The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Now a days, baseball is an acquired taste. But, when I was growing up, it was the National Pastime. It's a beautiful game, that is a math dorks dream, I love it and understand every pitch is a form of chess. But, I, also understand, why today's generation finds it, boring. I don't, but I can see how the slow pace and spurts of action over 3 and a half hours can bore people. I just don't think kids completely understand the game or see the beauty in it. One thing I do hate, the runner on 2nd, in extra innings. I can go off on that for an hour, but I won't. That's a new rule and it sucks. At least, they are not doing 7 inning doubleheaders, any more

Reactions: OrangeAllDay
Now a days, baseball is an acquired taste. But, when I was growing up, it was the National Pastime. It's a beautiful game, that is a math dorks dream, I love it and understand every pitch is a form of chess. But, I, also understand, why today's generation finds it, boring. I don't, but I can see how the slow pace and spurts of action over 3 and a half hours can bore people. I just don't think kids completely understand the game or see the beauty in it. One thing I do hate, the runner on 2nd, in extra innings. I can go off on that for an hour, but I won't. That's a new rule and it sucks. At least, they are not doing 7 inning doubleheaders, any more

The “ghost runner” rule is an absolutely dumb and idiotic rule change. I hate it. You shouldn’t be able to win a game on a ground-out and a pop-out.

I definitely agree the game isn’t fast enough for the younger generation, and I include myself in that. I’m on the lower part of the Millenial age threshold, but In a world where you have smart phones and social media and Instagram and all of this stuff to take your attention, it doesn’t surprise me why people who are more interested in faster paced games or more frequent dopamine hits can’t get into it.

HOWEVER, all that said, I have seen some interesting reports lately suggesting the game is growing a bit with Gen Z, which is a good sign for its longevity.

The “ghost runner” rule is an absolutely dumb and idiotic rule change. I hate it. You shouldn’t be able to win a game on a ground-out and a pop-out.

I definitely agree the game isn’t fast enough for the younger generation, and I include myself in that. I’m on the lower part of the Millenial age threshold, but In a world where you have smart phones and social media and Instagram and all of this stuff to take your attention, it doesn’t surprise me why people who are more interested in faster paced games or more frequent dopamine hits can’t get into it.

HOWEVER, all that said, I have seen some interesting reports lately suggesting the game is growing a bit with Gen Z, which is a good sign for its longevity.
It's been around for over a century, its longevity will continue, at least to the end of my lifetime and yours. Almost every boy I knew, at least played a year or 2 of T-Ball and/or baseball when I was growing up. I don't think Gen Z is doing that, but it doesn't matter, baseball will never die.

I'm so stoked for the baseball team, but man, I still cannot watch the sport. I tried. I really did. Could not continue after an inning.

What say you, @Dallasbowlin? I know you and I agreed hardcore on this point at one time....
I agree. Tbh if I had a choice between our football team beating Bama next year or our baseball team winning a Natty I would 100% choose a win over Bama. If I had a choice between our basketball team getting to the E8 over a baseball Natty I would also choose the E8.

I can't stand baseball on TV all that much -unless- it's UT. But I'll go watch a game in person all day any day. To me, baseball just doesn't translate well on TV and I think that's a big reason why this generation isn't as big a fan of it. Every other sport the action conveys well, even golf, but not baseball.

I agree. Tbh if I had a choice between our football team beating Bama next year or our baseball team winning a Natty I would 100% choose a win over Bama. If I had a choice between our basketball team getting to the E8 over a baseball Natty I would also choose the E8.

I get it, I understand that this is just who the fanbase is, but it just makes me sad. A win over Alabama is meaningless if it doesn't lead to anything greater. It will never cease to baffle me how many people would bulldoze Thompson-Boling and Lindsey-Nelson for a 9-win football season.

Give me the national championship in baseball over a meaningless football win any day of the week.

National title in football > in basketball > in baseball

But no single season game in football would be over any SEC or national championship in basketball or baseball for me. The hardest one is Final Four vs Baseball National Championship...I would probably lean baseball, but that's a closer one for me of which I'd rather see us have.

But no single season game in football would be over any SEC or national championship in basketball or baseball for me. The hardest one is Final Four vs Baseball National Championship...I would probably lean baseball, but that's a closer one for me of which I'd rather see us have.

This is a reasonable take.

I'd take a 120-43 UT bball win over Cornbread State Tech over any and every UT football win that is not part of the SEC Championship or College Playoff.

