The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

OK, random question but important when certain players are discussed. Read an article on SB Nation just now touting Zach Edey as an NBA prospect in the right situation. The question comes from a statement the writer made. Basically said that Edey is allowed to camp out in the lane because there is no 3 second rule in college but that there is one in the NBA and he won’t be allowed to camp out in the lane. I thought there was a 3 second rule in college but maybe I’ve been wrong all along. Or is the writer wrong? Does anyone know?

OK, random question but important when certain players are discussed. Read an article on SB Nation just now touting Zach Edey as an NBA prospect in the right situation. The question comes from a statement the writer made. Basically said that Edey is allowed to camp out in the lane because there is no 3 second rule in college but that there is one in the NBA and he won’t be allowed to camp out in the lane. I thought there was a 3 second rule in college but maybe I’ve been wrong all along. Or is the writer wrong? Does anyone know?

If there is, I haven't seen it called in forever.

There is no defensive 3 second rule in college but there is in the NBA.

When I was younger, big football games and basketball games like this I would start to get nervous like 2 days before at least and generally it would be all I could think about.

Now that I'm older and responsiblities and all, it usually doesn't happen until closer to the game. But with an hour or 2 of the game the same feeling prop up and honestly now I get way more jumpy about big basketball games than I do football.
Yeah, I work really hard to try to not get like this. I try to get perspective, get my mind calm, etc. never works.

For some reason, only in men's college basketball, you are considered cleared in the lane if you only put one foot partially out. You also get a pause in the count if you are gathering for a shot. That's according to a post from a college official who was addressing why Edey doesn't get called for what we think are violations. Granted, someone then posted a video in reply where he spent 7 seconds fully in the lane with both feet without ever attempting a shot.

These next 48-55 hours (roughly) are going to be some of the most stressed I have been about any Tennessee athletics event in maybe a decade or more. I want this Final Four badly. We have arguably the toughest path this weekend to get there of any team, but we have the talent to do it.

We just have to perform. We have been ice cold shooting over these past 3-4 weeks and are still kicking, so hoping that means good things are on the horizon. Defense can only carry you so far, we have to make shots to beat elite teams this weekend.
RJ Davis from UNC had one of those terrible shooting performances (4-20) against Alabama last night and it cost them dearly. Never know when those guys are going to be off. Hope Knecht is at least decent tonight.

RJ Davis from UNC had one of those terrible shooting performances (4-20) against Alabama last night and it cost them dearly. Never know when those guys are going to be off. Hope Knecht is at least decent tonight.

I’m less worried about Knecht tonight. He has rarely, if ever, shot poorly two games in a row. And I don’t think Creighton is going to be as physical with him as other teams to prevent fouling. They aren’t deep.

My biggest concern is just if a 2nd and 3rd option step up tonight to score the ball as well. We need ZZ to be on his game.

I think the game tonight will come down to how well Creighton shoots the ball from deep and if we can defend without putting them on the line.

We can win without shooting great from deep, obviously it'll make things easier for us if we can hit our 3s but if we keep them 70 or below I like our chances.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I think the game tonight will come down to how well Creighton shoots the ball from deep and if we can defend without putting them on the line.

We can win without shooting great from deep, obviously it'll make things easier for us if we can hit our 3s but if we keep them 70 or below I like our chances.

We should have experience in how to win a game like this and I hope it pays off. We beat Alabama twice doing this. You have to run them off the 3-point line and force them to take contested perimeter shots.

You can live with Creighton or Alabama getting into the paint and taking tough shots with Aidoo’s rim protection. You can’t live with either team taking 20-30 open or somewhat open 3’s. Give up paint points and take away their strength and we can win.

We’ve done it before, we just have to do it again.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

I read that the clock on 3-seconds resets if a player is making an attempt to exit the painted area.

I would guess that it is too difficult for refs to watch everything going on and accurately time exactly 3 seconds to make the call. The 3 point line has also reduced the advantage that teams with a dominating center used to have so it might not be considered as important. It all seems silly. Camping out in the lane shouldn’t be a legitimate strategy.

For some reason, only in men's college basketball, you are considered cleared in the lane if you only put one foot partially out. You also get a pause in the count if you are gathering for a shot. That's according to a post from a college official who was addressing why Edey doesn't get called for what we think are violations. Granted, someone then posted a video in reply where he spent 7 seconds fully in the lane with both feet without ever attempting a shot.
Thanks. The writer implied that there is no 3 second rule at all in college. Said that Edey will struggle in the pros because they will call 3 seconds. Sounds like there may be a rule but there is a lot of latitude and the college refs pay no attention to it. As the other poster said, I’ve never seen it called in years.

Vols shoot close to their season average 34% I like our chances. Vols shoot less than 25% then defense has gotta be playing out of their minds to beat this Creighton team.

I know what this says about me as a grown man, but I woke up at 3 am this morning and thought about the game and tensed up immediately. Heart raced and all. I know what it says about me, and I’ve come to peace with it.
This, but only during bball season for some reason for me. In fact I broke a knuckle trying to reach in and get a steal in the middle of the night a few months back.(asleep and in the dark I guess my nightstand looked like a basketball) It was after a close loss and the defense wasn't good so I guess I was trying to do my part. 😅

My wife's also woke me several times for "jerking". I try to tell her I'm trying to shoot over somebody or go up to block a shot. Gotta support the team...

This, but only during bball season for some reason for me. In fact I broke a knuckle trying to reach in and get a steal in the middle of the night a few months back.(asleep and in the dark I guess my nightstand looked like a basketball) It was after a close loss and the defense wasn't good so I guess I was trying to do my part. 😅

My wife's also woke me several times for "jerking". I try to tell her I'm trying to shoot over somebody or go up to block a shot. Gotta support the team...
We need help my man. I don’t want help, but I need it.

Reactions: Lefteye

Well at least you didn't punch her.

We should have experience in how to win a game like this and I hope it pays off. We beat Alabama twice doing this. You have to run them off the 3-point line and force them to take contested perimeter shots.

You can live with Creighton or Alabama getting into the paint and taking tough shots with Aidoo’s rim protection. You can’t live with either team taking 20-30 open or somewhat open 3’s. Give up paint points and take away their strength and we can win.

We’ve done it before, we just have to do it again.
yes this ^^^^^

sigh-of-relief-omg.gif

Reactions: berryvol
I swear I hate teams that make 5 30 footers in a row when you're trying to end a game.

Otherwise, Barnes is now in second for our all time great coaches. He may even be ahead of Mears but man, Mears was so good here. Barnes is definitely our post season best.

VN Store

Back