The Official #16 Tennessee @ Louisiana State Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPN

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
#16 Tennessee Volunteers: 14-4 (7-4 SEC)

Et6rdNJVcAQ36Yc

@

LSU Tigers: 12-6 (7-4 SEC)

0f9be4a3-1fa9-45ac-b424-4ff962e07cae-USATSI_15557615.jpg

GAME 19 | TENNESSEE at LSU - Feb. 13, 2021 | 2 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. CT | Pete Maravich Assembly Center

Line: UT -3
O/U: 146

TV: ESPN / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
Sirius: 106 / XM: 191 / Internet: ---
Online: WatchESPN app

LSU Game Notes

EuC2kW9VIAc_H97

THE SERIES

• Tennessee leads the all-time series with LSU, 65-48, dating to 1933.
• The series is tied, 26-26, when contested in Baton Rouge. The Vols had won five straight at the PMAC before falling in each of its last two visits.
• Last year's LSU game in Knoxville was Santiago Vescovi's college debut, and he made a splash with six 3-pointers.
• Fourth-year LSU head coach Will Wade is a Nashville native and graduate of Franklin Road Academy.
• Wade got his footing in the collegiate coaching ranks as a student manager at Clemson under former Rick Barnes assistant Larry Shyatt.

LAYUP LINES

• Tennessee is No. 11 in the latest NCAA NET ratings, with four wins over teams in the top 35.
• Five-star freshmen Jaden Springer (26.5 ppg) Keon Johnson (19.0 ppg) have combined to average 45.5 points over Tennessee's last two games—both wins. Johnson is the reigning SEC Freshman of the Week.
• Over the last four games, sophomore Josiah-Jordan James is averaging 11.8 points, a team-best 8.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists while also shooting .455 (10-22) from 3-point range.
• Senior Yves Pons is a top-10 finalist for the Julius Erving Award and one of 15 candidates for Naismith Men's Defensive Player of the Year. Pons missed Wednesday's game against Georgia with a right knee injury.
• In 111 seasons of varsity basketball, Tennessee has had only one letterman from the state of Louisiana: forward Maurice Robertson (New Orleans) in 1996.

DEFENSE WINS

• Tennessee ranks 10th in the NCAA in scoring defense, allowing just 60.8 points per game.
• According to KenPom, the Vols ranks second in the NCAA in adjusted defensive efficiency, allowing only 86.6 points per 100 possessions. College teams typically average close to 70 possessions per game.
• The Vols are forcing 16.1 turnovers per game while converting those turnovers into 17.4 points per game. Tennessee's turnover margin stands at +4.2 (12th nationally).
• Tennessee has forced 14 of 18 opponents to turn the ball over on 20 percent or more of their possessions.
• Tennessee has allowed only three opposing player to score 20 points all season. See Page 3.
• Each of Tennessee's last five opponents have shot 26 percent or worse from 3-point range.

ABOUT LSU

• As the 2020-21 season reaches its latter stages, the LSU Tigers are 12-6 overall and, like Tennessee, are 7-4 in the SEC entering Saturday's contest. LSU has gotten a majority of its scoring production from its starting five, with four of its primary starters averaging more than 12 points per game. LSU's fifth-leading scorer, Mwani Wilkinson, is averaging just 4.4 points per game.
• Through 18 games, the Tigers have been led by freshman standout Cam Thomas. Thomas' 22.4 points per game leads the SEC. He has poured in 20-plus points 13 times and recorded a season-high 32 points in his first career SEC contest, when LSU took down Texas A&M, 77-54, on Dec. 29.
• In the frontcourt, forward Trendon Watford has been LSU's stat-sheet stuffer, ranking second on the team in points (16.6 ppg), rebounds (6.9 rpg), assists (3.4 apg) and steals (1.3 spg). In the SEC, his numbers for scoring, rebounds and helpers rank sixth, seventh and ninth, respectively, making Watford one of the league's most versatile and consistent players.
• Junior Javonte Smart has also had a knack for scoring this season, ranking third on the team and eighth in the SEC with 15.8 points per game. He also ranks fifth in the league in field-goal percentage and first in 3-point percentage, converting on 49 percent of his total attempts and 45 percent of his shots from behind the 3-point arc. Outside of getting his, Smart is also dishing out a team-leading 4.2 assists per game, which ranks fourth in the league.
• Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was the site of the only battle during the American Revolution that took place outside of the original 13 British colonies.

