The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

Going to sell the enfield I just bought if anyone in the Midstate area wants it or knows anyone that does...

P.s.- I bought it like I do ten times a year without asking the misses.......this one time, she cares.

Bless your soul, and I mean that in the good way. Been there, done that, and then had to make it right with the missus. I always just blame it on GV.

That worked for a while, but then he ruined it by reaching out directly to upper management. The nerve of that guy...

:salute:

Well...I figured there's no way she's Navy, as they send the Marines to handle all of their close-in gunfights. Obviously not a Marine, because it looks like she has bathed in the last 6 weeks. Can't be Army, since the weapon doesn't look like a leftover relic from 1971. And not Coast Guard, since she's too short. Have to be at least 6'0" for the CG, so you can walk back to the beach if your boat sinks.

That left the Air Force. But on second look, you're right. Judging by the shadows, this incident took place after 4 pm. There's no way a USAF vet would engage in something as disgusting as a shootout after normal working hours.

My apologies for the incorrect analysis.

LOL! That's funny.

Reactions: 1 person
That worked for a while, but then he ruined it by reaching out directly to upper management. The nerve of that guy...

:salute:

Just wait until I send another package with another note telling upper management you really need to stop sending me stuff.

And watch you try to explain it away.

"But honey, he's just fooling around! I swear!"

I'm about to buy a Sig P320C from gunbroker.com

price is great. no tax. I rented one at the range last month & it felt great in my hands. Fired really well too.

Long day. Just got home from Night Ops, and I have court at 0900 tomorrow, then back to work in the PM.

GV: Management is leaving Saturday morning for two weeks. Business conference in Pittsburgh, then a week with her Mom (new widow) just down the road. And I have cleared my calendar for Saturday to dial in the scoped AR as best I can.

I think I've been overthinking the ammo angle. The Federal 62gr JSP's and 55gr FMJ's should be just fine at the ranges I plan to shoot at (300 or less). So I'm thinking dial it in on the 62gr rounds, since those have the best terminal performance, and then see where the 55's go in comparison. I have all day if I need it, and a loooooot of ammo to shoot. I'm limited to 100 yards Saturday.

Any suggestions? Remember, the P223 is AR-specific, and uses a BDC reticule, plus the SpotOn app. Should be easy.

Following Saturday looks like I'll have the opportunity to hit a hunt club with a 200 yard range. All they asked in return is to put down any hogs I see.

Shooting and sausage. Match made in heaven.

GW, just remember that BDC won't work accurately for a 62 grain load. It'll be close, but not spot on like it could be with the designed load.

Long day. Just got home from Night Ops, and I have court at 0900 tomorrow, then back to work in the PM.

GV: Management is leaving Saturday morning for two weeks. Business conference in Pittsburgh, then a week with her Mom (new widow) just down the road. And I have cleared my calendar for Saturday to dial in the scoped AR as best I can.

I think I've been overthinking the ammo angle. The Federal 62gr JSP's and 55gr FMJ's should be just fine at the ranges I plan to shoot at (300 or less). So I'm thinking dial it in on the 62gr rounds, since those have the best terminal performance, and then see where the 55's go in comparison. I have all day if I need it, and a loooooot of ammo to shoot. I'm limited to 100 yards Saturday.

Any suggestions? Remember, the P223 is AR-specific, and uses a BDC reticule, plus the SpotOn app. Should be easy.

Following Saturday looks like I'll have the opportunity to hit a hunt club with a 200 yard range. All they asked in return is to put down any hogs I see.

Shooting and sausage. Match made in heaven.

Do you have/have access to a chrono? If you can determine the velocity of whatever round out of your particular rifle and look up the BC for the bullet you can put that in the Spot On (I've got an M-223) and get the reticle values assigned for any load.

Do you have/have access to a chrono? If you can determine the velocity of whatever round out of your particular rifle and look up the BC for the bullet you can put that in the Spot On (I've got an M-223) and get the reticle values assigned for any load.

That would be the ideal way to handle it. If not, no big deal. He's looking for a 6" group at 300. Changes in those bullet weights won't make a 2 MOA difference at that distances. Set up a 3 MOA target, shoot it, DOPE it.

Also, I'd do a tall target test on the turrets. They don't have to be 100 accurate as long as they track properly with precision. If they do, DOPE it and have the ability to dial at 300.

Last edited:
GW, just remember that BDC won't work accurately for a 62 grain load. It'll be close, but not spot on like it could be with the designed load.

Well, it might. The P223 is "calibrated" for a 55gr polymer tip, but the SpotOn app lets you select your zero range, target range, and even the manufacturer and weight for a laundry list of 5.56 loads. The Federal 62gr FMJBT is there, and I haven't looked at anything other than Federal loads so far.

FYI, it also lets you input current Wx data, or you can use a function where it downloads the current Wx (temp, humidity, wind, even elevation) for your position. Pretty cool.

So I'll play with it and see what happens.

That would be the ideal way to handle it. If not, no big deal. He's looking for a 6" group at 300. Changes in those bullet weights won't make a 2 MOA difference at that distances. Set up a 3 MOA target, shoot it, DOPE it.

