The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

5.7 ammo isn’t prohibitively expensive imo.

5.7x28 Ammo | SGAmmo.com

The AE plinking stuff seems reasonable enough, still almost 50% over .223 or 9mm bulk though.

To me, it's a niche caliber that some folks really want to be one of the "big boys" but really is limited to that military specific PDW role since ballistics just aren't going to be great with it. I mean, it was designed to tear through Eastern Block body armor and does so fairly well from everything I've read. The P90 really was nice in the fact it was almost the only PDW at the time and the bullpup design really made it attractive. Adding in the Hollywood hype and it really took off. The Five-Seven was a natural evolution of that design and round.

Still though, other than the AP purposes for which it was designed, it really doesn't do much more in the handgun role than a modern 9mm, .40 S&W or .45. A few more shots, maybe a little more controllable on the recoil impulse and follow up shots, but nothing game changing.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
The AE plinking stuff seems reasonable enough, still almost 50% over .223 or 9mm bulk though.

To me, it's a niche caliber that some folks really want to be one of the "big boys" but really is limited to that military specific PDW role since ballistics just aren't going to be great with it. I mean, it was designed to tear through Eastern Block body armor and does so fairly well from everything I've read. The P90 really was nice in the fact it was almost the only PDW at the time and the bullpup design really made it attractive. Adding in the Hollywood hype and it really took off. The Five-Seven was a natural evolution of that design and round.

Still though, other than the AP purposes for which it was designed, it really doesn't do much more in the handgun role than a modern 9mm, .40 S&W or .45. A few more shots, maybe a little more controllable on the recoil impulse and follow up shots, but nothing game changing.
Sure, but if you go back and read Marcus’ post, capacity and quick follow up shots are his reasons for wanting the pistol.

When it comes to the design of small arms, there’s nothing new under the sun.

I had a 5.7 when they first came out and thought it was solid little pistol. We should be able to get the AP ammo (that’s a discussion for another time)
They come as standard (in free states) with 20 round mags and 30’s are available. In a home defense role, that is ideal. After all, we realize that a large magazine isn’t so we can shoot more, it’s so we have to manipulate the weapon less.

I foolishly traded away my 5.7 pistol for an utterly rubbish Sig Sauer 556 rifle. That rifle wouldn’t do better than 4” at 100 yards with black hills premium fodder. Meh... such is life.

Sure, but if you go back and read Marcus’ post, capacity and quick follow up shots are his reasons for wanting the pistol.

When it comes to the design of small arms, there’s nothing new under the sun.

I had a 5.7 when they first came out and thought it was solid little pistol. We should be able to get the AP ammo (that’s a discussion for another time)
They come as standard (in free states) with 20 round mags and 30’s are available. In a home defense role, that is ideal. After all, we realize that a large magazine isn’t so we can shoot more, it’s so we have to manipulate the weapon less.

I foolishly traded away my 5.7 pistol for an utterly rubbish Sig Sauer 556 rifle. That rifle wouldn’t do better than 4” at 100 yards with black hills premium fodder. Meh... such is life.

I would never sway someone from buying something they have their heart set on. Just not my cup of tea.

The post was more of a general rant on society rather than a specific "don't buy this thing" sorta post.

Went shooting on my boss/bros land friday. Shot several AR15s in .223, a sig and palmetto which both had scopes that also had a laser dot in them...the sig was nicer. Also shot an AR10? In .308..same type scope, all 3 had fold up sights as well...huge huge difference in power amd recoil between the .223s and the .308. I was far more accurate with the sig. Also shot his binelli 12 gauge, it had never been fired and still had the crap in it so it would only hold 2 plus 1 in the pipe. Shot a bunch of pistols, he has a hammerless .38 that lools really cool but only has like a 3inch barrel. None of the 3 of us were even halfway accurate from more than 10 feet. It was ridiculous...i like wheel guns, but anything with a 3 inch barrel isnt going to be very accurate...that said, with a pocket. 380 rougly the same size, i have shot easily twice as accurate as that .38..not sure why.