Reactions: xtremevolfan
ABOUT LSU
• Will Wade belongs in jail
• As the 2020-21 season reaches its latter stages, the LSU Tigers are 12-6 overall and, like Tennessee, are 7-4 in the SEC entering Saturday's contest. LSU has gotten a majority of its scoring production from its starting five, with four of its primary starters averaging more than 12 points per game. LSU's fifth-leading scorer, Mwani Wilkinson, is averaging just 4.4 points per game.
• Through 18 games, the Tigers have been led by freshman standout Cam Thomas. Thomas' 22.4 points per game leads the SEC. He has poured in 20-plus points 13 times and recorded a season-high 32 points in his first career SEC contest, when LSU took down Texas A&M, 77-54, on Dec. 29.
• In the frontcourt, forward Trendon Watford has been LSU's stat-sheet stuffer, ranking second on the team in points (16.6 ppg), rebounds (6.9 rpg), assists (3.4 apg) and steals (1.3 spg). In the SEC, his numbers for scoring, rebounds and helpers rank sixth, seventh and ninth, respectively, making Watford one of the league's most versatile and consistent players.
• Junior Javonte Smart has also had a knack for scoring this season, ranking third on the team and eighth in the SEC with 15.8 points per game. He also ranks fifth in the league in field-goal percentage and first in 3-point percentage, converting on 49 percent of his total attempts and 45 percent of his shots from behind the 3-point arc. Outside of getting his, Smart is also dishing out a team-leading 4.2 assists per game, which ranks fourth in the league.
• Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was the site of the only battle during the American Revolution that took place outside of the original 13 British colonies.
FYP

Barnes said they should expect him back today, but who knows .
He said after the Georgia game he thought probably so, but ended with the idea that he doesn't know. Even if he plays, more than likely his play will be compromised with a knee issue.

Reactions: feathersax
A guy named William Wade (ha ha, not the same guy) bought a rental home I owned almost a year ago. He made a strong a$$ offer.

Vols -3 .... I find Vegas’ gut to be much more accurate than mine
I would never bet on any team that was as "Jekyll and Hyde" as this bunch. Hopefully the good guys show up today, not that team we saw in Gainesville.

Go Vols!

Reactions: walkenvol
I would never bet on any team that was as "Jekyll and Hyde" as this bunch. Hopefully the good guys show up today, not that team we saw in Gainesville.

Go Vols!
I don’t think we will ever see that team again. These freshman finally realized they can score on anyone at anytime.

At least we know LSU will run with us. Should be an entertaining game. Unless Fulkerson contributes in the paint I think it would be difficult to expect our freshman to carry us to a win on the road, against a team who can legit score the ball. Vescovi and James must be efficient from perimeter as well.

LSU is fighting for a spot to play in the tournament so they will be motivated against a ranked team. After the loss against Ole Miss and how we were playing I was marking this game as a loss. The fact that we have picked up the pace offensively and are allowing our athletes to flourish makes me feel a bit better than I did 2 weeks ago. Still...we may need to play our best game of the season to win today.

Make Cam Thomas an inefficient scorer who shoots in the 30% FG range, don’t make life easy for him by fouling and letting him get to the FT line, eliminate 2nd chances on the glass, I think is our best chance to win. He is a volume shooter and will take bad shots. But we can’t let him live at the foul line either. I don’t care if he gets 25+ so long as he has to take 25 shots to get there.

VN Store

Back