The Official #18 Tennessee vs. UT Martin Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#18 Tennessee Volunteers: 0-0 (0-0 SEC)

FC-PPhLWEAIYx5k

vs.

UT Martin Skyhawks: 0-0 (0-0 OVC)

FDcJ7tJWQAMz7yu

GAME 1 | TENNESSEE vs. UT MARTIN - Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2021 | 7:02 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena (21,678)

Line: UT -35
O/U: 148

TV: SEC Network / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
Sirius: 134 / XM: 190/ Internet: ---
Online: WatchESPN app

UT Martin Game Notes

FDrt-meXIAENHRp

Last edited:
THE SERIES

• Tennessee leads the all-time series with UT Martin, 4-0, dating to 1993. All four meetings took place at Thompson-Boling Arena.
• Tennessee's average margin of victory over the Skyhawks is 19.3 points. The most recent clash was a 68-62 Vol victory on Dec. 29, 2010—the narrowest MOV in the series.
• The Volunteers are 38-6 all-time against UT System opponents. That includes a 34-6 mark against UT Chattanooga.
• Tennessee owns a 61-2 all-time record against current members of the Ohio Valley Conference.
• Martin is a five-hour drive west of Knoxville (332 miles).
• UT Martin Chancellor Dr. Keith Carver earned his doctoral degree from UT Knoxville, where he held various executive leadership roles. His son, J.T. Carver, is a freshman placekicker on the Volunteers football team.

SCOUTING REPORT

• Tennessee finished last season with an 18-9 (10-7 SEC) record and made its third consecutive appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
• Senior forward John Fulkerson sustained a season-ending facial fracture and concussion in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals. In April, he announced that he would run it back one last time as a super senior.
• In UT's lone exhibition, true freshmen Kennedy Chandler (21 points, four 3FGs, six assists) and Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (15 points, 12 rebounds) dazzled.
• If exhibition-game stats counted, Tennessee's 17 3-pointers made would have been a program-record, and the Vols' 46 3-point attempts would have been the second-highest single-game total in school history.
• Wednesday is freshman guard Jahmai Mashack's 19th birthday. He has never celebrated his birthday outside of California.

LAYUP LINES

• The 2021-22 campaign is Tennessee's 35th season in Thompson-Boling Arena. UT owns a 409-138 record in 547 games at TBA.
• Tennessee owns a 31-3 record in season-openers at Thompson-Boling Arena, and the Vols have won each of their last four home-openers.
• This is the second time the Vols have hosted UT Martin for their home-opener. Tennessee defeated the Skyhawks, 97-80, to open the 1993-94 campaign.
• With sales of 13,525 to date, this marks the third straight full-capacity year that UT has exceeded 13,000 in season-ticket sales—that's more than the capacity of several Division I venues.

ABOUT UT MARTIN

• The 2021-22 season marks the first at UT Martin for head coach Ryan Ridder. Ridder has collected a 143-73 overall record in eight seasons as a collegiate head coach—including the last four years at Bethune-Cookman University. The Lexington, Kentucky, native was the 2018 recipient of the Joe B. Hall Award, recognizing the top first-year head coach in the NCAA Division I ranks after his debut season at Bethune-Cookman.
• The Skyhawks are the only Division I program to not return a single player from the previous season. UT Martin's 2021-22 roster includes 14 newcomers (nine transfers, five true freshmen).
• UT Martin's roster features transfers from Bethune-Cookman, UAB, Georgia Tech, FIU, North Florida and South Alabama.
• North Florida transfer Josh Endicott, a Baxter, Tennessee, native was the most productive transfer at his previous stop. Endicott averaged 8.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game during the 2020-21 season.
• UT Martin has four players on its roster from the state of Tennessee.
• The Vols and Skyhawks have played only four times previously and have not met since 2010. Of the 11 other Division I programs in the state of Tennessee, UT Martin is tied with Belmont for having face UT the least.
• UT Martin posted an 8-16 (6-14 OVC) record last season, finishing ninth in the 12-team Ohio Valley Conference.
• The Skyhawks do not have any NCAA Tournament appearances in program history and have made just one NIT (2009).
• Located in West Tennessee, UT Martin's campus is roughly five hours from Knoxville and has an enrollment of around 7,000 students.

Let’s go!!!! 24 hours and 15 minutes!!!!

Also, wow, they don’t have a single returning player. They should not be very cohesive tomorrow

Great to see Dane Bradshaw is on the broadcast team tonight.
I really like his insight into the UT basketball team. Unfortunately, last year he started babbling about all kinds of stuff besides the game being played which is my biggest beef with announcers. Hopefully that was due to announcing remotely.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Unlikely Fulk plays, so guessing probably same starting 5 as exhibition, what I’m looking/things I’d like to see…

-BHH play consistent and aggressive again, continue to earn trust of Barnes

-take the open 3’s, doubt it’s 46 again, but 30+ would be a great sign

-rebound the ball exceptionally well

Unlikely Fulk plays, so guessing probably same starting 5 as exhibition, what I’m looking/things I’d like to see…

-BHH play consistent and aggressive again, continue to earn trust of Barnes

-take the open 3’s, doubt it’s 46 again, but 30+ would be a great sign

-rebound the ball exceptionally well
No real reason to play Fulk in this game. Save him for the ones that matter. I won't even be upset if he sits until the Nov. 20th game against Villanova.

No real reason to play Fulk in this game. Save him for the ones that matter. I won't even be upset if he sits until the Nov. 20th game against Villanova.
I would like for there to be some familiarity with those guys on the court ideally…the silver lining is it should help develop some post depth.

I would like for there to be some familiarity with those guys on the court ideally…the silver lining is it should help develop some post depth.

Agreed. I doubt he sits until Nov. 20th. I think Fulky, as experienced as he is, needs to have a warmup game or two to get back in the groove.

In regards to tonight, I definitely want to see 30+ threes again. I want to see that this will be a consistent part of the game. Limit the mid-range jumpers. Take threes or get to the basket through dribble drive and posting-up. BHH and Powell are who I'll be paying close attention to. I want to see consistency from them.

Yeah, if given a choice between the two, I'd prefer the post development of other players over familiarity with/for Fulky. That has likely been developed in practice and the familiarity amongst him and the other vets is already established. Chandler is about the only one who might need court time with him, but I'd prefer BHH getting developmental minutes over the other, anyway.

Ideally, everyone is healthy and working together, but I'd rather have a 100% healthy Fulk for the games they will need him.

Yeah, if given a choice between the two, I'd prefer the post development of other players over familiarity with/for Fulky. That has likely been developed in practice and the familiarity amongst him and the other vets is already established. Chandler is about the only one who might need court time with him, but I'd prefer BHH getting developmental minutes over the other, anyway.

Ideally, everyone is healthy and working together, but I'd rather have a 100% healthy Fulk for the games they will need him.
I’m beginning to wonder if we will ever see a 100% healthy Fulky again at UT

Didn’t realize we were short on time around here - I pretty much just kill time here

VN Store

Back