You read my mind, exactly. Even the F4 vs Baseball championship. Only thing I'd disagree with is that I'd probably take the F4 since we've never made one and it is a stain on our basketball résumé.

You read my mind, exactly. Even the F4 vs Baseball championship. Only thing I'd disagree with is that I'd probably take the F4 since we've never made one and it is a stain on our basketball résumé.

Yeah...but we've also never won the CWS. For sure a hard one to pick...we have a shot -now- for the Baseball championship so that's probably why I'm picking it, had you asked me at the start of March Madness the answer would be F4 without a question LOL.

I used to love UT Football.

But I’ve been relatively checked out since that circus coaching search that gave us Pruitt.

Even now that things look to be heading in the right direction, I’ll be surprised if I even watch half the football games this year.

I can’t really place why. I think it’s just a culmination of a lot of things.

Yeah...but we've also never won the CWS. For sure a hard one to pick...we have a shot -now- for the Baseball championship so that's probably why I'm picking it, had you asked me at the start of March Madness the answer would be F4 without a question LOL.
Good point. For some reason, I had it in my mind that we had won it in 1951, but we were runners-up. Man...that's a tough one.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

But I’ve been relatively checked out since that circus coaching search that gave us Pruitt.

Even now that things look to be heading in the right direction, I’ll be surprised if I even watch half the football games this year.

The last 20 years have jaded a lot of people. It's been like a slow burn of disappointment to the point of creating apathy for a lot of fans. It's sad. I understand how you feel. I still watch every game I can, but it is no longer appointment television for me like it once was. I don't plan my weekends around it. Part of that was just growing up, having kids, and my time and attention just being pulled in less selfish directions, but it all definitely coincided with a consistently poor product, poor hirings/firings, and money becoming more important than the game.

Last edited:

For sure understand that. I was basically in that mindset during the Pruitt era...even before it went south that brand of football was boring. Last year was exciting again and fun to watch.

Football is also fewer games and just a one game a week commitment, so it's easier to make sure I catch them all. Basketball I normally try to catch all the games as well, even week night games are in the evenings typically so I can watch them. Baseball though, mid week, middle of the day just more of a challenge to watch every game and keep up with.

I guess if I'm really honest the most desired championship for me right now would be in Basketball. I was fortunate to be old enough to remember the '98 season, but we've never even made the FF so winning it all would be huge in that sport and Barnes is without a doubt deserving.

Feel mostly the same way. There was a time I planned everything around the games. I started feeling that way about 20 years ago. Not sure exactly why. Maybe getting older and having kids has something to do with it. Sports kinda takes a back seat

Reactions: cncchris33

Echoing mostly everyone else above me, I feel this exact same way. I typically watch every football game in the Fall if possible, but I try not to schedule my life around it any more. I’m 30, I’ve spent an entire life not knowing what good Tennessee football looks like essentially, so each year that passes by with another middling record is another year closer to me just not caring as much about the program any more.

It doesn’t mean I won’t watch the games or won’t support the program, it’s just not the same veracity with which I support our programs that have been mostly drama free and built to be huge successes.

Football is big, and I get that, but I do my best to appreciate the winning culture Barnes and Vitello have now built on Rocky Top and I’m not going to trade a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in either of those sports for a singular win in football.

Plus, I imagine it would really irk the Hawgs and Candy fans if Tennessee Baseball won a national championship, which is a nice little addition to a title.

I only have so much time in the day with work and graduate school at night that I want to spend the hours watching Tennessee win games.

Pruitt. Dooley. Butch. John Angus Currie. Bama Dave Hart. Fulmer part deux. Paying Kevin Steele a million dollars to work a couple of weeks. GA State. 4-8/0-8. Bama, FL, UGA dominating. Losing record versus Candy. Throwing away the OK and BYU games in Neyland. Not going for 2 at Texas A&M. Bailing out on good matchups and scheduling cupcakes. It’s painful to be invested in that slop.

I got like this during the end of the Butch/all of the Pruitt years but I’d be lying if I said I’m not all the way back in on football. I’m in the recruiting forum again as much as I am in here and have been hanging by any football news I can get my hands on. Could not possibly be more excited for this season.

Reactions: GameTime
Very thought provoking conversation.

I would put a win over a typical Bama team right between a final 8/final 4 win in basketball. I think a baseball natty would be somewhere near a win over Kentucky in football or a win in the first round of the NCAA tourney in basketball, in my book.

I have never been to a baseball game at UT, but I have watched them on TV. I'm excited for them, but that is just not my sport any more. If I was actively playing softball, I guess I would get into it more.

VN Store

Back