By far my favorite, and my next purchase, will be a 5.7...
His was made in Belgium, and holds 20 basically rifle rounds. It surely has no knockdown power, but it is an absolute tack driver. Like a .22 rifle. Accuracy ends threats, and a single 5.7 round in the head will either kill a man or get him fleeing if somehow he didnt die..i am not nearly the marksman yall are, and the 1st time i shot this gun, from about 30 ft i put every single round in about a 6inch group...i ran 2 more magazines at 20rds each through it, and i am pretty confident that at 25 or 30 feet i could pick which eye to shoot a man in if he were standing still. Center mass or lung shots would be a joke. I couldnt miss without something really crazy happening. For a man like you GW that qualifies with several pistols, i bet you could shoot 2 inch groups from 30 to 40 feet all day. The most accurate pistol i have ever shot by far, though i must confess that i have never shot a long barrel .22 before and have always heard that they are tack drivers, too. From what my bro said, his was expensive though...GW , grand, others...do you know of an american 5.7 that is reasonably priced but well made? I am saving up starting now. I will own one. I know big pistols are better in many cases, but i am no marksman..and cant afford a bunch of ammo or range time to become one. I have a mossberg persuader 12 gauge if i need some thump. I will sleep well knowing that i can place rounds, rapidly with no barrel rise, pretty much wherever i want them inside 30 or 40 feet. Thanks for your input.

I don't think there's any mainstream manufacturer of 5.7x28 other than FN. There's the Excel Accelerator but I don't know anything about the brand or the pistol. Everything else seems to be MAC 10 looking stuff like the Masterpiece Arms Defender or AR pistol variants like the CMMG Banshee. If you know you like the FN and want one I say save up and get one.

Won't quote all the posts, but i appreciate everyones input. I asked here for a reason, i respect yall and you know so much more about firearms than I do..i dont pretend to know much. Also not a very good shot with pistols, never have been, honestly thats why i loved his pistol so much. The accuracy i had with zero barrel rise and high capacity really impressed me. As usual for me, it may be out of reach, my boss paid 1200 for his from a friend of ours that served...i dont know if i can even get 1 if they are supposed to be only for LE and military...it will likely take me a couple years to save up that much money..so i have time to consider it. Wife and 2 kids still at home, and i wouldnt take away from them to buy an expensive pistol, so ill take my time. The 12 gauge is OK for now, and we have a .380 that i leave around for the wife. Its decent from across a room..thats about it. Really appreciate your help, that ballistics report was interesting. Wonder if the round would start flipping like that in the soft tissue of human bodies like it did in the denser pork roast? Honestly, if i bought this pistol and ever needed to shoot someone to protect my family, with no barrel rise, i would dump so many rounds in them, it wouldnt matter. Nobody is likely to walk away from a swiss cheese encounter...hope that never happens. I came up in a time when if you couldnt whip a mans arse, you had better just steer clear of them
Simpler times.

I drop by this thread every now and then and thought I'd share this...

Took my 10 year old shooting for the first time this past weekend with my M&P Shield 9. She did great! We've been practicing firearms safety for months and months prior to her going so, for her birthday, she asked to go.

We'll work on her grouping later but, for now, I could not have been happier at how well she did.

Attachments

• 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190202143157703_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190202143157703_COVER.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

Took my 10 year old shooting for the first time this past weekend with my M&P Shield 9. She did great! We've been practicing firearms safety for months and months prior to her going so, for her birthday, she asked to go.

We'll work on her grouping later but, for now, I could not have been happier at how well she did.

That is awesome Dad! Nothing like a good dose of toxic masculinity to help a young lady become equal.

FYI... if you get her grip higher, she'll control the recoil better.

That is awesome Dad! Nothing like a good dose of toxic masculinity to help a young lady become equal.

FYI... if you get her grip higher, she'll control the recoil better.

We worked on that. She's a softball player so she's used to gripping low, I had to break her of the habit.

Reactions: txbo

That's good stuff.

Installed the Hogue "cargo grip" on AR #1 today. Basically, it's the standard Hogue overmolded grip with a plastic floor plate, a u-shaped wire, and plastic cutouts that let you store batteries (CR123, AA, etc.) inside the grip. Good idea, but the floor plate is a bitch to get in, which means it will be tough to get out if/when the time comes. I expected better engineering from Hogue. Still, if I'm ever in the woods with a K-9 team on a long track, or lose my TLR-1 inside a building, I'll be glad I have it.

