The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

It's a long story...I've probably already told it here at least once, so no full-length repeat...but over the past four or five years I have spent a lot of time, and more money than I'd care to think about, putting my home into a position where we can hold our own, off the grid, for anywhere from 10-30 days, depending on how long the generator, spare gas, Wise food, MRE's, water, ammo, and luck holds out. Obviously, the need to be able to mount a strong self-defense capability is included. Thus began my most recent love affair with all things 5.56 and .45 ACP. Solely in the interest of "interchangeability of parts in a pinch", I went all-Colt with my 2nd and soon-to-be 3rd AR. I probably could have done it better, cheaper, or both, but I decided to stick with Colt and the price that comes with buying a brand-name. Toss in a spare BCG up on the shelf, plus all of the original parts that I saved when I upgraded triggers, stocks, grips, etc., and I've got a nice collection of spare parts should anything fall off one of my rifles.

Or, as GV would so eloquently state, I'm "queer for Colt". Be that as it may, I am simply not in the same league as some of you out there that have a toy collection that would make Eugene Tackleberry look like Obama Girl. Every gun I own was bought for the sole purpose of self-defense. I don't hunt anymore; I don't shoot competitively (or all that well to begin with); nor do I sit naked in my closet and watch Apocalypse Now while cleaning my guns. Self-defense, plain and simple.

I have no doubt I would have loved the Victor. Just as good as the Colt (if not better for CQB); cheaper; and much less hassle to acquire. It all but came down to a coin flip. I'll let you know in a few months if I like the way I went. I did get the opportunity to play around with one (not shoot) a while back...can't remember where or how...and I really like the way that gun mounts and moves through hallways and doors. So we'll see.
Sounds like it :p

Really? I don't know if we can be friends

*you also forgot to say while draped in the American flag

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
Bought a spare Colt BCG a while back. Figured it would be a good idea, since any "hard failure" would likely involve the BCG. Been in bubble wrap up on a shelf since I got it.

Pulled it down; put a good coat of Mobile 1 on it; put it in a ziplock bag; and back up on the shelf.

Good move, or better way for long-term storage?

Bought a spare Colt BCG a while back. Figured it would be a good idea, since any "hard failure" would likely involve the BCG. Been in bubble wrap up on a shelf since I got it.

Pulled it down; put a good coat of Mobile 1 on it; put it in a ziplock bag; and back up on the shelf.

I don't know about ziplock bag but that might just be me

You may have run across this before but here's one man's descent into madness (or moreso than I'd ever attempt) looking for the best rust inhibitor regarding firearms.

Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared

You may have run across this before but here's one man's descent into madness (or moreso than I'd ever attempt) looking for the best rust inhibitor regarding firearms.

Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared

Good Lord. Masters degree in corrosion protection.

I was just following the crowd on Mobil 1 for AR lube. I know you run an AR "wet". I figured leaving the BCG in a sealed bag coated in Mobil 1 would make sure it was ready to run if I ever needed it.

Thanks for the info. I'm saving the article for future reference.

I hear ya. Much the same here. I've been nibbling at the bait on an SBR/AR pistol for almost a year now. I've got another year, two at the most on the blue line, and then it'll be time to hang it up. But having a short carbine to work buildings and hallways with is a plus, so...

I was down to the 6933 and the Saint Victor. Both had good reviews. But the 6933 keeps my AR collection "all Colt", and so I benefit from complete interchangeability when the Zombies show up. That, and I can see the day when SBR's, and possibly AR pistols are legislated out of our reach. Figured I'd get one while I could.

Go Vols.
My RDB has a 17" barrel and still has the same overall length of SBRs (collapsed). So that pretty much nullifies my need for an SBR. Plus I get a longer barrel (so better accuracy and velocity).

Granted it weighs a little more (just a little over 1 lb.), but I'm not concerned with weight considering what I'm used to

Frog Lube looks pretty darn good
I use frog lube on my AR's and semi 22s....anything that gets "dirty" and is semi auto ....seems easier to clean parts after shooting. One word of caution ...dont put to much on your firing pin where it goes thru your bcg.....tendency to stick somewhat...caused a misfire once....learned my lesson.
Just my .02

I use frog lube on my AR's and semi 22s....anything that gets "dirty" and is semi auto ....seems easier to clean parts after shooting. One word of caution ...dont put to much on your firing pin where it goes thru your bcg.....tendency to stick somewhat...caused a misfire once....learned my lesson.
Just my .02
I keep my stuff very lightly oiled.

Reactions: Pineyvol
Any recent experience on the wait time on Form 4's?

p.s. - Nice pickup, DTH. Nice gun. Nice group. I could do that...at 3 yards.

Any recent experience on the wait time on Form 4's?

p.s. - Nice pickup, DTH. Nice gun. Nice group. I could do that...at 3 yards.

No but Form 1's are coming back in under two months. Buy the lower separate from the upper and do a Form 1.

No but Form 1's are coming back in under two months. Buy the lower separate from the upper and do a Form 1.

Too late. I bought a Colt 6933 on Gunbroker. Had some issues with the FFL/SOT on this end, but it should be on it's way shortly. Once it gets here, I still have to bring it up to fighting trim (trigger, RDS, stock, sling, ambi CH, light, etc.). Just trying to get an idea of how much time I have so I can spread out the allocations.

Upper Management blessed the purchase, so i want to spread out the "add-ons" so as to be able to conceal them in the defense budget...lol.

Also, even though I recommended skipping out on another PRO (only because why have 2 of something when you can have 1 of even more stuff), I ended up going with it. I got a deal I couldn't refuse.

BTW if anyone is looking to purchase a Remington 700P TWS, I may be interested in parting with it....MAYBE

Also, even though I recommended skipping out on another PRO (only because why have 2 of something when you can have 1 of even more stuff), I ended up going with it. I got a deal I couldn't refuse.

BTW if anyone is looking to purchase a Remington 700P TWS, I may be interested in parting with it....MAYBE

Yeah, I'm thinking move the PRO to the 6933, and then I'm looking at the Vortex Spitfire 3X for my current HD AR. The 6933 will be my new default HD and duty AR. For duty purposes, I have to think Active Shooter / clearing buildings / hallways / vehicles / and shots under 100 yards. Likely much closer than that. So a simple RDS to get on target and engage quickly. The PRO more than fits that need. For AR #2, might be nice to have the magnification of the Vortex, but still be able to go "both eyes open" for closer shots. The Spitfire 3X gets really good reviews no matter where I look.

If it's a barricaded subject, then stay behind the engine block and look unimportant until the Ninjas get there. The 6933, as I plan to set it up, will serve me well for almost any situation I might run in to. The rest is on me.

Another decision is whether to move the TLR-1HL to the 6933, and mount the Scout on #2...or vice versa. I love both lights. The Scout is plain and simple; on or off. The TLR-1HL gives me a strobe option, but is a bit trickier to operate under stress, so...

I dunno at this point. I have time to decide.

Last edited:
Nice looking rifle. It deserves nice glass. These are the salad days for optics. Lots of good choices. How much you looking to spend?

Bout $5

I was originally likely to go with a 1-8x, but have now decided at a minimum, I'll likely do a 3-9x.

Didn't even realize, but I also got a Geissele Super Precision Pro Mount w/ the Aimpoint*

*it wasn't even in the listing

Last edited:
Reactions: txbo

VN Store

Back