Also, I'd do a tall target test on the turrets. They don't have to be 100 accurate as long as they track properly with precision. If they do, DOPE it and have the ability to dial at 300.

Uhhh...can you put that in English for me?

My goal with the scoped AR is to be able to hit within 6 or so inches at 300 yards.

You reduce all that gumbledeegook to words I can understand, and I'll teach you how to find your Latitude off the North Star, fair enough?

Uhhh...can you put that in English for me?

My goal with the scoped AR is to be able to hit within 6 or so inches at 300 yards.

You reduce all that gumbledeegook to words I can understand, and I'll teach you how to find your Latitude off the North Star, fair enough?

Scope dope is what he's talking about. In a nutshell, it's a preset card with different ballistics of different rounds. Making a long story short, one might have a "primary load" that hits the center each and every time. Basically, your zero load. A dope card can (or will) give you ballistic data on a different load and what adjustments are needed to hit where you're aiming.

I.E. your "go to zero load" is your 62 grain stuff. You'd have a dope card that gives data for longer range shooting (holdovers, drop, drift, etc) with that load and also can give data (five clicks up, two right type of thing) for different loads like your M193 spec stuff. It allows you to "reset" your zero to a different type and weight of round without having to fire a round to confirm it since you already did it in advance.

You can have dope cards for a single load (windage and other environmental factors) or multiple dope cards for different rounds you might fire. It's not bad to keep track of such things if you routinely engage long range targets. Long range is obviously dependent on the rifle and caliber you are using.

A tall target test is a test to determine if your scope clicks are what the manufacturer says it is (1/4 MOA, 1/2 MOA, 1 mil, etc).

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/11/calibrate-your-clicks-with-tall-target-test/

It's nice to know exactly how your scope dials in, but...we're talking dedicated long range shooting stuff here. Like normally further than you'll be expected to engage. My opinion of course.

Speaking of accuracy, I've never been real pleased with my long range setup. I've tried different rounds but have never really been able to dial it in. I've not put a lot of expensive rounds down range though. My question is... What kind of grouping should I expect at 100 yards on the cheap FMJ stuff?

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of bullet drop scopes since they are generally designed for a single type of round out of a specific length barrel. I personally think you can get a better reading and higher accuracy with a dope card and a standard mil-dot reticle. Plus, if you have say, your Nikon specifically calibrated to a 55 grain polymer tipped round, well, which manufacturer? Hornady? Black Hills? Ultramax? Each manufacturer might load theirs slightly different or use a different powder which can increase or decrease velocity which, in turn, changes point of impact.

Furthermore, they say the .223 and 5.56 rounds. But knowing there is a reduced velocity with .223 compared to 5.56, that will affect point of aim and impact at distance. For the weekend soda can shooter, this won't make much of a difference as generally they won't be able to tell as much. For the shooter going for the quarter club at 300 yards, swapping .223 for 5.56 or vice versa can cause a serious case of wadding panties.

Most folks won't actually see much of a difference in said point of impact. There will be some, but not much. However, to precision shooters, they see a huge difference. Which is why so many roll their own ammo as they've determined exactly what their rifle "likes" and keep count of each and every round fired through a barrel. And think nothing of ripping off a barrel after 1,500 rounds and replacing it.

Anyway, a BDC isn't a horrible thing to use, especially if one is always using the same type of rounds out of the same platform that it's calibrated for. Take the TA01NSN ACOG for example. It's BDC is calibrated for a 62 grain round out of a 14.5 inch barrrel. Other Trijis are calibrated for different loads and barrel lengths. Not exactly a "precision" optic, but serviceable for military use and (generally) making hits at 500 yards quickly.

Last edited:
Speaking of accuracy, I've never been real pleased with my long range setup. I've tried different rounds but have never really been able to dial it in. I've not put a lot of expensive rounds down range though. My question is... What kind of grouping should I expect at 100 yards on the cheap FMJ stuff?

Describe "cheap FMJ stuff." We talking Russian animal brands or M193 spec or (notoriously inaccurate and inconsistent) M855 spec? Bulk pack Privi or PMC?

Describe "cheap FMJ stuff." We talking Russian animal brands or M193 spec or (notoriously inaccurate and inconsistent) M855 spec? Bulk pack Privi or PMC?

I meant to put that in there and forgot. I'm talking federal American eagle 55grain fmj.

I meant to put that in there and forgot. I'm talking federal American eagle 55grain fmj.

I'm probably thinking around 2 MOA. Maybe a hair more depending on your setup and barrel.

Is it not grouping or what? What's your barrel length, type and twist?

And before you answer, I'd try getting my hands on a bench rest and try the Black Hills 68 grain .223 heavy match ammo to check for grouping. It's kind of a universal round that should (should, mind you) be fine in your setup so long as your twist is 1/9 or under.

I've bench shot it at 100. The barrel is a stainless fluted heavy at 20". 1:8 twist. I haven't shot it in a while but I can't recall the exact grouping, just I was surprised it wasn't better. Seems like it was 4" or better. I'll shoot it again and report back.

VN Store

Back