The Official #21 Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt Game Thread, 3:30 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#21 Tennessee Volunteers: 7-4 (3-4 SEC)

71638963007-kns-ut-uga-bp-12.jpg

vs.

Vanderbilt Commodores: 2-9 (0-7 SEC)

F-rIdStXsAElk1-

GAME 12 | NOV. 25, 2023 | 3:30 P.M. ET | KNOXVILLE, TENN. | NEYLAND STADIUM (101,915)

Weather
Hi:
59 / Low: 36 // Precip: 1%

Line: UT -27
O/U: 57.5

TV: SEC Network / Watch
Radio: Vol Network (FM 107.7 in Knoxville) / Listen / Live Stats
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM Ch. 119 or 192 // Online: Ch. 962

Vanderbilt Game Notes

F_dd9_PakAAsYVS

GAMEDAY INFO / TIMELINE

For the most up-to-date information on Tennessee's 2023 gameday policies, please visit the Tennessee Football Gameday Information page on UTSports.com.

New Wi-Fi at Neyland Stadium
Fans are encouraged to try RockTopWifi around all Neyland stadium gates and throughout the stadium bowl. RockyTopWifi is still a work in progress, but fans will see it light up everywhere as they enter the stadium, throughout all concourses and within all areas of the stadium bowl. Thank you for your patience as we bring Wi-Fi to everyone in Neyland Stadium. Join RockyTopWifi from your mobile device settings. No registration is required.

The gameday timeline as well as other important information is listed below.
*There is potential for a five-minute slide to the start time of Saturday's game, which would also push back Senior Day festivities by five minutes.

Will Call Opens at Gate 21 – 11:30 a.m.
Truly's Tailgate Opens – 11:30 a.m.
Vol Village Opens – Noon
Vol Walk – 1:15 p.m.
Gates Open – 1:30 p.m.
Pride of the Southland Band March – 1:50 p.m. (Pedestrian Bridge)
Senior Day Ceremony On Field – 3:09 p.m.
Pride of the Southland Band Pregame Performance Begins – 3:22 p.m.
National Anthem/Flyover – 3:24 p.m.
*Flyover featuring helicopters from the Knox County Sherriff's Aviation unit
Vols Run Through the T – 3:32 p.m.
Kickoff – 3:35 p.m. (Possible 5-minute slide)

NEED TO KNOW

Neyland Advantage
The Vols have proved that Neyland Stadium is one of the most feared venues in the country in the Heupel era. Tennessee is 17-4 at home under his watch, outscoring opponents 913-427. Three of the four losses at home under Heupel have come against teams ranked in the top 15, including a pair of No. 1-ranked Georgia teams. UT has defeated 12 straight unranked teams at home and is 13-1 versus unranked foes in Neyland under Heupel (L vs. Pitt, 2021). The Vols have won at least five home games for the third straight season, a first for the program since 1995-2001. A win on Saturday would give Tennessee 13 victories at home over the past two seasons, representing the most since winning 13 from 1998-99.

The Wright Stuff
Junior running back Jaylen Wright leads the nation's 11th-best rushing offense (205.7 ypg). The Durham, North Carolina, native has rushed for a career-high 938 yards on 126 carries and leads all FBS running backs with 7.44 yards per carry (min. 100 att.). That is second among all FBS players behind only LSU's Jayden Daniels. Wright is 62 yards away from becoming the Vols' first 1,000-yard rusher in a season since Jalen Hurd had 1,288 on 277 carries in 2015.

Negative Plays Aplenty
UT is once again among the SEC and national leaders in tackles for loss as well as sacks. The Vols' 86 TFLs this season rank second in the SEC and sixth nationally. The Big Orange have recorded at least four TFLs in 23 straight games dating back to last year. Tennessee also ranks second in the conference and eighth in the FBS with 34 sacks this season and has posted at least one in 15 consecutive games.

Vols in the CFP Rankings
Tennessee dropped three spots to No. 21 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings following last weekend's loss to No. 1 Georgia. The Vols have been ranked in each of the last 10 CFP rankings dating back to last season.

Last Time Out
Tennessee scored on the game's first play - a 75-yard burst by RB Jaylen Wright - but top-ranked Georgia outscored the Vols 38-3 the rest of the way in a 38-10 final in Neyland Stadium, which was sold out for the 12th straight game. The loss snapped the UT's 14-game home winning streak, which went down as the program's longest since claiming 23 straight home wins from 1996-2000. Tennessee was down eight starters due to injury - four on offense and four on defense - including WR Bru McCoy (season-ending), WR Dont'e Thornton Jr., LT John Campbell Jr., LG Andrej Karic, LB Keenan Pili, CB Kamal Hadden (season ending), STAR Tamarion McDonald and S Wesley Walker. Wright finished with 90 yards on nine carries, and QB Joe Milton III was 17-of-30 for 147 yards. Milton saw his consecutive games with a touchdown pass streak end at 14, the third-longest in school history. Georgia scored on four of its five possessions of the first half. CB Doneiko Slaughter registered a career and game-high 11 tackles, while LB Aaron Beasley added nine tackles, two tackles for loss, a sack and a fumble recovery. Squirrel White was the Vols' leading receiver with five catches for 45 yards. PK Charles Campbell made a 37-yard field goal to end the first half.

