The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Basilio tripling down on the NIL shortcomings within the UTAD. He now says that several non-Haslem boosters are currently working together to create an NIL "Superfund" for the athletic department.

Why can't we ask Pilot-Flying J to allocate several million of their sponsorship money to use for NIL? Then, Pilot can use the student-athletes in billboards or commercials. The only hesitancy I can see is the impending investigation, but I wouldn't worry about that.

If Hendon Hooker and Cedric Tillman return, I would assume that someone has gotten them deals. They both need a 6 figure deal to make it worth staying.

Why can't we ask Pilot-Flying J to allocate several million of their sponsorship money to use for NIL? Then, Pilot can use the student-athletes in billboards or commercials. The only hesitancy I can see is the impending investigation, but I wouldn't worry about that.

If Hendon Hooker and Cedric Tillman return, I would assume that someone has gotten them deals. They both need a 6 figure deal to make it worth staying.
I’ve said the same thing. It’s odd.

Reactions: VolGee4
My company has signed a few high profile professional athletes before to endorsement deals. I asked our marketing team about using NIL to sign college athletes. They were like “uh what’s NIL?”. It’s very new and it’s not like companies have been pining for college spokesmen. After I explained what it was they were like no we probably won’t go that route.

My company has signed a few high profile professional athletes before to endorsement deals. I asked our marketing team about using NIL to sign college athletes. They were like “uh what’s NIL?”. It’s very new and it’s not like companies have been pining for college spokesmen. After I explained what it was they were like no we probably won’t go that route.

I can understand that in certain industries. But the point with Pilot Flying J is that they are sponsoring the university anyway. Just re-allocate that money for NIL deals, and instead of just plain Pilot signs on campus, add Hendon Hooker's picture to it. Of course, the school doesn't directly benefit. But if NIL deals keep Hooker and Tillman and get better talent to campus, then the school will directly benefit from that through ticket sales and other revenue streams.

Reactions: cncchris33
I think that reaction makes sense to the already unaffiliated. But a company like Pilot already sponsors the university and the athletic department. This is just a different way to do it. Living in Kentucky, it amazes me how much further along they are, even on a small level that anything I've heard of around Knoxville.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I think that reaction makes sense to the already unaffiliated. But a company like Pilot already sponsors the university and the athletic department. This is just a different way to do it. Living in Kentucky, it amazes me how much further along they are, even on a small level that anything I've heard of around Knoxville.
Are you mostly referring to the company pay rolling the UK basketball team?

The Pilot truck stop ownership is about to be transferred completely to Berkshire Hathaway and the Haslams have struck a deal to sell their local stores to a different company. The decisions on the Pilot marketing budgets are soon to be out of local hands. The stores were local and the truck stops nationwide. UT athlete NIL deals with Pilot aren’t really appropriate anymore.

Are you mostly referring to the company pay rolling the UK basketball team?
All of it. There are tons of smaller level deals around town, as well, for both sports. And they are all publicized which only generates more positive publicity and interest from other companies. There may be deals for Tennessee athletes, but I hardly ever see them mentioned on social media in the way I do UK athletes.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Basilio tripling down on the NIL shortcomings within the UTAD. He now says that several non-Haslem boosters are currently working together to create an NIL "Superfund" for the athletic department.
Swain had hinted at this this week too. Not in as many words, but he said something along the lines of "To anyone complaining about UT and NIL stuff and wanting to know more, just wait a couple weeks. You'll see something."

Not a direct quote, but pretty darn close to what I remember him saying Wednesday I believe.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer

VN Store

Back