The Official #4 Tennessee vs #15 Kentucky Game Thread, Saturday 4:00 PM EST/CBS

Final word on this one: sucks losing Kentucky, but thankful for all the seniors. JJJ and SV have been frustrating to watch at times, but they’ve been mainstays on four straight ncaa tournament teams. Big contributors to the program and both class acts.

Dalton Knecht is just a special player. We’re blessed to have all witnessed him wear the orange and white this season. Appreciate him for choosing to come here and for putting in the work the way he has. Despite today’s results, those guys are SEC champs and have a whole lot more left to play for.
DK is just a baller. It's been a pleasure watching him play. He forced a couple bad shots today but still he did everything he could to keep us in the game, was competitive and didn't back down. And frankly I think it was a bit unfair for Barnes to call him out somewhat postgame and state he (DK) needed to get others involved. When he was doubled, he typically passed out of it and others just didn't do anything with it on most occasions. And further, really can't expect DK to be both the primary scorer and also the facilitator when his number is called repeatedly, Barnes is putting it into his hands over and over, the other team is game planning him, and everyone else (particularly in the 1st half) seemed afraid to shoot the ball.

I think our emphasis during the SEC tournament should be to run our motion offense, create tempo and force others to make buckets and try to get in offensive rhythm before "The Dance". In halfcourt, feed Aidoo and Awaka when the pace slows and play inside-out. DK needs a break mentally as much physically, as the primary option before he is called upon again to carry us in the NCAA tournament.

If. If you do this or do that…. If. They didn’t, period. You can’t expect to have DK carry the team in every game. Tennessee better find some other players who will step up or it will be an early exit from the NCAAT. Credit to Kentucky, they played a helluva game.
At this point in the season, this team is who and what they are. It's Aidoo, ZZ and Knecht you can hang your hat on. Beyond that it's a crap shoot from night to night.

Slighting Barnes after winning an outright championship is extraordinarily dumb.

You just can't admit you were wrong about Barnes with that silly thread. It's beyond comical.
Where was I wrong? I said he's a sweet 16 coach. Am I wrong?
Where did I slight Barnes AFTER winning an outright championship?

Reactions: DarkVolder
Him not giving us some points really hurts...Got to be in the head.

A 5th year senior can't turn into a non threat on the court. I don't think he was brought back to give the team a goose egg when they need him most.

Slighting Barnes after winning an outright championship is extraordinarily dumb.

You just can't admit you were wrong about Barnes with that silly thread. It's beyond comical.
I see that I messed up and left off the word "not" when it should have read they did NOT do what some of Barnes teams have done in the past. Again, I ask where I'm wrong?

1) The Vols missed six free throws, the margin was four points.

2) At one point Tennessee was 16 of 50 from the field. For example: Aidoo missed a shot from 2 feet away shooting DOWN at the goal! One simply cannot win doing crap like that.

3) Related: Knecht got less than no help from the rest of the team until it was too late. The KatPeople opted to let Knecht do his thing and shut down everyone else - it worked.

4) To me the critical mistakes were: clanging the free throw after the technical on Calipairi and getting zilch on the ensuing possession with a potential 3-5-point swing absolutely killed any momentum; Vescovi missing the three after the rebound of his blocked shot in the lane; the aforementioned Aidoo shot; and having JJJ shoot the three at the end.

5) For whatever reason, Barnes and Co. forgot that when playing sUcK late in the season it's your five against their eight. It wasn't so much the fouls that were called as it was the times the zebras swallowed their whistles. Seemed every time Tennessee drove the lane, the UT shooter wound up on the floor. If Kentucky's football team had hit like that they'd have been undefeated.

6) Finally, I normally get a drink and hotdog on my way in - I didn't. Ergo, I take responsibility for this fiasco.

Last edited:
Reactions: BreatheUT
I love this fan base. It is amazing how our coaches/players go from being the best in the world to the worst in the world not only game to game, but play to play sometimes.

It makes a disappointing loss a little more bearable getting to read the LOTM posters lose their mind over and over.

I'm not sure how you can pin this one on barnes. He wasn't the one out throwing up bricks and getting stuffed at the rim. No one showed up tonight other than dalton and it took an all time shooting performance by them to beat us by 4.

Reactions: amorange
In a close game against a team like Ky, Aidoo can’t go 4 for 11. He is too critical to the team. If any of our “big 3” have an off night, it’s very costly.
Agreed. He's been so good for much of the season. He had almost no vertical lift yesterday and weaker hands than usual. I wonder if fatigue has caught up to him.

Agreed. He's been so good for much of the season. He had almost no vertical lift yesterday and weaker hands than usual. I wonder if fatigue has caught up to him.
Given this 4 game stretch and the physicality of those games, I think fatigue is behind a lot of our issues....especially FTs. Your legs go and it definitely impacts your shot. Gonna harp on it again....Barnes had the entire season to develop some depth and use his bench. Didn't do it. Gonna be interesting to see how he handles the SECT and the minutes.

SEC Champions 🏆 SEC Champions 🏆. Toughest league great accomplishment Vols. Now it's Tourney Time. Refocus and let's get to our first final 4. Acts4:11-12 .

Reactions: gray0306
Come on folks, this is not the NCAA's yet, season is not over. Just remember the positive, it was a great season and even with the KY win, which sucks to lose to KY anytime, at the end of the game Vols are still SEC champs and KY IS NOT.

Reactions: malinoisvol
I don't know why Barnes would call out Knecht. I do agree that sometimes when he is double teamed he is a little slow in passing to another teammates, but last night he was the only one willing to take it to the basket in a crowd. The rest of the team takes it in and throws it back out like they are scared. Dalton is fearless and Barnes should acknowledge that fact. Many times players just give it to Dalton and basically say go get us a bucket and he usually does.

Reactions: VolOld

VN Store

Back