The Official #5 Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

When Kenect plays hard, he is unstoppable. When he doesn’t, his lack of defense is a problem. He can be as good on offense as he wants to be. He just has to set his mind to it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Vescovi, JJJ, and Gainey a combined 2-17 FG and 0/10 3pt shooting.

We can't have no-show games from both Vescovi and JJJ and except to beat a decent opponent. And we didn't get much offensively from
our bigs either. Gainey has to sit--he just can't make a shot. We brought him in as a scorer, and he can't throw it in the ocean.

JJJ is a big body--and he CANNOT disappear in games against physical opponents. He's got to be physical, get to the rim, get his shots, and give us some points.

Games like tonight are difference between 15-3 and 13-5 type SEC seasons. Also difference between Sweet 16 teams and elite
Same. But I’m not giving up yet. When they play to their potential they can beat anyone. Maybe, just maybe they get hot at the right time this year.
yep…games like tonight turn 15-3 type SEC season into 13-5 ones…that is the difference between winning a conference and not

Reactions: LibertyVol
Provided Tennessee beats Alabama (Georgia*) on Saturday, they will almost assuredly remain in the Top Ten. There's still a lot of basketball left to play this week and losing to State isn't exactly losing to Amherst.
Road games are tough no doubt. State is just not that good. Not a good loss if you want to win an SEC title.

I wouldn’t go that far. But I think we know how it is going to turn out. 12 and 6 give or take one. And at best a sweet 16. Not complaining. Just the way it is.

I was being sarcastic. While I’d say you’re right about the sweet sixteen being our most likely ceiling in the NCAA tournament, I think we could be significantly better than 12-6 in league play. This was always going to be one of our toughest league games.

Now, if we drop any of the next five, then my expectations for the season will decrease.

I know it will never happen, but I am done with Gainey. He’s giving you nothing on offense and his defense isn’t anything special.

0-5 from the field 0-4 from 3. He air balled a shot. I don’t care if you’re trying to send a message to your freshmen about preparation during the week, moving forward we should be giving either Carr or Dillione some run and those minutes. Gainey has been awful since Maui. I keep hearing “He’s a streak shooter, he’ll streak in the other direction soon.” Well, we’re close to halfway through the season if not right at the half way point and he’s been bad for close to 2 months.

Time for the freshmen to get in and see if they can provide a spark.
Dillione played his best minutes of the season from my perspective. Looked quicker and more in flow to me. JMO

Well they won’t beat us in Knoxville since we just play them once. Hope we get them in tournament for payback with that classless dunk with game in hand. Like an unemployed teacher, No class.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Dillione played his best minutes of the season from my perspective. Looked quicker and more in flow to me. JMO

Dillione should get Gainey’s minutes starting Saturday at Georgia. I hate it for Gainey. I know he’s trying and it’s hard to watch a shooter struggle the way he is struggling. Just can’t put the team’s success in jeopardy based on the hope that maybe he digs his way out of this slump.

Road games are tough no doubt. State is just not that good. Not a good loss if you want to win an SEC title.
Mississippi state is 26th in Kenpom. Borderline top 25 team. Tennessee should have won, absolutely. Tennessee just kept shooting their selves in the foot when they had a chance to take the lead. Mississippi state isn’t a pushover tho.

Smith wasn’t our biggest problem, their 5’-10” freshman was their high scorer. Why did ZZZ and the other guards leave him free so much?
State was great running screens forcing Tenn to switch. Vescovi got caught on Smith and the big men were on the little guy. They couldn’t close on him enough & he burnt them. Smith got Vesco in 1st half foul trouble too

Awaka has strength but it doesn’t matter when you’re 6’8 (that may be generous) and you’re having to guard a just as strong 6’11 or 7 footer with the skill of Bacot/Smith/Dickinson. Not enough length.
That is why he was not heavily recruited. Estrella should have been getting his minutes. Barnes has screwed the pooch in this one.

Dillione? Why? You made the determination tonight in like the 2 minutes he played he should get LESS? Do you want MORE Gainey? Because I certainly don’t.

Freddie has better size and more upside I think. I’m not sure what Gainey really offers when he’s not scoring.

Hell I’d be interested in seeing Carr too, his length is going to make him a very good defender.

Barnes was completely outcoached. Thank goodness they went “playground” in the 2nd half or they’d not scored 50. Barnes “offense” is offensive. It happens every year.

I’m not sure if I can attribute it to coaching or if it is a lack of player leadership (or both), but what got Tennessee tonight is the same thing that got it in Chapel Hill: a no show first half. Inexplicable for that to happen twice in a season with such a veteran group.

Reactions: Nickid1975

VN Store

Back