The Official #22 Tennessee @ #18 Kentucky Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, ESPN

Yeah I hope the team keeps that perspective. Games at Bama, LSU, and UK are a tough start to the season. Plenty of games left to continue to improve.
It was extremely tough, SEC decided to screw us once again (are we even surprised). Post game press conference from Barnes and players were telling. They know **** has to change, but idk if they can/will.

Somebody check on this fella and his son 🥴

All good. Our section was a bit of an older crowd and they were very kind. Lots of grammys lookin to pinch cheeks and what not. My son even scored some free popcorn.

That being said UK fans complain about absolutely every whistle and every time a Tennessee player picked up their dribble it was a walk and the refs were just blind, etc.
Even up by 30 they couldn’t just let it ride and enjoy the game.

All good. Our section was a bit of an older crowd and they were very kind. Lots of grammys lookin to pinch cheeks and what not. My son even scored some free popcorn.

That being said UK fans complain about absolutely every whistle and every time a Tennessee player picked up their dribble it was a walk and the refs were just blind, etc.
Even up by 30 they couldn’t just let it ride and enjoy the game.

Never a bad day at a sporting event with your child 💪🏼

So 2 full seasons? Including one which our best returning player was hurt for. The most remarkable thing about this is how some of our “fans” seem to cheer this.

Not sure where you get that I or anyone else are "cheering" this but it's pretty clear this team doesn't have leaders or a low post presence like they did with the Schofield/Williams combo.

Feel free to twist this response into another BS response about being happy the Vols are losing however.

Kentucky hit only 7 more shots than us and had 14 more made free throws..when your starting forwards combine for 6 points, 0 rebounds and like 3 assists, you’re not gonna win many games. I appreciate what Fulky has done over the last (what seems like) 10 years but he has like 2-3 good games a season. Dude is 24 and getting outplayed and out muscles by 18 year olds

Kentucky outscored Tennessee 32-11 off of turnovers. That was the game right there. When a team gets 32 points off turnovers their shooting percentage is going to be very high.

Of course the Vols get blown on at 1pm on national TV. Embarrassing. They will definitely be outside the top 25 now, but that's where they should be.

To me this bad bait. Next year turner goes out, and we kept changing lineups several times. We was lucky to be .500 overall. Next year covid, and teams couldn’t practice with each in the summer to gain chemistry and get better. Worst year ever to have one and dones. Let’s see how this year finishes before we say this.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
To me this bad bait. Next year turner goes out, and we kept changing lineups several times. We was lucky to be .500 overall. Next year covid, and teams couldn’t practice with each in the summer to gain chemistry and get better. Worst year ever to have one and dones. Let’s see how this year finishes before we say this.
All I read are excuses

All I read are excuses
Called you being ignorant. What you expect a team that lost 4 of 5 starters before the season started and losing the other 10 games into the season. Team wasn’t that good. Next year covid, bring several new faces and couldn’t get a really do much to create a team chemistry. Aka look at Kentucky last year. This year holds a lot more value than last 2 years. If we struggle all the way to finish then yeah, we got several major issues. If not, go sit in the corner.

Last edited:
Called you being ignorant. What you expect a team that lost 4 of 5 starters before the season started and losing the other 10 games into the season. Team wasn’t that good. Next year covid, bring several new faces and couldn’t get a really do much to create a team chemistry. Aka look at Kentucky last year. This year holds a lot more value than last 2 years. If we struggle all the way to finish then yeah, we got several major issues. If not, go sit in the corner.
Again, every team has to deal with these issues. The great ones replace 4 or 5 starters every year and are really good. Youre just making excuses for Barnes. I'll add you to the list of he can do no wrong.

