The Official #4 Tennessee vs Alabama (SEC Tourney Game Thread) 2PM

You answered your own question in the middle of the first paragraph. The second baseman in the shortstop will always tag the bag and move across away before they throw or step on it and step back before they throw. That means that the runner has to purposely slide outside of going straight at the bag to be able to make contact with the fielder.
That is how the rule is interpret it. If the fielder stands on top of the base you’re free to slide right into me.
No it doesn’t. If a human being is bigger then 15 inches wide and the fielder is only a few inches off the bag contact can/will still be made.

Look at the picture Volly, The second baseman has stepped back off of the bag towards right field. He did not slide directly into the base he is outside the width of the base by half his body body width, and made contact on purpose. I understand how badly everyone wants that call not to have been made, and I probably wouldn’t of made it either, but it was made and all I’ve ever said is that by ruleIt was a correct call
He never even had his foot on second base. He threw the ball where he caught it.

And Max slide in complete control by the letter of the rule.
E2WNsoyVEAA3m9G
His slide was proper and within the rules. I have watched and played the game since the 1950s. I have seen runners go way out of the baseline to break up a double play and interference not be called. The Bama fielder threw high on his throw to first. His throw was affected in no way by the sliding runner.

We won the game by scoring the winning run when the high throw forced the 1st basemen to jump off the bag. I have accepted the ultimate outcome as being SEC standard alterations of the norm to turn defeat into victory for Alabama and their ownership of the Commissioner's office in Birmingham AL. Occurrences like this are so common that none of us should be surprised. We won the game on the field but got the old Alabama screw job that changed the scoreboard.

The ******** reality is that kids work their asses off to play sports at the next level and unless they go to the "right" college, they potentially get screwed.

What a messed up system we all play a part in.

Reactions: Volfan1000
It is the runner's job to attempt to break up the double play. However, he can only do it legally if he stays within the basepath. The runner is out if he slides more than the length of his arm to either side of the base. If he interferes with the throw in any way, the batter is out as well. Though rare, the same rules apply to a play at third base.

Y9, are you trying convince people that our runner was out of the basepath when he slid directly toward the base? Nor did he interfere with the throw in the slightest way. You are clearly biased in your defense of this umpire crew for whatever reason. If he did graze his upper thigh with his hand, it was incidental and in no way altered his throw or his throwing arm.

Look at the picture Volly, The second baseman has stepped back off of the bag towards right field. He did not slide directly into the base he is outside the width of the base by half his body body width, and made contact on purpose. I understand how badly everyone wants that call not to have been made, and I probably wouldn’t of made it either, but it was made and all I’ve ever said is that by ruleIt was a correct call

Max could have slid even more to the right and been legal. All you have to do is to reasonably be able to hit the bag with your hand. When I first saw the interference call live, I figured the replay was going to show him sliding way right. But he did not. His slide was textbook from the angle perspective.

Today reminded me of the week we had no midweek game and we came out a little sluggish for the weekend series. Hopefully tomorrow we come out back on track.

Reactions: txbo
It was his left arm and I see it as bracing for a possible knee on the come through of the back leg. He plainly turns and ducks his head to the inside the same time the arm is going up. Let the leg hit my forearm/shoulder or back instead of my nose or cheekbone.
That’s how I saw it saw well. But like I said, intentional or not.....

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Max could have slid even more to the right and been legal. All you have to do is to reasonably be able to hit the bag with your hand. When I first saw the interference call live, I figured the replay was going to show him sliding way right. But he did not. His slide was textbook from the angle perspective.
That's what baffles me about this argument that Max made an illegal slide. It was a routine double play attempt where the relay throw to first drew the 1st baseman off the bag. Our runner slid directly into the base and didn't interfere with or alter the fielder's throw to 1st. He just made a high throw and the umps decided to erase the run and do their "bama reshuffle of the deck." You can look at the replay a dozen times and it doesn't reflect the slightest interference with the fielder's errant throw.

The only thing that made the day bearable was when the team jogged down the RF line in the 7th or 8th inning and Chad stopped and talked to my son about his glasses. Living in AL, roughly 20 miles from Hazel Green, and having got the opportunity to meet Jordan after the season was cancelled and he was back home, JB has been his favorite player, until the AL series when he saw that Chad wore glasses. Since then it’s been all about him. To see a player take the time in the middle of an intense SEC tournament game to stop and talk to a 4 yr old and hear his old man tell him all about how he became his favorite player and how JB has been replaced (lol) is one of the reasons I love this team and the culture that CTV is building. Chad told him he’d come find him after the game and he did. I’m going to miss his skill-set next year but his character just as much.

Attachments

• 66C7042B-32CC-4EF5-8509-F9F97E2FAC9E.jpeg
    66C7042B-32CC-4EF5-8509-F9F97E2FAC9E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
The only thing that made the day bearable was when the team jogged down the RF line in the 7th or 8th inning and Chad stopped and talked to my son about his glasses. Living in AL, roughly 20 miles from Hazel Green, and having got the opportunity to meet Jordan after the season was cancelled and he was back home, JB has been his favorite player, until the AL series when he saw that Chad wore glasses. Since then it’s been all about him. To see a player take the time in the middle of an intense SEC tournament game to stop and talk to a 4 yr old and hear his old man tell him all about how he became his favorite player and how JB has been replaced (lol) is one of the reasons I love this team and the culture that CTV is building. Chad told him he’d come find him after the game and he did. I’m going to miss his skill-set next year but his character just as much.

that’s awesome!

That’s awesome the son of a Vandy fan is a Vols fan.

VN Store

Back