The Official #8 Tennessee vs. Mississippi State Game Thread, 9:30 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
SEC MEN'S TOURNAMENT - QUARTERFINAL

#8 Tennessee Volunteers: 27-4 (15-3 SEC)

D1PT_N0XgAAncwK.jpg:large

vs.

Mississippi State Bulldogs: 23-9 (10-8 SEC)

SEC_Mississippi_St_Texas_A_M_Basketball_51293_77476880_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

GAME 32 | SEC TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS - March 15, 2019 | ~9:30 p.m. ET | Bridgestone Arena (19,395)

Line: UT -5.5
O/U: 145.5

TV: SEC Network
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 138, XM: 190
Online: WatchESPN

31_SEC_Tournament_Game_1_Miss_State.jpg

Last edited:
FRIDAY'S OPPONENT

Tennessee is 1-0 against Mississippi State this season, posting a 71-54 win in Knoxville.

The Vols are 1-0 against Texas A&M this season, defeating the Aggies 93-76 in College Station.

Tennessee swept Vanderbilt this year, winning 88-83 in overtime in Nashville before posting a 58-46 victory in Knoxville.

Tennessee is 2-1 at neutral sites this season.

A WIN WOULD...

Give Tennessee 28 wins this season, tying for the second-most victories in program history.

Signal the most victories by a Rick Barnes-coached team since his 2010-11 Texas squad finished 28-8.

Prevent the Vols from suffering back-to-back losses, which hasn't happened since UT's first two SEC games of last season.

ABOUT MISSISSIPPI STATE

Ben Howland's squad was one of five teams in a battle for the four seed and a double bye in the SEC Tournament during the final week of the regular season. Mississippi State has a chance to compete for the championship and will be a tough test for the Vols in the quarterfinals.

The Bulldogs (23-9, 10-8 SEC) are led by four-time All-SEC performer Quinndary Weatherspoon (18.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.7 spg). The senior guard led the SEC in scoring (19.4 ppg) during league play and has dropped 20 points in 14 games this year.

Junior guard Lamar Peters leads MSU in assists (5.2 apg), steals (1.7 spg) and 3-pointers made (79) and is second on the team in scoring with 11.6 points per game. Peters, junior Tyson Carter (59) and Weatherspoon (53) are all capable of going off from beyond the arc on any given night. Carter (10.7 ppg, .455 FG%) dropped a season-high 22 points behind four threes against Missouri earlier this season.

As a team, the Bulldogs are one of the best squads at blocking shots (5.1 bpg), ranking 10th in the country and second in the SEC behind the Vols. They lead the league 3-point field-goal percentage (.376) and are second in second in the league in 3-pointers per game (8.5). MSU is 22nd in the nation and fourth in the conference in steals per game (8.2), as well.

SEC TOURNAMENT HISTORY

Tennessee is 67-54 (.554) in 58 all-time previous SEC Tournament appearances.

The Vols own the third-best SEC Tournament winning percentage among league schools, trailing only Kentucky (.842) and Alabama (.559).

Since the tournament was renewed in 1979, the Vols are 32-39 (.451).

Tennessee has won the SEC Tournament four times, tying Florida for third-most among league schools. The Vols won the event in 1936, 1941, 1943 and 1979.

UT has reached the championship game 11 times (tied for third-most among league schools), most recently last season in St. Louis.

Tennessee has been the No. 3 seed only once previously, and the Vols fell to sixth-seeded Ole Miss, 81-72, in the 1981 tournament in Birmingham.

This is the 10th time Nashville has hosted the SEC Tournament. UT is 11-9 in the tournament when it takes place in "The Music City."

Tennessee's SEC Tournament record at Bridgestone Arena is 7-7.

Go Vols! Play loose as a team and don’t give in to the pull to play individually. Play your game and not the other teams game. Keep your head on and have fun! Let’s win this game and move one stop closer to cutting these nets down on the way to cutting down the big ones in a few weeks! GBO!!

Vol fans know our dismal history in the SECT. Here's hoping this edition of UT hoops makes us forget all that. Having said that.....where's my Tenn cup? :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
Vols are favored by 5.5
Nice I've been waiting to see what the line was. I don't have a good feeling about this game. I think it's because I actually have a chance to go to the game tomorrow if we win tonight, and I just have a feeling I'll be let down. Must be the BVS lol.

We have to defend the 3 better. MSU shot 44% from 3 last night. We cannot let that happen. We held them to 25% when we played them last and they were terrible from the FT line (55%). I expect a much closer game this time.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
Best case scenario for Vols is to beat MSST, Kentucky and LSU/Auburn to win the SEC. That has 1st seed guaranteed.
1552658206506.gif
So LSU/AUB needs to win the SEC for us to get a 1 seed? Oh wait, I think I got what your saying now. Basically us to win the tourney to get a 1 seed

Best case scenario for Vols is to beat MSST, Kentucky and LSU/Auburn to win the SEC. That has 1st seed guaranteed.
Lol people who have never played collegiate athletics think like this. No, that is not the best case scenario. You want the easiest path to the championship and Florida/Bama winning today would make that path much easier.

Reactions: FlVols
I think Bone has a good game. Need to get back to moving the ball around more and get good looks. Well need Turner on D but can’t afford for him to go 0-7 from 3. Would be nice if we can get Kyle some shots. Defensively I think it’s important to get productive minutes from him.

VN Store

Back