The Official #13 Tennessee @ Georgia Game Thread, 6:30 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#13 Tennessee Volunteers: 21-7 (12-4 SEC)

FMj05XDWUAU4ihM

@

Georgia Bulldogs: 6-23 (1-15 SEC)

ffa50f51-2d74-423d-b3be-f98c4d20fbd2-USATSI_17771035.jpg

GAME 29 | TENNESSEE at GEORGIA - Tuesday, March 1, 2022 | 6:31 p.m. ET | Stegeman Coliseum (10,523)

Line: UT -16
O/U: 145.5

TV: SEC Network / Watch
Radio: Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 133 / XM: 190 / Internet: ---
Online: WatchESPN App

Georgia Game Notes

FMthZHRXwAAK3b6

Last edited:
THE SERIES

• Tennessee leads the all-time series with Georgia, 97-61, dating to 1913. This is the 159th meeting overall and the only regular-season meeting set for the 2021-22 campaign.
• The Bulldogs have dominated this series in recent years, winning seven of the last 11 meetings.
• The Bulldogs hold a 40-33 edge when the series is contested in Athens and have won six straight over the Volunteers at Stegeman Coliseum. Tennessee's last win at UGA came in 2011.
• During their six-game losing streak at Stegeman Coliseum, the Vols are averaging only 61.2 ppg.
• In last season's lone meeting, UT freshman and eventual first-round NBA Draft pick Jaden Springer scored a game-high 30 points to propel the Vols to an 89-81 win in Knoxville.
• Tennessee is riding a 13-game win streak on the SEC Network, dating to last January. Tom Hart and Dane Bradshaw each called seven of those games (five as a tandem).

LAYUP LINES - TEAM

• Tennessee stands at No. 8 in the NCAA's latest NET ratings. Each of UT's seven losses are Quad 1.
• The Vols have faced 10 AP Top 25 opponents so far this season and own wins over the teams ranked Nos. 2, 5 and 7 in this week's poll.
• With a win Tuesday, Tennessee will finish SEC play with a winning record in conference road games.
• According to KenPom, the Vols rank third in the nation in adjusted defensive efficiency, allowing only 87.3 points per 100 possessions.
• Tennessee's scoring defense of 65.9 ppg in SEC play is tied for tops in the league. The Vols have held their last seven SEC opponents to fewer than 65 points.
• The Vols rank eighth among all Division I teams in steals per game (9.6 spg), 17th nationally in turnovers forced per game (16.46 tpg) and 18th in turnover margin (+4.0).

LAYUP LINES - PLAYERS

• All-SEC candidate Santiago Vescovi is the league's top 3-point shooter during SEC play, hitting at a .440 clip from long range.
• Naismith Defensive Player of the Year and Bob Cousy Award candidate Kennedy Chandler's 2.22 steals per game rank 18th in Division I and second nationally among true freshmen.
• During SEC play, Vols freshmen Zakai Zeigler (2.44 spg) and Chandler (2.27 spg) rank first and tied for fourth, respectively, in steals per game.
• A leading candidate for the SEC Sixth Man of the Year award, Vols freshman Zakai Zeigler is the team's third-leading scorer during SEC play (10.4 ppg) while leading the league in steals and free-throw percentage in conference games.
• True freshman forward Brandon Huntley-Hatfield has a team-high nine offensive rebounds over Tennessee's last two games.

ABOUT GEORGIA

• Georgia (6-23, 1-15 SEC) enters Tuesday's game on a nine-game losing streak. The Bulldogs last won on Jan. 25 over Alabama, 82-76.
• Despite struggling this season, Georgia has recorded two home wins over potential NCAA Tournament teams—the win over Alabama and a Dec. 1 win over Memphis, 82-79. The Bulldogs also took then-No. 1 Auburn to the wire on Feb. 5, falling by a score of 74-72.
• The Bulldogs are in their fourth season under the direction of former Marquette and Indiana head coach Tom Crean. Georgia has posted a 47-72 (.395) record under Crean.
• Florida SouthWestern State transfer guard Kario Oquendo leads the Bulldogs in scoring (15.3 ppg) and ranks second on the team in rebounding (4.4 rpg). Oquendo is averaging 18.5 points per game in conference play—a mark that ranks fourth in the SEC.
• Oquendo is also shooting 46.3 percent from the field during SEC play, which ranks fifth in the league (second among guards).
• Graduate transfer guard Aaron Cook, who played at Southern Illinois and Gonzaga before transferring to Georgia, is averaging 10.1 points and 5.6 assists per game. Cook ranks 18th in the nation and second in the SEC in assists per game.
• KenPom.com ranks Georgia 209th in the country—95th in adjusted offensive efficiency and 309th in adjusted defensive efficiency.

