The Official #13 Tennessee @ Georgia Game Thread, 6:30 PM ET, SEC Network

Early today a lot of Vol fans calling it a trap game. Looked like they were right especially in the 1st half. JJJ had a great game, and we did what was necessary to get the W. Now let's have our A+ game when we play Ark at a packed TBA Saturday.

You have to consider all of him. You glad he's here or not? Stupid to biatch about Shaq and his free throws. We know what we got.
If Chandler was giving us 22ppg, 14rpg, and 5bpg then I highly doubt anyone would really care about his free throws. Those are Shaq’s career averages at LSU btw and Shaq actually shot 64% from the FT line in 1990-91, which is higher than Chandler’s this season. That’s absurd to even think about. Shaq was a better free throw shooter one season than our starting PG. If I were Barnes I would be pointing that out and rubbing it in his face nonstop every single day until he committed himself to becoming a better FT shooter. Heck, I would FaceTime Shaq during practice if I had his number and have him rag on KC. He seriously can’t be this bad at free throws.

If I were Barnes I would be pointing that out and rubbing it in his face nonstop every single day until he committed himself to becoming a better FT shooter.

how do you know he hasn’t committed himself to improving his free throws?

You are aware you can’t just magically decide to shoot free throws better, right? It takes some players literally years of working on it to improve. hundreds and hundreds of hours.

Plenty of documented cases of guys in the NBA relentlessly trying to improve and just marginally improving at best.

Free Throw shooting is pretty weird sometimes.

Reactions: walkenvol
Free throws are equally mental as they are physical.

I always hear or read that guys like Dwight Howard or DeAndre Jordan must not practice them enough.

This photo from a few years ago proves that is not the case, and really insults any player or coach to assume they'd neglect a critical deficiency in someone's game. If you look, Dwight Howard (When he was on the Lakers) shot 82% in practice, and also shot (practiced) more than any other Laker. And 1500+ free throws is statistically significant. But in games he shot 49% that year.

In a game situation, there are two factors that can't be simulated in practice. Game fatigue and pressure (even if the game isn't close, the pressure of every eyeball in the arena and beyond watching you shoot).

Additionally, basketball is a game where fluid motion and momentum accompanies every other move except a free throw. When you are completely still and shooting a flat foot shot from 15 feet, it goes against everything you've learned in developing shooting mechanics.

Attachments

• BF675025-3103-414A-B287-4E305F273E9F.jpeg
    BF675025-3103-414A-B287-4E305F273E9F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Free throws are equally mental as they are physical.

I always hear or read that guys like Dwight Howard or DeAndre Jordan must not practice them enough.

This photo from a few years ago proves that is not the case, and really insults any player or coach to assume they'd neglect a critical deficiency in someone's game. If you look, Dwight Howard (When he was on the Lakers) shot 82% in practice, and also shot (practiced) more than any other Laker. And 1500+ free throws is statistically significant. But in games he shot 49% that year.

In a game situation, there are two factors that can't be simulated in practice. Game fatigue and pressure (even if the game isn't close, the pressure of every eyeball in the arena and beyond watching you shoot).

Additionally, basketball is a game where fluid motion and momentum accompanies every other move except a free throw. When you are completely still and shooting a flat foot shot from 15 feet, it goes against everything you've learned in developing shooting mechanics.
Pretty easy to hit 8/10 in practice without any fans or pressure. Those palms get sweaty whenever you’re on the line and there’s 15-20k screaming. It’s a lack of focus on KC’s part and he needs to fix it. He’s better than that.

Pretty easy to hit 8/10 in practice without any fans or pressure. Those palms get sweaty whenever your on the line and there’s 15-20k screaming. It’s a lack of focus on KC’s part and he needs to fix it. He’s better than that.

Boy, that post I made was an exhausting waste of time.

If Chandler was giving us 22ppg, 14rpg, and 5bpg then I highly doubt anyone would really care about his free throws. Those are Shaq’s career averages at LSU btw and Shaq actually shot 64% from the FT line in 1990-91, which is higher than Chandler’s this season. That’s absurd to even think about. Shaq was a better free throw shooter one season than our starting PG. If I were Barnes I would be pointing that out and rubbing it in his face nonstop every single day until he committed himself to becoming a better FT shooter. Heck, I would FaceTime Shaq during practice if I had his number and have him rag on KC. He seriously can’t be this bad at free throws.
Shaq played 3 years in college and shot 57% from the free throw line… you can speak ill of KC’s FR percentage in that category but without his defense and offense Tennessee would be nothing without KC. Pick on someone else

Boy, that post I made was an exhausting waste of time.
Yeah because everyone knows free throws are mental. What do you notice about Kobe’s and Nash’s percentages on that board? They didn’t dip very much from practice to game. Kobe shot 84% regular season and 82% playoffs his entire career and Nash shot 90% both regular season and playoffs. If those dudes could make 8-9/10 in the most pressurized situations in the sport, then our starting PG can at least make 7/10 in college. A lack of focus is what ends up getting you beat in crunch time and we can’t have our star being this atrocious from the line.

Reactions: Zues1
Shaq played 3 years in college and shot 57% from the free throw line… you can speak ill of KC’s FR percentage in that category but without his defense and offense Tennessee would be nothing without KC. Pick on someone else
I’ll pick on his free throws all I want. It’s a fair criticism, especially someone of his caliber.

Yeah because everyone knows free throws are mental. What do you notice about Kobe’s and Nash’s percentages on that board? They didn’t dip very much from practice to game. Kobe shot 84% regular season and 82% playoffs his entire career and Nash shot 90% both regular season and playoffs. If those dudes could make 8-9/10 in the most pressurized situations in the sport, then our starting PG can at least make 7/10 in college. A lack of focus is what ends up getting you beat in crunch time and we can’t have our star being this atrocious from the line.

“Just focus harder” is not a valid suggestion.

It’s like telling a depressed person “have you tried not feeling depressed?”

It’s really not that simple. I promise you.

Reactions: Lankykong
Then talk good about him first…because we both know Tennessee wouldn’t be half the team without him
I’ve talked plenty good about him this season. He makes NBA level layups look as easy as kindergarten math and he plays tremendously good defense. But you know what? He’s the top PG in this class and I’m critiquing him based on that curve. If he wants to be truly great then he needs to be better in two areas. His main issues have been free throws and turnovers. What do both of those have in common? Focus and discipline.

“Just focus harder” is not a valid suggestion.

It’s like telling a depressed person “have you tried not feeling depressed?”

It’s really not that simple. I promise you.
So are you saying he is depressed? If so then maybe he should see a psychologist? I’m talking about basketball not depression.

I’ve talked plenty good about him this season. He makes NBA level layups look as easy as kindergarten math and he plays tremendously good defense. But you know what? He’s the top PG in this class and I’m critiquing him based on that curve. If he wants to be truly great then he needs to be better in two areas. His main issues have been free throws and turnovers. What do both of those have in common? Focus and discipline.
Idk maybe post that in your initial post before critiquing him on free throws in which he shot 2-3 today…

What does that have to do with today?
You do realize that he’s shot 50% or less in about 11 games, unless I miscounted? That’s close to a 40% chance every game that he’s going to miss half his free throws. And this is even with him starting out the season 10-10 in his first 5 games. Since the start of December he’s been a 58% FT shooter. How do you defend that?

VN Store

Back