Joseph's Hawks: 0-4 (0-2 A-10)

UCXQWDRFGQSZXFC.20141208142158.jpg

GAME 5 | TENNESSEE vs. SAINT JOSEPH'S - Dec. 21, 2020 | 6:01 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (4,191)

Line: UT -22
O/U: 146.5

TV: SEC Network / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
XM: TBA / Internet: TBA
Online: WatchESPN app

Saint Joseph's Game Notes

EptWPxQXMAYiRTl

Last edited:
THE SERIES

• Tennessee trails its all-time series with Saint Joseph's 1-2, dating to 1948.
• The Hawks defeated the Volunteers in Philadelphia in 1948 and 1998, and Tennessee won the lone meeting in Knoxville in 1997.
• Tennessee owns a 27-14 record against current members of the Atlantic 10 Conference.
• Vols head coach Rick Barnes is 1-0 in his career against Saint Joseph's and 12-8 as a head coach against A10 opposition.
• Since debuting in December 1955, the Saint Joseph's Hawk mascot famously flaps its wings non-stop throughout every SJU basketball game.
• ESPN once used a "flap-o-meter" during a broadcast of a Saint Joseph's game to estimate that the Hawk flaps its wings 3,500 times during a regulation game.
• The Hawk travels to every game, and the student who holds the position is placed on a full scholarship.

LAYUP LINES

• Tennessee has won 78 percent of its games as a ranked team during the Rick Barnes era (59-17).
• Monday's contest is the third of four UT games in a nine-day span.
• Seniors John Fulkerson and Yves Pons were both named to the Wooden Award preseason top-50 watch list. Pons also earned a spot on the preseason watch list for the Naismith Trophy College Player of the Year.
• Tennessee's starting lineup this season has featured five left-handers. A survey of all Division I SIDs yielded no other teams that have started five southpaws this season.
• Undefeated Tennessee has been extremely balanced offensively this season. Only once thus far has a Vol scored more than 20 points, as true freshman guard Jaden Springer had 21 off the bench in Friday's win over Tennessee Tech.

DEFENSE WINS

• Tennessee ranks second in the NCAA in scoring defense, allowing just 47.5 points per game.
• According to KenPom, the Vols rank fourth nationally and first in the SEC in adjusted defensive efficiency, allowing only 86.6 points per 100 possessions so far this season. College teams average close to 70 possessions per game.
• The Vols are forcing 18.3 turnovers per game while converting those turnovers into 18.5 points per game. Tennessee's turnover margin stands at +8.5 (ninth nationally).
• Reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year Yves Pons has 78 blocks in his last 35 games.
• Making three straight field goals against this Tennessee team has been a mighty task so far this season. No UT opponent has strung together more than five consecutive made attempts.

ABOUT SAINT JOSEPH'S

• Saint Joseph's is seeking its first win of the season after an 0-4 start. Two-possession losses to Auburn (96-91) and Drexel (81-77) fall between two 20-plus point losses to Kansas (94-72) and Villanova (88-68). The Hawk's most recent losses to Drexel and Villanova on Thursday and Saturday night, followed a 14-day stoppage of all team-related activities due to a positive COVID-19 case among the program's personnel.
• Through four games, St. Joe's has received consistent production from senior Ryan Daly. Daly led the Atlantic 10 in scoring last year (21st nationally), pouring in 20.6 points per game and has continued to get buckets this season. Thus far, Daly is averaging 18.3 points per game and is active all over the floor, hauling in a team-leading 6.0 rebounds and dishing off 2.8 assists per game. Heading into Monday's matchup, Daly is just 311 points away from eclipsing 2,000 points in his college career.
• After missing a majority of 2019-20 with injury, redshirt-junior forward Tyler Funk has brought a much-needed jolt to the Hawk's frontcourt. Through four games, he ranks second on the team in scoring with 16.5 points per game, while leading the squad in rebounds (6.0 rpg) and blocks (1.5 bpg).
• Second-year head coach Billy Lange dealt with a plethora of injuries in year No. 1, as St. Joe's finished the season 6-26 and 2-16 in the A-10. Heading into year No. 2, Lange is relying on a mix of transfers, freshmen and a few seasoned returners to make a leap in the A-10
• Saint Joseph's men's basketball is known for its mascot, The Hawk, who continually flaps its wings through the duration of each game, representing the Saint Joseph's motto, "The Hawk Will Never Die."

