The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Just saying i am proud of our Ladies tonight. Yes we lost to uconn. But it was absolutely a step up. Had that place been packed, and I wish it could've been, we may have won. But i am proud. Just keep recruiting and hang in there. I don't post often about our lady Vols but I think we are closer .

Reactions: Vol49er
And it’s possible the HC is already on the staff.
Like Oats at Buffalo. I like that he’s proven that he will go out and target the best candidates no matter where they’re coming from. Whether it’s someone currently on staff, a successful assistant on a top program, even on the other side of the country, a veteran coach, or one that has had tremendous success in lower divisions of the NCAA. I think that’s what’s most impressive to me IMO

Just saying i am proud of our Ladies tonight. Yes we lost to uconn. But it was absolutely a step up. Had that place been packed, and I wish it could've been, we may have won. But i am proud. Just keep recruiting and hang in there. I don't post often about our lady Vols but I think we are closer .
Have to be proud of them tonight.

Reactions: ArdentVol
The trolls with their idiotic takes are out in droves tonight. Fahr Barnes. He doesn’t have 4 and 5 stars all the way through a 12 man rotation.
Yeah, I’ve seen so many awful hot takes about this team. The part that hurts to watch as a Vols fan is that so many of our players see the negativity. Its real. Our fanbase needs a temporary mute button after a loss. Its not just football.

It’s big time college basketball with all the perks and adoration when they play well. The scrutiny comes with poor play. Sack up and deal or transfer down to a level with little fan following and less perks : adoration.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
It’s big time college basketball with all the perks and adoration when they play well. The scrutiny comes with poor play. Sack up and deal or transfer down to a level with little fan following and less perks : adoration.
Yes but Volnation has an ego like these teams OWE us an undefeated season - even when its not realistic and turn on the team when bad things happen (injuries, losses, coach changes, transfers, etc). Part of cheering on a team is accepting losses and to move on and grow from it. (There is a) Lot of loser mentalities here.

Yes but Volnation has an ego like these teams OWE us an undefeated season - even when its not realistic and turn on the team when bad things happen (injuries, losses, coach changes, transfers, etc). Part of cheering on a team is accepting losses and to move on and grow from it. (There is a) Lot of loser mentalities here.
I don’t disagree with your take, just in your sympathy for the players and coaches. If you follow my posts at all you know I’m much more positive than critical. But, to whom much is given much is expected. In non- Covid years TBA is electric for rivalry games. The bball facilities and support or as good as it gets. You’ve got to be tough enough to take the bad with all the massive volumes of good that comes with playing for the Vols - toughen up snowflakes. JMO of course.

I know others disagree, but Mac McClung would have been a big help this season for us I think. We have worried about nobody with Jaden out creating their own shot and taking over on offense, and he could have filled that hole and I think would've been worth the defensive trade off, IMO. I have no idea whether Barnes would have wanted him had their been an open spot but I have to imagine he'd at least have been an upgrade over Bailey (and of course somebody like Pember or Gaines, though I think Gaines could be a useful player down the line).

I know others disagree, but Mac McClung would have been a big help this season for us I think. We have worried about nobody with Jaden out creating their own shot and taking over on offense, and he could have filled that hole and I think would've been worth the defensive trade off, IMO. I have no idea whether Barnes would have wanted him had their been an open spot but I have to imagine he'd at least have been an upgrade over Bailey (and of course somebody like Pember or Gaines, though I think Gaines could be a useful player down the line).
People complain about the amount shots Bailey takes, McClung takes even more and their percentages are almost identical, he also turns it over more than Bailey.

People complain about the amount shots Bailey takes, McClung takes even more and their percentages are almost identical, he also turns it over more than Bailey.
I think the complaining about Bailey's shots is more an inditement of our other players not wanting to take shots, being unselfish to a fault, rather than Bailey himself being a ball hawk. At least that's my opinion of the situation. But you figure if McClung is taking even more shots than Bailey (and judging by the 3 TT games I've seen, taking more difficult shots) yet shooting the same percentages, he could be more efficient were he on this team in Bailey's role. The advanced statistics generally favor McClung as well (WinShares per 40 favor MM, 2.31 to 1.88, as does BPM, 8.5 to 6.3). He has better assist, rebound, and block percentages as well (steal percentage Bailey has a slight lead). Their DPMs are nearly identical, McClung has 1 Defensive Win Share and Bailey has 0.7 (I think theyre probably about even as defenders)
I am not trying to trash VB, I think he is often a helpful player and I'm glad he's on the team. I just think McClung would have been an upgrade.

