The Official #4 Tennessee vs #15 Kentucky Game Thread, Saturday 4:00 PM EST/CBS

Not to burst your fantasy, but DK made two threes in the last seventeen minutes because they were doubling him outside. But I’m sure those last ten seconds would’ve been different.
My thing is, if Josiah is wide open, fine. And I keep saying people say he was wide open, but he wasn’t, it was heavily contested (by Reeves I think but I could be wrong). If we’re gonna take a contested three, Knecht might as well be the one to do it. Or heck, there’s twelve seconds left, somebody go get a two! That actually would’ve been my preferred route

It's the hardest loss for me to take. Mercenarial program with some local fans that only talk about them when they are really good. Basically local bandwagon fools.

What else do KY fans have to celebrate after basketball season is over?

He was getting beat bad on defense
You might note that Reed and Sheppard shot defended looks all night, and hit them consistently. Sheppard hit some wide open shots but also hit when he was guarded. They shot over Mashack and Josiah. Credit where credit is due here. They shot lights out. If you can score over Mashack and Josiah, you can score over anyone.

Last edited:
My thing is, if Josiah is wide open, fine. And I keep saying people say he was wide open, but he wasn’t, it was heavily contested (by Reeves I think but I could be wrong). If we’re gonna take a contested three, Knecht might as well be the one to do it. Or heck, there’s twelve seconds left, somebody go get a two! That actually would’ve been my preferred route
They would have had to swing the ball all the way back to the other side of the court. At least Josiah shooting it got the ball on the rim for a potential rebound and kick. If you swing the ball you likely don't get a good shot and you don't have time to rebound the ball.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Lol its OK and guess what, I agree the men's game wasn't that big of a deal. They did what many of Barnes previous teams have done and lost when it mattered. These guys had a slugfest last 3 games to clinch the regular season and UK is just red hot. I kinda expected them to lose.
Slighting Barnes after winning an outright championship is extraordinarily dumb.

You just can't admit you were wrong about Barnes with that silly thread. It's beyond comical.

They would have had to swing the ball all the way back to the other side of the court. At least Josiah shooting it got the ball on the rim for a potential rebound and kick. If you swing the ball you likely don't get a good shot and you don't have time to rebound the ball.
But alternately if you make it after swinging it, Kentucky doesn’t have as much time to go down the court and get the last shot. Look I’m not one to criticize the team no matter what, but I can’t believe the best option down 3 with 12 seconds left was a contested Josiah three. I don’t think anybody would’ve said that before it happened

What else do KY fans have to celebrate after basketball season is over?

A couple of these folks are people who grew up in the sticks of rural TN. There is no connection to their program they just think it makes them look cool when UK is really good.

My gosh. I just saw the highlight of the Lady Vols game. How in the he$$ was she that open? That’s ridiculous. There wasn’t a player near her.
They were daring her to shoot it. She had never made a 3 before. Of the 5 players on the floor, you want her to shoot. That's why the backed off. Would you want to guard her and her pass it to a real shooter? No, you let her take it. It was a lucky bank 3. The 2 missed free throws cost us the game.

Being down by three on an inbounds play, the opposing team is going to bring the bigs out of the lane to guard the three. Any look at a three in that situation is rare. A single cover from a closing guard is about as good a look as you’ll get. We pulled our bigs out of the offense to rebound. Option one was Knecht. He fell down. Option two was Josiah on the baseline. The bigs stay in to rebound and kick. When Josiah got the ball, ZZ stayed put to get the kick. So did DK. Everything went wrong— missed shot, no guard’s rebounding etc. It’s unfortunate, but unfortunately it was the only look available.

I think people have high expectations for this team and losing to Kentucky before tourney games start leaves a sour taste in your mouth
Still. Disappointed is one thing. Acting as if there is no reason to be happy because of " here we go again" whining. I will never understand it. I am disappointed if we lose. The only time I am upset with the team is when it was a poor effort from the team or coaches. If they lose to a good team, regardless of sport, then it happens. 3 out of 4 wins against top 20 teams is pretty good regardless.

Reactions: DuckInAPen and Caz
Still. Disappointed is one thing. Acting as if there is no reason to be happy because of " here we go again" whining. I will never understand it. I am disappointed if we lose. The only time I am upset with the team is when it was a poor effort from the team or coaches. If they lose to a good team, regardless of sport, then it happens. 3 out of 4 wins against top 20 teams is pretty good regardless.
It definitely wasn’t a poor effort. Just disappointing

It definitely wasn’t a poor effort. Just disappointing
Tennessee always plays hard under Barnes. Looking at it as objectively as I can, I can’t see Tennessee winning out all the way through the SEC tournament and then through the NCAAs without a loss. So if you were to pick one to lose this one would be it. But damn I hate Kentucky.

Being down by three on an inbounds play, the opposing team is going to bring the bigs out of the lane to guard the three. Any look at a three in that situation is rare. A single cover from a closing guard is about as good a look as you’ll get. We pulled our bigs out of the offense to rebound. Option one was Knecht. He fell down. Option two was Josiah on the baseline. The bigs stay in to rebound and kick. When Josiah got the ball, ZZ stayed put to get the kick. So did DK. Everything went wrong— missed shot, no guard’s rebounding etc. It’s unfortunate, but unfortunately it was the only look available.

I appreciate the explanation.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Tennessee always plays hard under Barnes. Looking at it as objectively as I can, I can’t see Tennessee winning out all the way through the SEC tournament and then through the NCAAs without a loss. So if you were to pick one to lose this one would be it. But damn I hate Kentucky.
No doubt. Effort is never an issue. Maybe unfocused and timid at times but never a lack of effort

I know this thread is about KY game...but to leave a lady wide open to beat you...in what woulda been a huge upset and saved Kellies job...should end up costing it. I don't care she's never made a 3 before...you cover her. Horrible end of game management. That has to be it for Kellie.
I agree with every thing you said.

VN Store

Back