The Official #4 Tennessee vs #1 Arkansas Weekend Game Thread (Game 1 Friday @ 6:30 PM) (Game 2 Saturday @ 12 PM) (Game 3 Sunday @ 1 PM)

I think we’re still in a great position. We don’t need to worry about what any other team does going into the last weekend. All we have to do is win games.

Agree. There is one team with 8 losses (Ark), two with 9 (including us and Vandy, but Vandy is one HUGE game behind in the win column), and two with 10 ( State and Fla)

So, if we win out, we will be seeded at least #2. Figure Florida will lose at least one against Ark, and Ark will lose at least one. State will play Bama at Bama and will hopefully lose at least one. So, if we lose one, it might not hurt. But if we lose two, it could be not so good. If we win out and ARk loses two, we are champs. Could happen.

Reactions: txbo and TN_gal
Why? He admitted he said something “dumb” at some point (not necessarily there). No one will ever know. I like fire in my head coach who isn’t afraid to mix it up with his mentor.

I would guess Max’s celebration might have had something to do with it.
No, he said it was dumb to do it at that time.

Reactions: TN_gal and VolGee4
CTV admits, just like I said, it was the wrong time and place for the discussion.
Maturity comes with experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: TN_gal
That scout seems ill informed since the draft will only have 20 rounds.

Exactly. He will have to sign as a free agent. 20K take it or leave it, he has no leverage as a senior. It’s a shame too, could have been a million dollar arm but Van Horn has turned him into a 87-89 mph arm throwing 80% sliders, curves, and cutters. That works when you face hitters maybe 2 games a year. Van Horn knows that doesn’t work when you have to face the same hitters 19 games times a year at the next level. Van Horn should pay the kid out of his own wallet after the year is over the million he cost him but you can bet your ass that won’t happen.

Just to be clear, the kid has given his all for his university and has been great. His university has not given their all to protect the player and his future.

Exactly. He will have to sign as a free agent. 20K take it or leave it, he has no leverage as a senior. It’s a shame too, could have been a million dollar arm but Van Horn has turned him into a 87-89 mph arm throwing 80% sliders, curves, and cutters. That works when you face hitters maybe 2 games a year. Van Horn knows that doesn’t work when you have to face the same hitters 19 games times a year at the next level. Van Horn should pay the kid out of his own wallet after the year is over the million he cost him but you can bet your ass that won’t happen.

Just to be clear, the kid has given his all for his university and has been great. His university has not given their all to protect the player and his future.
Article written talking about lack of interest from scouts The Athletic's Senior Baseball Writer Hurls Some Major League Disregard Kevin Kopps' Way - Best of Arkansas Sports

Yep 0.68 ERA is nothing special

It’s straight little league numbers. He is getting those pitches on the chalk right now from SEC umpires. He won’t get those if Arkansas gets to Omaha. Too many eyes and iPhones will be on those strike calls. If I were one of the 3 coaches in their regional, I would take printouts of pitches to the meeting at home plate and let the umpires know that if they are going call those strikes late then they better call them early and both ways. I have watched 13 strikes he got on the damn chalk in two games and froze them on my TV screen. This is a damn joke and puts the outcome of these games in the umpire’s hand instead of the players.

Vandy should sweep Kentucky, but their bullpen is a shadow of its former self. They lost three guys to injury and then had a stupid campus Covid-19 rule sideline their #3 starter who never even got Covid-19.

He may be back by the UK series but at this point I doubt Corbin cares. He needs a healthy pitching staff and right now they are in worse shape for Hoover than any time I can previously remember.

Again, he wasn't anywhere near an MLB prospect before this year. Some Arkansas fans even thought he would be better off giving up baseball after the COVID season and cringed every time he came into the game. He was never a "million dollar arm". Chances are no one on this board even had heard of him lol. There's a reason this is like his 6th year in college.

He's not the first and won't be the last great college pitcher that doesn't project well at the next level. Nick Marshall was a really good college QB, doesn't mean he was an NFL QB and has nothing to do with the coaching staff lol. If he was Dallas Keuchel, Drew Smyly or the others DVH has coached then we wouldn't be having this conversation just because they have different skillsets. Pretty sure Arkansas is 1 or 2 in the SEC in players on major league rosters, or at least was last year at some point. Don't think he would kill a guy's future just for the fun of it.

Reactions: VolnJC and vol66
Again, he wasn't anywhere near an MLB prospect before this year. Some Arkansas fans even thought he would be better off giving up baseball after the COVID season and cringed every time he came into the game. He was never a "million dollar arm". Chances are no one on this board even had heard of him lol. There's a reason this is like his 6th year in college.

He's not the first and won't be the last great college pitcher that doesn't project well at the next level. Nick Marshall was a really good college QB, doesn't mean he was an NFL QB and has nothing to do with the coaching staff lol. If he was Dallas Keuchel, Drew Smyly or the others DVH has coached then we wouldn't be having this conversation just because they have different skillsets. Pretty sure Arkansas is 1 or 2 in the SEC in players on major league rosters, or at least was last year at some point. Don't think he would kill a guy's future just for the fun of it.

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. You are right, I certainly didn’t know much about the young man prior to this season. But he’s having one of those years, not unlike Liam Spence is having for us this season. Appreciate you stopping by and good luck the rest of the way, y’all are fantastic defensively, really impressed with that last weekend.

GBO!!!

Reactions: SmokinBob

VN Store

Back