#10 Tennessee Volunteers: 4-0 (0-0 SEC)

EpksIpWXMAU6p3d

vs.

Saint Joseph's Hawks
: 0-4 (0-2 A-10)

GAME 5 | TENNESSEE vs. SAINT JOSEPH'S - Dec. 21, 2020 | 7:01 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (4,191)

Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:

EptWPxQXMAYiRTl

Game is at 6:00. The UTAD PR Department is a joke. But they report to Phil, so is anybody surprised?

#10 Tennessee Volunteers: 4-0 (0-0 SEC)

EpksIpWXMAU6p3d

vs.

Saint Joseph's Hawks: 0-4 (0-2 A-10)

GAME 5 | TENNESSEE vs. SAINT JOSEPH'S - Dec. 21, 2020 | 7:01 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (4,191)

Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:

EptWPxQXMAYiRTl
5-0 to start the season feels great considering what we have all endured during football season.

THE SERIES

• Tennessee trails its all-time series with Saint Joseph's 1-2, dating to 1948.
• The Hawks defeated the Volunteers in Philadelphia in 1948 and 1998, and Tennessee won the lone meeting in Knoxville in 1997.
• Tennessee owns a 27-14 record against current members of the Atlantic 10 Conference.
• Vols head coach Rick Barnes is 1-0 in his career against Saint Joseph's and 12-8 as a head coach against A10 opposition.
• Since debuting in December 1955, the Saint Joseph's Hawk mascot famously flaps its wings non-stop throughout every SJU basketball game.
• ESPN once used a "flap-o-meter" during a broadcast of a Saint Joseph's game to estimate that the Hawk flaps its wings 3,500 times during a regulation game.
• The Hawk travels to every game, and the student who holds the position is placed on a full scholarship.
We gonna tie this series up tonight.

Should be another cupcake win. Should help continue building confidence for our young guns!

You’re probably not aware, but the inaccuracies in the basketball game notes have been chronically riddled with typos. Maybe you’re fine with the UTAD publishing start times off by an hour on game day. I’m not.
I'm not. But I'm also not helpless and can look up the accurate start time myself from other sources. What's more annoying to me is that the first post in this thread is someone bitching about the AD and how much they hate Phil, versus discussing the game. It's getting old.

I'm not. But I'm also not helpless and can look up the accurate start time myself from other sources. What's more annoying to me is that the first post in this thread is someone bitching about the AD and how much they hate Phil, versus discussing the game. It's getting old.

Actually the first post includes the typo. And UT’s official website should be the go to source for an accurate game time. Also, I never said that I hate Phil. He’s just not a competent AD. I hope those that will be discussing the game don’t tune in an hour late because the UTAD published the wrong start time.

I expect the hawks to bring it tonight. They have played their opponents tough. Vols will get a double digit win though. 72-57 type of game.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Should be another cupcake win. Should help continue building confidence for our young guns!
We SHOULD handle them, but they're no where near a cup cake. By end of season, I wouldn't be surprised to see them a bubble team. They are pretty big inside, and Daly is a hoss. He's like a wrecking ball...doesn't look like a "player", but is a huge guy with a motor...100% all the time. Their record is deceiving. Lost pretty close to Auburn, lost to Kansas and Villanova and Drexel (bad loss). Nova didn't close them out until mid second half.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Looks like we aren’t going to be tested until Cuonzo gets his shot. But they did take Bruce and Barn to OT.
They had very much outplayed the Barn. Only reason Auburn pulled that one out was shooting 43 freethrows. I anticipate this being the best team we have played so far.

FWIW, I'm for Cuonzo to have success (not against UT), so they don't come sniffing around to hire Kim English.

I was and still am a Cuonzo fan. I lived the first month of my life about a block from Lambert Fieldhouse. I didn’t like his playing a victim card here and he seemed to jump ship several times just before they sank, but I do think he’s a good guy.

Reactions: Lankykong
I actually regularly look at this thread for start times because I assume it’s going to be correct so don’t bother googling it, so I’m glad Yankee puts in the time to get correct details even though it’s not his job (unlike the website people). Hopefully they get it correct for our next games.

VN Store

Back