Reactions: Big time vol
Again, every team has to deal with these issues. The great ones replace 4 or 5 starters every year and are really good. Youre just making excuses for Barnes. I'll add you to the list of he can do no wrong.
If you can back through my messages I have said several issues on what Barnes does. I even did today, his lineups/rotations have to change (aka time for BHH to play and Fulk ride the pine), but you are acting like Tennessee is Duke and Kentucky that brings in top 3/5 classes every year, we don’t. It’s hard for us to replace that production like we did. All be damn, the one year we bring in a great class, covid happens and puts a hamper on us. That is why I’m saying this year more important than past 2 years. Team is built for success, and not happening. Barnes stubbornness has to stop and make the changes. You saying I think Barnes does no wrong is ridiculous.

If you can back through my messages I have said several issues on what Barnes does. I even did today, his lineups/rotations have to change (aka time for BHH to play and Fulk ride the pine), but you are acting like Tennessee is Duke and Kentucky that brings in top 3/5 classes every year, we don’t. It’s hard for us to replace that production like we did. All be damn, the one year we bring in a great class, covid happens and puts a hamper on us. That is why I’m saying this year more important than past 2 years. Team is built for success, and not happening. Barnes stubbornness has to stop and make the changes. You saying I think Barnes does no wrong is ridiculous.
The year after Grant and company left is on Barnes for lazy recruiting. He doesn't have to stack 5 stars every year, but he should've gotten talent that could play and had them waiting in the wings. Instead he brought in scraps. Whining about COVID last year is lazy every team in the country had to deal with it. This year he's too stubborn to play all his freshman. Go ahead and get the excuses ready for next year. This is what he is and what he does. Go look at his coaching career he peaks early and then his teams never get back to that level.

Reactions: Volfan1000
The year after Grant and company left is on Barnes for lazy recruiting. He doesn't have to stack 5 stars every year, but he should've gotten talent that could play and had them waiting in the wings. Instead he brought in scraps. Whining about COVID last year is lazy every team in the country had to deal with it. This year he's too stubborn to play all his freshman. Go ahead and get the excuses ready for next year. This is what he is and what he does. Go look at his coaching career he peaks early and then his teams never get back to that level.
Wasn’t lazy for recruiting, wasn’t in that situation to get high caliber players yet. Some just didn’t pan out, Dj burns really hurt more than anything, Barnes has handle situation better. Then covid year, go look at teams that had multiple one and dones. They weren’t good at all. The teams that had experience players, were the best teams. This year holds more weight for Barnes than past 2 years. I’m literally holding Barnes accountable for this season, but if it don’t good, then time for program to stare in the mirror.

Wasn’t lazy for recruiting, wasn’t in that situation to get high caliber players yet. Some just didn’t pan out, Dj burns really hurt more than anything, Barnes has handle situation better. Then covid year, go look at teams that had multiple one and dones. They weren’t good at all. The teams that had experience players, were the best teams. This year holds more weight for Barnes than past 2 years. I’m literally holding Barnes accountable for this season, but if it don’t good, then time for program to stare in the mirror.
Barnes can be blamed for taking Burns, they shouldve been able to tell DJ was too immature to handle the jump. Also, im not even saying get higher caliber players but get ok talent you can sit and develop. And again COVID is a lame excuse every team in the country had to deal with it, we had 2 whole Freshman, that still leaves at least 10 players that were on the roster before. Lets not sit here and pre tend he brought in 5 one and dones.

Credit to another poster for sharing this in another thread. How telling is this?

From 1998 until Rick Barnes arrived, Tennessee's record overall was 374-213 (.637) and in the SEC was 174-120 (.592). There were 11 NCAAs, 3 Sweet 16s and 1 Elite 8 in 18 seasons. Barnes' record is 136-76 (.617) overall and 61-46 in the SEC (.565). He has 3 NCAAs and 1 Sweet 16.

Rick Barnes arrived at UT in 2015. from 98 to 15 is 17 years. He's had 5 years of opportunity here for the NCAA tourney, and he's been there 3 of those five (and that after inheriting a mess). that's 60% of the time, and the previous 17 years was 11 times, or 65%. 3 SS's in 17 years is about one in every 6. Barnes is on that same pace (edited). So, please tell us what this tells us.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back