As I have stated before McClung is fine, I think he’s a similar player to Bailey (we can debate who’s better), but the fact is Bailey was on this roster, it wasn’t that we took Bailey over McClung. Adding Mac in theory would’ve meant no Anosike or say Plavsic leaving, fine on paper but now you’re adding a 30mpg volume shooter to the already crowded backcourt? Doesn’t seem like a great recipe.

Again, as I said before, if we didn’t have Bailey, or Vescovi, or missed on one of the freshman then I could’ve seen more of a need, but I just don’t really see the fit on this roster.

As I have stated before McClung is fine, I think he’s a similar player to Bailey (we can debate who’s better), but the fact is Bailey was on this roster, it wasn’t that we took Bailey over McClung. Adding Mac in theory would’ve meant no Anosike or say Plavsic leaving, fine on paper but now you’re adding a 30mpg volume shooter to the already crowded backcourt? Doesn’t seem like a great recipe.

Again, as I said before, if we didn’t have Bailey, or Vescovi, or missed on one of the freshman then I could’ve seen more of a need, but I just don’t really see the fit on this roster.
I'd rather have him over Uros. Sure its a crowded backcourt, but I don't think thats a death kneel, and Uros, while seeming like a great dude, might not ever contribute in any meaningful way to UT winning games. And McClung being here could keep all the guards fresh, and be a Godsend if one of our guards got injured, like Jaden Springer.

I realize Bailey was already on the roster, of course there was no way the coaches could have known McClung would be available when they took Bailey, I'm just discussing what could have been, cause I'm bored

I'd rather have him over Uros. Sure its a crowded backcourt, but I don't think thats a death kneel, and Uros, while seeming like a great dude, might not ever contribute in any meaningful way to UT winning games. And McClung being here could keep all the guards fresh, and be a Godsend if one of our guards got injured, like Jaden Springer.

I realize Bailey was already on the roster, of course there was no way the coaches could have known McClung would be available when they took Bailey, I'm just discussing what could have been, cause I'm bored
Chemistry is a huge component, especially under Barnes, McClung is getting 30mpg at TTU, doubt he gets that here. Does that become and issue? If he did get 30 does Bailey become an issue? What about Springer or Johnson? I guess in short I just don’t see us being better with him on the roster, now an elite PG or post man, sure.

A year ago Uros hung 16 on Miss St...just sayin

Chemistry is a huge component, especially under Barnes, McClung is getting 30mpg at TTU, doubt he gets that here. Does that become and issue? If he did get 30 does Bailey become an issue? What about Springer or Johnson? I guess in short I just don’t see us being better with him on the roster, now an elite PG or post man, sure.
I agree an elite PG or big would be a better fit, I just mention McClung since he was available in the offseason and there was a lot of discussion here about him. McClung can create for others better than I think most give him credit for, I think

Regarding chemistry, maybe so, idk. Seems like our team are a bunch of team-first guys, but I can't know that of course, and I don't know anything about McClung's temperament. My general philosophy on that sort of thing (and also on, lets say, positional congestion, as in too many guards) is generally just accumulate as much talent as you can and figure out how to hash out minutes and roles later

A year ago Uros hung 16 on Miss St...just sayin
True, but that's why I worded it in the way I did, saying that he, "might not ever contribute in any meaningful way to UT winning games," because we lost that game, and I can't think of a game we have won in the last year that we would have lost without him.
He did flashing some passing ability in one of our early blowouts this year, I dont remember which one, and I love a big that can distribute from the post. I think it's way more important than having a big who can hit 35% of his threes, especially in the offense we run. That was Grant's most underrated skill and improvement from his freshman year, IMO. I'd have more hope for Uros were he not so old already (comparatively to other developing players). He was born a month after Grant

I’ve thought about starting a regular poster in-game thread to weed out the insufferable nonsense of drive by posters. We do enough fighting amongst ourselves without the interlopers that have wandered over.

What’s the over/under on new threads started because the brilliant comments of some are too special to add to the in-game comments? I’ll go with 8.

I want to see how Tennessee looks with Springer, if he was out for the season ok, but he’s not...before rushing to judgment or changing up offenses etc I want to see how this team looks at full strength.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Big difference between losses and some of the Zombie shows we get. All teams lose but don't usually look like they're sleep walking doing it.

VN Store

Back