This should be a game where the bench players get a few garbage minutes.

I don’t expect it to be an easy win, but if it was to happen it will be interesting to see if Diboundje enters. His 6 games so far are 20% of a 30 game regular season. He played in game #16 on 1/15/22 which is in the second 50% of the regular season, but not the second 50% of the ENTIRE season (not sure what the hardship rule says). But not having heard anything about a health issue he isn’t likely a medical hardship candidate. 20% of 30 games sure sounds like a possible retro-active redshirt rule change is possible.

I think we win something like 83-65. Georgia has taken the baton from Vanderbilt on worst SEC team. 6 wins… Just think about that for a moment, 6 freaking wins. This would be the upset of the season if they beat us.

#13 Tennessee Volunteers: 21-7 (12-4 SEC)

FMj05XDWUAU4ihM

@

Georgia Bulldogs: 6-23 (1-15 SEC)

ffa50f51-2d74-423d-b3be-f98c4d20fbd2-USATSI_17771035.jpg

GAME 29 | TENNESSEE at GEORGIA - Tuesday, March 1, 2022 | 6:31 p.m. ET | Stegeman Coliseum (10,523)

Line: UT -16
O/U: 145

TV: SEC Network / Watch
Radio: Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 133 / XM: 190 / Internet: ---
Online: WatchESPN App

Georgia Game Notes

FMthZHRXwAAK3b6

I believe this team has already learned to not take any team lightly...jmo

This should be a game where the bench players get a few garbage minutes.

Not if Georgia decides to play as they did against Auburn. Don't let the record fool you, this team can get real hungry and spoil UT's party or at least put a bad taste in their mouths. I think CRB will have them ready, this could come down to the wire.

Not if Georgia decides to play as they did against Auburn. Don't let the record fool you, this team can get real hungry and spoil UT's party or at least put a bad taste in their mouths. I think CRB will have them ready, this could come down to the wire.
Stop Oquendo and it’s over by halftime.

Reactions: RAVOL
I think we've not won in Athens since 2011...so will be nice to get a W down there.

Hopefully it's not a tight game that requires a late push, we have the bye locked up but would be nice to save some minutes in this one ahead of the Arkansas game for our guards.

win... but tight... they will play up to us since we're riding this streak and just beat AU, trying to upset us --- I hope we don't have the same hangover on the road as we did after beating KY...

I think if we come out firing on all cylinders and make baskets early, it will set the tone and we will get this... If we come out cold and give them hope, then this will be a fight until the end.

Coaching football the same time the game is on. Will have to record and watch later. I’m hoping this game will help with experience and confidence for some of our freshman

I take nothing for granted. UT should definitely win but on paper Alabama and Memphis should have won at Georgia, too. As an older UT fan, I also have a bitter memory in 1977 of the great Ernie & Bernie led UT team producing a late season clunker in Athens to lose to a very mediocre Georgia team. That loss meant Vols finished 16-2 in SEC regular season and cost UT an outright SEC title- instead had to share it with Kentucky who Vols swept.

Reactions: cardvolfan and MAD
I don’t expect it to be an easy win, but if it was to happen it will be interesting to see if Diboundje enters. His 6 games so far are 20% of a 30 game regular season. He played in game #16 on 1/15/22 which is in the second 50% of the regular season, but not the second 50% of the ENTIRE season (not sure what the hardship rule says). But not having heard anything about a health issue he isn’t likely a medical hardship candidate. 20% of 30 games sure sounds like a possible retro-active redshirt rule change is possible.
🤯
GBO!!

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back