The Official 2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Ain't that the truth. Remember James Rodriguez was supposed to take over the world after the 2014 World Cup. James is a really good player, but he didn't become the Messi or Ronaldo-like player some were foaming at the mouth about.

Mbappe is a little different though; he showed an incredible level of skill for someone who is only 19. He certainly appears to be better than Neymar was at that age and probably Ronaldo. Is he better than Messi was at 19?

None of you watched Mbappe at Monaco? At 17-18 years of age he led that team to champions league semi finals. He was best player on the field in every game up to the semifinals.

Ain't that the truth. Remember James Rodriguez was supposed to take over the world after the 2014 World Cup. James is a really good player, but he didn't become the Messi or Ronaldo-like player some were foaming at the mouth about.

Mbappe is a little different though; he showed an incredible level of skill for someone who is only 19. He certainly appears to be better than Neymar was at that age and probably Ronaldo. Is he better than Messi was at 19?

I never thought James was a top 20 player. Even after magical World Cup. This young man is different. He’s special in every aspect of the game. When he took the ball in defensive third against Argentina and ran past their entire team to earn a penalty kick (where griezmann got another goal) you couldn’t help but laugh.

I never thought James was a top 20 player. Even after magical World Cup. This young man is different. He’s special in every aspect of the game. When he took the ball in defensive third against Argentina and ran past their entire team to earn a penalty kick (where griezmann got another goal) you couldn’t help but laugh.

Perhaps, but people were really jumping on his bandwagon after that WC. He was supposed to go to Real Madrid, be a world class player for them, and be a prominent face of the game behind Ronaldo and Messi. He's been good, but it hasn't quite gone like that.

I agree that Mbappe does appear to have something more about him than James did, mostly because he's only 19. He isn't 23 - 25 and showing this kind of skill; he's 19. Plus he's playing in Ligue 1 for big time teams while Neymar was still playing for Santos in Brazil at that age.

Perhaps, but people were really jumping on his bandwagon after that WC. He was supposed to go to Real Madrid, be a world class player for them, and be a prominent face of the game behind Ronaldo and Messi. He's been good, but it hasn't quite gone like that.

I agree that Mbappe does appear to have something more about him than James did, mostly because he's only 19. He isn't 23 - 25 and showing this kind of skill; he's 19. Plus he's playing in Ligue 1 for big time teams while Neymar was still playing for Santos in Brazil at that age.

James was considered a rising star, but I never saw him compared to Messi/Ronaldo at all

I'd say Griezmann was France's MVP for this WC, but overall Mbappe is their best player followed by Kante and Griez.

I'd say Griezmann was France's MVP for this WC, but overall Mbappe is their best player followed by Kante and Griez.

I think because of France's counter-attacking style, Mbappe was their most important player in the WC because he's so electrifying in space...but in a vacuum, Greizmann is still their best player.

James was considered a rising star, but I never saw him compared to Messi/Ronaldo at all
Right - he was supposed to be a prominent face of the game behind Messi and Ronaldo. He is a nice player, but he hasn't achieved the global stardom a lot of people seemed to think was a given after that World Cup.

VN Store

Back