SERIES HISTORY

Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt: 79-32-5 (on field) | 77-32-5 (NCAA)
Saturday will mark the 117th meeting all-time between Tennessee and Vanderbilt. The series dates all the way back to 1892 and the two teams have played every year since 1945. This will be the 32nd and final meeting as SEC East foes (since 1992).

The Vols have won each of the last four meetings between the two programs with back-to-back 20-plus point wins under Heupel, including a 56-0 blanking of the Commodores in last year's regular-season finale.

ABOUT VANDERBILT

Vanderbilt is led by third-year head coach Clark Lea, who owns a 9-26 record as head coach of the program. The Commodores started this season 2-0 but have lost nine straight games entering Saturday's season finale.

Offensively, quarterbacks Ken Seals has taken hold of the starting job down the stretch and enters the game with 1,122 passing yards (98-for-170) and 10 touchdown passes with four interceptions. Senior wideout Will Sheppard has been the Dores top receiver with team highs in receptions (45) and receiving yards (640) to go along with eight touchdowns. Freshman London Humphreys has been another threat in the passing game with 19 catches for 413 yards and four touchdowns. Fellow freshman Sedrick Alexander leads the team in rushing with 85 carries for 325 yards and four scores.

Sophomore linebacker Langston Patterson leads the Vandy defense in total tackles (66) and tackles for loss (8.0). He also has a sack, a forced fumble and an interception to his credit. Veteran defensive end Nate Clifton is first on the team with 5.5 sacks and four quarterback hurries to go along with his 7.5 TFLs. Defensive backs De'Rickey Wright and CJ Taylor are tied for the team lead in interceptions (2), pass breakups (3) and forced fumbles (2).

[...] Tennessee was down eight starters [last week] due to injury - four on offense and four on defense - including WR Bru McCoy (season-ending), WR Dont'e Thornton Jr., LT John Campbell Jr., LG Andrej Karic, LB Keenan Pili, CB Kamal Hadden (season ending), STAR Tamarion McDonald and S Wesley Walker. [...]
Thanks for posting, YankeeVol.
(missing my own sweet Yankee Vol, especially this time of year)

Who is unable to go this week against Vandy?

Reactions: Drewbydoo
Milton has killed this offense all year. I’m sure they’ll roll him out again today. Hopefully Nico gets most of the second half.
OMG
Can we please let it go for crying out loud. Joe wasn't the only issue with this team
We still have a winning record and bright looking future.
It wasn't that long ago we were praying to get to a bowl game

I hope we get to see Nico play today. Hopefully because we are routing Candy.

Volnation will be enraged if Nico comes in and tears it up.
Don't see why. It's Vandy. As hyped as he is I'd expect him to play well against Vandy.
I'd be concerned if he didn't look good against Vandy

Milton has killed this offense all year. I’m sure they’ll roll him out again today. Hopefully Nico gets most of the second half.
Nice post for Senior Day! Blaming Milton on Team 2023 woes is tired.

We all agree Joe's not elite. The staff felt he was our best option to win so I'm thankful he hung I there. In my opinion he's a VFL.

Maybe you'd like to take a shot at...
- OL missing 2 key players early in the season and totally not showing up for MO
- lack of WR options due to injury and 3 best going to NFL
- whole team lacking discipline and fire in their belly
- questionable play calling and coaching decisions at times

Today I'm going to choose to celebrate all VOL seniors.

GO VOLS!!

I'm in! Looking forward to today's game, the last regular one of the season. A long time until September so lets enjoy it and Go Vols

Reactions: MackDaddyVol
Don't see why. It's Vandy. As hyped as he is I'd expect him to play well against Vandy.
I'd be concerned if he didn't look good against Vandy
Concerned if he doesn't look good.
Pissed off if he kills it. Then everyone will be pissing and moaning that the season could have been different if he had started over Joe.
The Volnation way.

I’m DONE with this viper pit. This is Senior Day, and time to honor those who gave all for the Tennessee Volunteers. But nooooo…same old “Blame Joe”. Y’all have a good time today and I will stick to the baseball forum. The basketball forum is just as bad as it is here. GO VOLS!

I’m DONE with this viper pit. This is Senior Day, and time to honor those who gave all for the Tennessee Volunteers. But nooooo…same old “Blame Joe”. Y’all have a good time today and I will stick to the baseball forum. The basketball forum is just as bad as it is here. GO VOLS!
Joe sucked, it’s a message board. Did you think people wouldn’t want to come complain here? If he was a heisman candidate we’d all be posting about that. He’s not and we have a 5 star freshman we paid lots of money for.

VN Store

Back