The Official #5 Tennessee vs. Kentucky Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, ESPN

Personally I didn’t think today was anything to be too concerned about. It’s impossible to manufacture the type of urgency Kentucky played with because of the situation they’re in. This was their season on the line. Hats off to them. They took it to us, played their best game of the year, we played poorly and still had a chance to win the game

Vandy game was fine. They shot well in the first half, and we locked down the second half. Vandy just beat Arky today. It’s like some folks don’t realize that basketball is 30+ games. It happens.
I know it happens but we looked lethargic in the first half against Vandy. Yes the second half was better. It’s like some folks assume they know everything and want to appear smart but they really don’t.

Never thought I’d see TN win an SEC tourney but it happened under Barnes. I’m not going to say never on a final four. Lot of luck in the draw is needed.

I know it happens but we looked lethargic in the first half against Vandy. Yes the second half was better. It’s like some folks assume they know everything and want to appear smart but they really don’t.

We scored 37 points- offense was fine. Vandy’s freshman hit several three’s. If you want to complain about half a game that we then went up by 17 points, then you will be complaining all year long. We will be down, and we will lose some games. Just being a “realist.” Deflection is an essential to arguing in this place.

I thought we learned that lesson with Colorado. Honestly, what concerns me is that we played like this at home and really this is back to back games playing like this, Vandy just isn’t as talented as UK. And who doesn’t get up to play Kentucky? We’re still in line to get a great seed and have a great year but games like this are exactly why we go home early in March. I’m hoping we won’t this year but it’ll be in the back of our minds when the time comes.

I don't disagree, but I'd sure as hell rather go through a bad spell now than a month from now. Barnes has a month and half to get this straightened out, and having a game like this might end up being the best thing that could happen, knocking these guys out of their comfort zone.

Maybe this team isn't as good as we thought - now we're going to find out for sure.

I never understand this. How can you NOT want to win more? It’s your home court. You’re the one fighting for the SEC championship. Makes no sense. It’s now happened twice this year. Colorado and Kentucky. Both times we admitted we didn’t want it as badly. Both times we lost.

I’m not even sure how you fix that.

Tells me all I need to know about this team. Noon tip or not, if playing your most bitter rival at home on a day that Lofton has his jersey retired doesn't bring out the competitor in you, something is missing.

First off, I didn’t get to see the game. What I know is what I gathered from this forum and a bit of the radio broadcast I got to hear. Kesling always seems super vanilla and Bert is certainly a homer, but he was horribly perturbed at the officiating. My take is, it was officiated like an ncaa tournament game, which we all know, can be a struggle for Barnes. In the tournament, there is a mandate given to the officials to not foul out the stars. That explains Oscar getting to do what he wants with no foul worries. Barnes works so hard all year developing depth. We go 10 deep this year with quality players. You’d think that would pay off in the tournament but it just doesn’t. We always seem to lose to teams that play about 7 guys. In the tournament they don’t get in foul trouble, as mentioned above. They also don’t get tired because of all the tv timeouts that are much longer than regular games. Every time the ball goes out of bound it seems like they play that music and there’s 7-8 commercials ($$$). Those guys we should wear down playing 10 guys never do. Just a theory.

Reactions: AppStVol
Yes. So over 30 minutes that projects to 5 rebounds. That’s not good enough for him. He’s not a good enough defender yet to play big minutes if he isn’t getting a ton of rebounds.
Respectfully disagree, especially yesterday, he defended Oscar excellently. Could have been the spark we needed, lord knows we needed something

Reactions: cardvolfan
Yes. So over 30 minutes that projects to 5 rebounds. That’s not good enough for him. He’s not a good enough defender yet to play big minutes if he isn’t getting a ton of rebounds.
You do realize over the season he’s averaging a rebound fr every 2 minutes he’s played? Statistically, it’s more probable he would have finished closer to that season average if he played 20+ minutes vs the average of a single 6 minute stretch of the season.

Reactions: Hbg and cardvolfan
Want to know why we lost? Just look at the stats. We lost on fouls. Missed free throws and officials called a pro-KENTUCKY Game. Our three point play was off by a lot. Their length, taller and equally quick, made a difference. And agree, they wanted that win more than we wanted that win. The intangibles? Barnes made some bad decisions last two minutes and wasn’t able to get refs straightened out. Our crowd goes flat when we get behind which is when we need them to get real loud the most. If we made half the layups we missed, we win. Go Vols. Live and learn.

It’s surprising the number of teams who struggle offensively. They dribble and pass the ball around the perimeter before someone attempts to go one on one and forces a shot or pass it back out late in the shot clock.

This team also lacks a transition game which is a bit surprising. You have to get some easy transition baskets.

SEC has always had teams that live or die by the 3. I think you get a lot of athletic guys that are not traditional shooters or drivers. Also lack of big center is apparent.

Issue is this style can win big if you are hitting but looks bad when you are not. Alabama plays this style as well.

Reactions: vol94
You are correct. It is a bullcrap response without any thought to it. These players should hate to lose.

If I were coach and I had seniors that openly admit this then I'm moving on to some underclassmen and see if somebody wants it more.

SEC has always had teams that live or die by the 3. I think you get a lot of athletic guys that are not traditional shooters or drivers. Also lack of big center is apparent.

Issue is this style can win big if you are hitting but looks bad when you are not. Alabama plays this style as well.

True. But Bama has athletic players who can dribble penetrate and finish at the goal. We don’t have a go to guy who can do that. I hope Phillips can be that guy.

It doesn’t matter how good you are, or think you are, defensively if you can’t score. There will be nights when the other team hits everything they throw up and we have to be able to match it. We are consistently inconsistent on offense. We complain about not getting calls but we have nobody that can penetrate to the rim and get those calls. The missed layups are inexcusable.

Want to know why we lost? Just look at the stats. We lost on fouls. Missed free throws and officials called a pro-KENTUCKY Game. Our three point play was off by a lot. Their length, taller and equally quick, made a difference. And agree, they wanted that win more than we wanted that win. The intangibles? Barnes made some bad decisions last two minutes and wasn’t able to get refs straightened out. Our crowd goes flat when we get behind which is when we need them to get real loud the most. If we made half the layups we missed, we win. Go Vols. Live and learn.

Missed layups, 3-21 from 3, bad turnovers in the 1st half, and we got crushed on the boards - do those things and you won't win many, if any games. The lack of effort showed up the way we let them dominate the offensive glass, getting a ton of second chance points.

And we still had a chance to take the lead with a minute left. Barnes was outcoached yesterday, letting the refs get away with calling a one-sided game and a bad decision to not take a TO and set up a play with a chance to take the lead. I get the idea of wanting to go in the flow and not give them a chance to set up defensively, but we really needed to get a good shot there and failed to.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
We still had a chance to take the lead with a minute left. Barnes was outcoached yesterday, letting the refs get away with calling a one-sided game and a bad decision to not take a TO and set up a play with a chance to take the lead. I get the idea of wanting to go in the flow and not give them a chance to set up defensively, but we really needed to get a good shot there and failed to.

If frogs had wings . . .

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Arizona lost to Oregon. UCONN lost to St Johns. This loss doesnt define the season. After that SC game i knew UK would come in on a different level. And UT looked flat most of the game. Recipe for a loss.

Hate to be the guy that cries refs because the college basketball subreddit game thread was full of whiny completely biased and stupid Kentucky fans—but look at the FT disparity. Kentucky was getting away with murder in a “physical” game. Basketball isn’t a physical sport. Kentucky was again getting away with murder. They’re not good. They’ll be lucky to make the NIT this year.

VN Store

Back