The Official #5 Tennessee vs. #2 Kansas Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, ESPN2

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
NIT SEASON TIP-OFF

#5 Tennessee Volunteers: 4-0 (0-0 SEC)

fe19c2b7-9996-499a-9907-53028a6f0e17-AP18325807259420.jpg

vs.

#2 Kansas Jayhawks : 4-0 (0-0 Big 12)

usa_today_11710746.0.jpg

GAME 5 | TENNESSEE VS. KANSAS - Nov. 23, 2018 | 9 p.m. ET | | NIT Season Tip-Off | Barclays Center

Line: UT +3.5
O/U: 150.5

TV: ESPN2
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: --, XM: --
Online: WatchESPN.com

5_NIT_Tipoff_Kansas.jpg

THE SERIES

Tennessee trails the all-time series with Kansas, 1-2.

Kansas won the most recent meeting, posting an 87-62 victory at the Orlando Classic on Nov. 28, 2014. That is the only neutral-site meeting.

The Vols and Jayhawks each have been ranked for two of the three previous meetings.

Old Big 12 rivals, Rick Barnes and Bill Self have met 21 times previously as head coaches.

A WIN WOULD…

Stand as Rick Barnes' 100th head coaching win over an AP top-25 opponent.

Improve UT's record vs. current members of the Big 12 to 14-17.

Even the all-time series with KU.

Be Tennessee's ninth all-time win over an opponent ranked second in the AP poll.

Give UT its first 5-0 start since the 2010-11 season (7-0).

Reactions: JacketVol
STORYLINES

Tennessee's Grant Williams was a high school teammate of Kansas point guard Devon Dotson at Providence Day School in Charlotte, N.C.

Friday is Tennessee's first top-five matchup since the second-ranked Vols went to Memphis and toppled the top-ranked Tigers, 66-62, on Feb. 23, 2008.

Jordan Bone's oldest brother, Josh Bone, helped lead the Vols to an upset win over top-ranked Kansas in 2010. See note on page 4.

Grant Williams leads the SEC in scoring (22.5 ppg) and ranks second in field-goal percentage (.633).

Williams is riding a streak of three games with 20 or more points.

Senior wing Admiral Schofield is tied for the SEC lead in minutes played (34.2 mpg), while junior guard Jordan Bowden leads the conference in assist/turnover ratio (7.0).

LAST MEETING WITH KANSAS

Tennessee battled No. 11 Kansas, but dropped an 82-67 decision in the semifinals of the Orlando Classic on Friday, Nov. 28, 2014, at HP Field House.

UT was led by senior Josh Richardson (now a starter for the Miami Heat), who had 16 points and four rebounds. Junior Kevin Punter added 14 points. Freshman Detrick Mostella scored 13 points on 4-of-8 shooting from 3-point range. The trio combined for 22 points in the second half, as the Vols charged back to tie the game late.

Kansas led 40-33 at halftime.

With the game tied at 62, Kansas reeled off seven consecutive points keyed by a 3-point play by Cliff Alexander as the Jayhawks took a 69-62 lead with 5:15 remaining.

The Jayhawks finished scoring 20 of the game's final 25 points.

Kansas doubled-up the Vols on the glass, 44-22.

Tennessee forced Kansas into 16 turnovers and turned those into 24 points.

The Jayhawks were led by junior Perry Ellis, who had game-highs of 24 points and 13 rebounds. Freshman Alexander added 16 points.

Ellis went on to play six more seasons for KU (technically not true, but it felt like it).

VOLS, JAYHAWKS TRAVEL TOGETHER

Traveling UT and Kansas fans may know one another on a first-name basis after the past few years.

In addition to a home-and-home contract in 2009 and 2010—which saw each team win on its own homecourt—the Vols and Jayhawks have been on a similar holiday tournament rotation.

The teams were part of the same field at the 2011 Maui Invitational (did not meet), the 2013 Battle 4 Atlantis (did not meet) and the 2014 Orlando Classic (Kansas defeated the Vols).

We wanted the big dogs and now we got em. I’m just excited to see our boys on this big stage in a huge important match up. I don’t know if we’re gonna win, but I don’t feel pessimistic about our team in the slightest. Go Vols!

Reactions: sport3500
I see nothing bad coming out of this game. Win and we're potentially looking at a #1 v #2 matchup with Gonzaga. Lose and the team gains focus and is even more motivated to make SEC and tournament runs.

I feel the same way. This game means so much, win or lose.

Funny how little publicity this one is getting. I’m surprised ESPN didn’t slot this one before the season for the main channel knowing Kansas and UT were both in it.

It’s tough with football on all weekend

NIT SEASON TIP-OFF

#5 Tennessee Volunteers: 4-0 (0-0 SEC)

fe19c2b7-9996-499a-9907-53028a6f0e17-AP18325807259420.jpg

vs.

#2 Kansas Jayhawks : 4-0 (0-0 Big 12)

usa_today_11710746.0.jpg

GAME 5 | TENNESSEE VS. KANSAS - Nov. 23, 2018 | 9 p.m. ET | | NIT Season Tip-Off | Barclays Center

Line: UT +3.5
O/U: 150.5

TV: ESPN2
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: --, XM: --
Online: WatchESPN.com

5_NIT_Tipoff_Kansas.jpg

What is CRB record against CBS out of the 21 times?

I see nothing bad coming out of this game. Win and we're potentially looking at a #1 v #2 matchup with Gonzaga. Lose and the team gains focus and is even more motivated to make SEC and tournament runs.

Agree wholeheartedly. Though, even if we win, I suspect Virginia may stay ahead of us, assuming they win today.

Reactions: ttatj
Funny how little publicity this one is getting. I’m surprised ESPN didn’t slot this one before the season for the main channel knowing Kansas and UT were both in it.
That irks me too... and I don't like how the pundits are all assuming that Kansas is going to win. This team is ready for tonight.

Agree 100%. For some reason I feel like this is a no lose situation. Win would be huge, close loss makes me feel like we can play with the best in the country. Only downside would be a blowout. Would hurt the ranking but would be a wakeup call to the team. Got a good feeling. UT wins by 5.

VN Store

Back