The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Alabama by 8
Missouri by 9

LSU by 13
Florida by 26
Kentucky by 15
Ole Miss by 2

I still think with a healthy Springer we win 1 or 2 of those bold games, the crazy thing to me is we got 6 losses...same as Iowa & WVU, both are top 10 teams right now though. Both have lost to Gonzaga, maybe that's why they are getting top 10 hype and we're being painted as an underachieving team?

I try to wait until the whole picture is painted to make definitive claims, such as “most underachieving UT team”...win the next 2 games which are very winnable and we are pretty much right on target with most preseason projections, still a chance they also throw in the South Carolina which we are still owed and that’s another possible win.

Before someone says it, I’m well aware this team is likely not going to win 3 in a row based off track record regardless of opponent, just stating the picture can change quite a bit over the next 2-3 games.

I try to wait until the whole picture is painted to make definitive claims, such as “most underachieving UT team”...win the next 2 games which are very winnable and we are pretty much right on target with most preseason projections, still a chance they also throw in the South Carolina which we are still owed and that’s another possible win.

Before someone says it, I’m well aware this team is likely not going to win 3 in a row based off track record regardless of opponent, just stating the picture can change quite a bit over the next 2-3 games.
Yeah, considering that most of the weight of your accomplishments is skewed towards the NCAA Tournament it's kind of silly to even bring that up now. Still a lot of basketball to be played.

Alabama by 8
Missouri by 9

LSU by 13
Florida by 26
Kentucky by 15
Ole Miss by 2

I still think with a healthy Springer we win 1 or 2 of those bold games, the crazy thing to me is we got 6 losses...same as Iowa & WVU, both are top 10 teams right now though. Both have lost to Gonzaga, maybe that's why they are getting top 10 hype and we're being painted as an underachieving team?
The committee supposedly takes injuries into consideration.

The problem is not losing to teams like Kentucky, Florida and LSU. It's that we are not even competitive in those games. Good teams lose a few games but they compete night in and night out.
Not true - the majority of good teams lay an egg occasionally when their shots don’t fall

I mean there's 2 teams that are elite/great teams. Michigan is also a damn good team, but when the rest of your top 10 is rocking 5 losses or more and we're sitting in similar spots record wise to any of these other top teams I guess I don't see it as super underachieving.

The squad here during Grant's last year are to me the most underachieving based on that single season. No regular season title (not even a share), No SECT title even with beating Kentucky, No Elite Eight or Final Four run...with 3 players that were drafted in the NBA after than season with a couple more off that roster who have gotten opportunities to camp in the NBA (Bowden & Alexander). So yeah 31-6 was nice and all, but they didn't win anything title wise and returned every single contributor from the previous season's SEC regular season championship squad.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Seems like Keon or JJJ are the closest to being alphas for this team.

Keon though still makes a lot of freshman mistakes, bad fouls, dumb passes, confusing shot decisions...so it's almost like until it works through that and gains some confidence he's not letting himself be that outspoken dog.

James obviously knows what Barnes & coaches want out of the team on both sides of the court, but with him not willing to force the issues on offense I don't know if he can/will really be an alpha. He has the comfort in the system, the size, the talent, but if he won't step-up and drop 30 on teams then it's hard to imagine an 8-10 a night scorer being considered an alpha.

Jaden has the game, but just not the personality. I think both incoming freshmen next year might have it, doesn't help us this year though.
You don’t have to have the personality to be the guy that makes the big plays. Jaden is the alpha dog along with Keon. I would go with Jaden as 1a and Keon as 1b based on overall results.

Sometimes the light comes on brightly all at once. Fulkerson is capable, but nobody can predict his future performance. If he’s able to carry the burden down low the next few games, this team could make it interesting.

Springer is the alpha Dog on this team, PERIOD. Keon has more potential, but right now, Springer is the man. He needs to take control of this team and be the scoring PG that he will be in the NBA, just like Barnes said. Now guys like Fulk, JJJ, even Pons seem quiet, all for different reasons, but they are not vocal leaders. I don't know that much about Springer other than what I've seen on the court, but I think he is more of a vocal leader than the other 3 guys, I mentioned. Hopefully, he is, and even if he is not, he can lead by example, especially when u share the ball and get your teammates easy shots. Imo, for this team to get to a Sweet 16 or even better, then Springer has to put this team on his shoulders and lead, along with carry, when we go thru one of those damn scoring droughts. He is too good at getting in the lane at a triple threat position to allow those droughts and that also frees up Vescovi and Bailey to do what they do best, SHOOT

Reactions: cardvolfan
I mean there's 2 teams that are elite/great teams. Michigan is also a damn good team, but when the rest of your top 10 is rocking 5 losses or more and we're sitting in similar spots record wise to any of these other top teams I guess I don't see it as super underachieving.