And having not learned a dang thing from my last experience with a Colt AR grip change, I ended up getting the safety detent spring lost inside the trigger housing (don't ask), which meant eventually having to learn how to remove and then re-install the trigger group. Took awhile, but I finally figured it out, and let's just call it good training. The other good news is that it only took me about 3 minutes to put the old Hogue grip on AR #2, and no issues with the detent spring. Third time's the charm, at least for me. Upper Management came out to the garage twice to ask me if I was OK, which is the Good Lord's way of telling me to dial it back on the "S Bombs".

So I end the day with Hogue grips on both AR's; a decent understanding of how the AR-15 trigger group works; and a lovely Geissele hammer mark on my left thumbnail. And that booger is sore, let me tell you.

I honestly think I could make money with a YouTube channel of my life and its' misadventures. You all being my friends, I'd let you in for free.

Go Vols.

Wanted to get some thoughts on this. My neighbor sees to think it's a decent deal. He has the know how to put it together and says we could assemble in about 30 min. Not looking for something I can put a lot of bells and whistles on. Just something that should be reliable and that I feel confident it will fire when I pull the trigger. Have also been looking at the Ruger 9mm carbine. Was leaning towards it since I carry a Glock 9mm daily already and it will take the Glock mags.

Capture.PNG

Wanted to get some thoughts on this. My neighbor sees to think it's a decent deal. He has the know how to put it together and says we could assemble in about 30 min. Not looking for something I can put a lot of bells and whistles on. Just something that should be reliable and that I feel confident it will fire when I pull the trigger. Have also been looking at the Ruger 9mm carbine. Was leaning towards it since I carry a Glock 9mm daily already and it will take the Glock mags.

View attachment 193862

I don't have any experience with that particular kit but PSA kits are typically decent value type stuff.

You do however say that reliability is the one thing you are looking to achieve. Is this going to be something that would be used to defend your life? If so, how much confidence do you really expect from a $279 kit that you and your neighbor put together in 30 minutes?

I don't have any experience with that particular kit but PSA kits are typically decent value type stuff.

You do however say that reliability is the one thing you are looking to achieve. Is this going to be something that would be used to defend your life? If so, how much confidence do you really expect from a $279 kit that you and your neighbor put together in 30 minutes?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm just trying to get my feet wet without spending a ton. Def wouldn't rely on it for home defense till it has been tried and true. It's what he has as his home defense. He bought his lower from our local gun shop and his runs like a champ. He has an extensive background with assembling long guns but didn't want to rely on 1 persons opinion.

View attachment 193862
That's not a terrible deal. I'm not a fan of the raised front site and hand guard but that's me. I prefer some kind of a rail, either a key-mod or m-lock. You could probably piece something together with a similar price but you would have to do some of the assembly yourself. With this kit you'll also need a stripped lower. If you're patient you can find an Anderson for $39. The lower is the part that is considered the "gun" so you'll have to have it shipped to an FFL and pay a transfer fee and background check, usually $30 ish. The lower parts kit is included with this kit.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm just trying to get my feet wet without spending a ton. Def wouldn't rely on it for home defense till it has been tried and true. It's what he has as his home defense. He bought his lower from our local gun shop and his runs like a champ. He has an extensive background with assembling long guns but didn't want to rely on 1 persons opinion.
I see you already have a lower. But just in case and you need another.....

Anderson Manufacturing AR-15 Stripped Lower Receiver AR-15-A3

And if you wanted to stay with the PSA....

PSA AR-15 Lower Safe/Fire - 1728

Reactions: ob79
I've had several pistols in the past, but none currently. King Cobra 6" .357. Couple cheap .32 autos that jammed more than they shot. Beretta fs 9mm. Ithaca WWII era .45 1911. (I was young and dumb and traded that for the Beretta. He gave me a choice of anything in the case, two boxes ammo, and holster of my choosing. I should have known then I was screwing up. It had two barrels, both of which were wore out and wouldn't hit the same target twice, and 6 clips, 4 of which were still wrapped in oiled banana leaves). I loved shooting the Beretta however.

My wife is wanting one, so I'm in the market. It has to be wife friendly, and easy to shoot, but reliable. Suggestions?

VN Store

Back