The Official #10 Tennessee vs. Appalachian State Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

Gotta think some of these easy looks start to fall tonight. I'm expecting a big game from either Keon or Springer as well, it would be a great time to give them both a lot of run against a far inferior opponent.

Yeah
Somebody is going to have a coming out party.

Gotta think some of these easy looks start to fall tonight. I'm expecting a big game from either Keon or Springer as well, it would be a great time to give them both a lot of run against a far inferior opponent.
Eh, I wouldn’t say “far inferior” it’s an easier game than our last two, but I don’t expect a cake walk. Our game against Tennessee Tech should be though.

LET'S GET IT!!!

Hoping to see more minutes from the freshmen and maybe Uros (assuming we got a lead going). Not sure if Barnes will go that route, may want to get as much PT as he can with the main rotation guys since they missed some off-season.

75-59 VOLS

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Eh, I wouldn’t say “far inferior” it’s an easier game than our last two, but I don’t expect a cake walk. Our game against Tennessee Tech should be though.
Why shouldn't this one as well? Only reason either one might stay close is Barnes will treat them both as a scrimmage game and give extra minutes to guys that won't be getting many minutes come SEC and tournament time.

Why shouldn't this one as well? Only reason either one might stay close is Barnes will treat them both as a scrimmage game and give extra minutes to guys that won't be getting many minutes come SEC and tournament time.
App State (sure against maybe inferior opponents) has had a pretty good offensive team this year. Delph has shot close to 50% from three this year, it’ll be probably the toughest team to defend we’ve faced so far IMO

App State (sure against maybe inferior opponents) has had a pretty good offensive team this year. Delph has shot close to 50% from three this year, it’ll be probably the toughest team to defend we’ve faced so far IMO
Our guards are going to dominate this bunch, some of them will struggle physically just to get a shot off.

I don’t follow Appalachian State BBALL ever. I looked this up their lone loss was to Bowling Green in OT 78-76. Not sure if Bowling Green has high hoop expectations this year.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

You're crazy.

Colorado was the toughest test to date, Wright IV is a better guard than Delph who has only this season managed to break the 10ppg but has done it against inferior competition.

Carver College, NC Wesleyan, SC State...the best team they've faced is Bowling Green and that one was decided by just 2 points in OT. 2 of their 4 wins are against teams not even in Division 1....why are you trying to hype these guys up?

You're crazy.

Colorado was the toughest test to date, Wright IV is a better guard than Delph who has only this season managed to break the 10ppg but has done it against inferior competition.

Carver College, NC Wesleyan, SC State...the best team they've faced is Bowling Green and that one was decided by just 2 points in OT. 2 of their 4 wins are against teams not even in Division 1....why are you trying to hype these guys up?
He is. And you’re right. They’re not a better team than Colorado. But they’re tougher to guard because of how good of a shooter delph is. We may win by 15 points, but watch it’ll be tough I think. Why am I hyping them up? Because I don’t want to see people bitching when we’re only up 5-10 at half. I hope we blow them out, but for that to happen the shots that haven’t been falling will have to start falling this game.

He is. And you’re right. They’re not a better team than Colorado. But they’re tougher to guard because of how good of a shooter delph is. We may win by 15 points, but watch it’ll be tough I think. Why am I hyping them up? Because I don’t want to see people bitching when we’re only up 5-10 at half. I hope we blow them out, but for that to happen the shots that haven’t been falling will have to start falling this game.

Only reason it'll be tough IMO is if Barnes is willing to work in more guys to get them minutes. I'm not sold on "how good" Delph is just yet, because of the lack of competition they've faced.

People are going to bitch no matter what...this team is young and we've not played much ball together. A win is a win, I'll be fine with another grind out 9 point win if we get Uros, Gaines, and ORN 8+ minutes a piece. Honestly I just want to see EJ/Pons both shoot better this game. Both of them should have easier times inside as App State's main big is just 6'7" and the other (Huntley) is 6'10" and a freshmen.

Reactions: ricepatty
I think we should do fine against him. Our guards shut down both Colorado's and Cincinnati's top scoring player with them having threats in the front court. Not sure if App st has those same type of players.

Reactions: vols 30
Only reason it'll be tough IMO is if Barnes is willing to work in more guys to get them minutes. I'm not sold on "how good" Delph is just yet, because of the lack of competition they've faced.

People are going to bitch no matter what...this team is young and we've not played much ball together. A win is a win, I'll be fine with another grind out 9 point win if we get Uros, Gaines, and ORN 8+ minutes a piece. Honestly I just want to see EJ/Pons both shoot better this game. Both of them should have easier times inside as App State's main big is just 6'7" and the other (Huntley) is 6'10" and a freshmen.
That’s fine. I’m just trying to prepare people if that makes any sense that it’s possible this could be a somewhat close game.

That’s fine. I’m just trying to prepare people if that makes any sense that it’s possible this could be a somewhat close game.

Yeah, I understand that. I think we're too athletic though and deep, even if we are shooting poorly we'll see Barnes coach them to the rim and can stretch the lead with FTs like we did with the Bearcats.

Biggest difference this game is App State probably hasn't got the same depth or talent as the previous two teams...so even if Delph is the real deal guarding him plays to our strengths with Bailey, Keon, JJJ, Springer etc. all being very good perimeter defenders.

I'M JUST EXCITED FOR SOME MORE BALL!!!

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
Yeah, I understand that. I think we're too athletic though and deep, even if we are shooting poorly we'll see Barnes coach them to the rim and can stretch the lead with FTs like we did with the Bearcats.

Biggest difference this game is App State probably hasn't got the same depth or talent as the previous two teams...so even if Delph is the real deal guarding him plays to our strengths with Bailey, Keon, JJJ, Springer etc. all being very good perimeter defenders.

I'M JUST EXCITED FOR SOME MORE BALL!!!
Same here! 👍🍿

Appy State is very good from the free throw line and 3 of their starters are very good behind the arc.

I would very much like to see Brock Jancek and Isaiah Sulack get some minutes tonight - that is, I would like to see this team use its advantages, of which it will have many, to really step on the gas and put an insurmountable lead on the board. Tennessee's defense has been for the most part exemplary. Would be great to see it translate into one of those 75-45 kind of games.

VN Store

Back