The squad here during Grant's last year are to me the most underachieving based on that single season. No regular season title (not even a share), No SECT title even with beating Kentucky, No Elite Eight or Final Four run...with 3 players that were drafted in the NBA after than season with a couple more off that roster who have gotten opportunities to camp in the NBA (Bowden & Alexander). So yeah 31-6 was nice and all, but they didn't win anything title wise and returned every single contributor from the previous season's SEC regular season championship squad.
Anthony Jordan robbed us of at least a share of the regular season championship on that fateful afternoon in Baton Rouge

Btw, all u idiots that think JJJ is not the glue that holds this team together, then u haven't been paying attention. A healthy JJJ, SC/ Fulk, Springer taking control of point and the team with Keon's will to win, that's what I wanna see come March. Yeah, Pons blocking everything, hitting everything from 15 feet in and grabbing 2 more rebounds a game, while I throwing out dream scenarios

Reactions: walkenvol
Chew on this awhile.

Ala has a great shot at a #1 seed in NCAAT

How would you feel if Ala won natty in Football and Basketball? It is a possibility.

Btw, all u idiots that think JJJ is not the glue that holds this team together, then u haven't been paying attention. A healthy JJJ, SC/ Fulk, Springer taking control of point and the team with Keon's will to win, that's what I wanna see come March. Yeah, Pons blocking everything, hitting everything from 15 feet in and grabbing 2 more rebounds a game, while I throwing out dream scenarios

Yeah JJJ is without a question one of our leaders and -the- glue guy.

We've really missed his rebounding.

Reactions: The Dog
He did. Flat out highway robbery. Still not sure what he’s doing or where he’s officiating.
He's back doing SEC games. It was clear they took him off of SEC games for a while. I think he was doing ASUN games or Sun Belt, one of those. Now he's back in the SEC though.

Take from this what you will, the only 3 SEC teams he hasn't officiated this year, at least from what I can tell: LSU, Tennessee, and Alabama.

Reactions: cardvolfan
We need to go small, did it a lot tonight, need to continue it. Fulk’s minutes cut down, most of Pons coming at the 5, most of JJJ’s at the 4, if you need ORN then he’s at the 5 without Pons or Fulk out there. Ride the guards...the turnovers have to chill out though, goodness. I know people hate the offense and I’m not trying to make a case it was great, but goodness take care of the ball and we put up 80 tonight, hard to spin that any other way. Our fg% was good, 3pt was decent, ft% very good and we got there a lot...but good lord waaaaay too many turnovers, and most of which were dumb/unforced.

We need to go small, did it a lot tonight, need to continue it. Fulk’s minutes cut down, most of Pons coming at the 5, most of JJJ’s at the 4, if you need ORN then he’s at the 5 without Pons or Fulk out there. Ride the guards...the turnovers have to chill out though, goodness. I know people hate the offense and I’m not trying to make a case it was great, but goodness take care of the ball and we put up 80 tonight, hard to spin that any other way. Our fg% was good, 3pt was decent, ft% very good and we got there a lot...but good lord waaaaay too many turnovers, and most of which were dumb/unforced.

Springer 30
Johnson 30
JJJ 30
Pons 30
Bailey 25
Vescovi 25
Fulk 20
ON 10

That would be how it should break down for me.

Reactions: Vol49er
Springer 30
Johnson 30
JJJ 30
Pons 30
Bailey 25
Vescovi 25
Fulk 20
ON 10

That would be how it should break down for me.
I want Keon out there as much as possible, but if he is going to average almost 5 TOs per game, it's so hard. He has 18 made shots and 23 TOs in his last 5 games. If his name was Vescovi or Bailey, we'd be screaming to bench him. He has got to rein that in, quickly, because we clearly don't have better options.

Reactions: walkenvol
I want Keon out there as much as possible, but if he is going to average almost 5 TOs per game, it's so hard. He has 18 made shots and 23 TOs in his last 5 games. If his name was Vescovi or Bailey, we'd be screaming to bench him. He has got to rein that in, quickly, because we clearly don't have better options.
His defense is still great though. Managed to be a team best +21 tonight

Sometimes the light comes on brightly all at once. Fulkerson is capable, but nobody can predict his future performance. If he’s able to carry the burden down low the next few games, this team could make it interesting.

Fulkerson is an absolute basket case. He starts okay, but at the first sign of things not going his way, he is done for the night.

The push of the player (I think it was his second foul) is an indication that when he is not on his game, his mental state is a total collapse.

It is a bad time of the season to do it, but he needs to be benched totally for 2-3 games to get his head back.

VN Store

Back