The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I said all week that Green might be OUR best player. He did what I hoped he would do and kind of what I suspected he would do. Ultimately, he helped us even more than I thought he would, and kept it up the whole game. For those Bruce Pearl lovers, this is a huge example of Pearl allowing his players the “freedom” to do what they want, but it likely is a loss directly due to his coaching.
But you won't hear that from the people who want to pin every Tennessee loss on Barnes because they pine for the days of Pearl, who they also complained about, but revisionist history is a funny thing.

Guess I saw this game through a different lenses. Kessler stuffed Aidoo and Uros when they tried to take it right to him early in the game. Fulky wouldn’t really even attempt to shoot when Kessler was around. Do don’t lead the country in blocks by getting lucky.

I’m not sure what you think Smith is supposed to do. Dropped 28 points against one of the top 10 defensive teams in the country. His guards hurt him more than helped. I left that game more impressed with Smith not less. But, I’m not BTO so maybe I’m wrong?
Smith was great, but we forced him to be the one player that beat us. His 27 points came on 30 combined FGAs and FTAs. That's a win for Tennessee.

Rewatched the game last night. Jabari Smith was running his mouth a LOT, I'm not saying our guys weren't also chirping but he specifically for Auburn seemed to always have his gums flapping.

Always whining to the officials even when he got blocked a few times. Bumping up on ZZ after a made shot once, him and Uros went back/forth a lot and he tried to get into a few other player's faces.

Rewatched the game last night. Jabari Smith was running his mouth a LOT, I'm not saying our guys weren't also chirping but he specifically for Auburn seemed to always have his gums flapping.

Always whining to the officials even when he got blocked a few times. Bumping up on ZZ after a made shot once, him and Uros went back/forth a lot and he tried to get into a few other player's faces.
I respect his game, but after being there and seeing the number of players he clashed with, I lost that personal respect. Yes, players can jaw, but some of his actions were over-the-top, as were his head coach in allowing the dance on the Tennessee logo. That is where you have distinct differences in Pearl and Barnes. One encourages and participates in questionable behavior, and the other doesn’t. One is a true leader of young men, and one isn’t.

Only Gonzaga could lose and stay number one lol

Or a number 1 team losing on the same day that 2,3,4,5 and 6 also lose might be the reason….

People act like the Zags are Duke,unc or uk…. I’ve never understood that. They’re just the ultimate mid-major program that had a few nice Cinderella runs and then stayed relevant and became a consistent power. That gets my respect.

Honestly if we had played up to snuff in all of our games, we'd be the clear cut #1 team in the nation right now, with only 2 losses @ LSU and @ Kentucky

Per Game Averages on the Season = FG% - 42.7%, 3P% - 34.7%, FT% - 71.6%

63 total (+6, +3, +3) Texas - 35.8%, 27.8%, 50% - W 63 to 52
87 total (+10, +9, 0) Bama - 34.9%, 24.1%, 85% - W 87 to 73
98 total (+22, +21, +3) TTU - 26.8%, 15.4%, 50% - W 98 to 57
79 total (+18, +12, +1) Arkansas - 27.1%, 16.7%, 66.7% - W 79 to 58
77 total (+4, +6, 0) LSU - 38.8%, 25.0%, 76.9% - L 77 to 79
78 total (+10, +15, 0) Villanova - 33.3%, 17.9%, 76.9% - W 78 to 71

Not sure there’s any team that’s ever played 30+ good games in a row, it’s basketball, off nights happen and typically on the road. Also, using % now isn’t necessarily fair to go back 2+ Months and apply, we are a better team for various reasons.
And even in games we played “poorly” it was still good enough to win. Like TTU, Bama, Texas, Arkansas. The ball bounces your way a couple times and people’s tune completely changes.

Not sure there’s any team that’s ever played 30+ good games in a row, it’s basketball, off nights happen and typically on the road. Also, using % now isn’t necessarily fair to go back 2+ Months and apply, we are a better team for various reasons.

True. Sub 30% from 3 though pretty much bit us in 6 of our 7 losses.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Or a number 1 team losing on the same day that 2,3,4,5 and 6 also lose might be the reason….

People act like the Zags are Duke,unc or uk…. I’ve never understood that. They’re just the ultimate mid-major program that had a few nice Cinderella runs and then stayed relevant and became a consistent power. That gets my respect.
If Tennessee was number one, and the exact same thing happened they would’ve fell. Same with the majority of other schools. I wasn’t being that serious, though.

If Tennessee was number one, and the exact same thing happened they would’ve fell. Same with the majority of other schools. I wasn’t being that serious, though.

I know you weren’t. :).

I think if Tennessee had been number 1 for a long time and lost their first game in over a month on the same day 2-6 also lost, we would likely stay #1. Just my opinion. 7 can’t jump to 1 and it would be hard to move someone up who also lost unless 1 lost to a really bad team, etc….

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
Providence wins the Big East. I’m still not sold on that team though. I don’t care what their record says, they feel like a team that is perfectly set up for a first weekend upset.
They are one of those teams that could get bounced early or keep winning close games in the tournament and make a run. When you win that many close games there is more to it than just luck.

VN Store

Back