The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

What's kind of a silver lining, Wideman can spend this entire semester working with the basketball team as a walk-on basically. Then next year when we can use him more he could go on scholarship and be a freshmen eligibility wise.

Sucks he'd have to forfeit his football scholarship most likely to go full time basketball. But the first season eligibility he's had on campus won't count either way with COVID issues. I don't know if he'll stick with football or switch to basketball though, he seems to have an interest in both and that's one reason we got him.

What's kind of a silver lining, Wideman can spend this entire semester working with the basketball team as a walk-on basically. Then next year when we can use him more he could go on scholarship and be a freshmen eligibility wise.

Sucks he'd have to forfeit his football scholarship most likely to go full time basketball. But the first season eligibility he's had on campus won't count either way with COVID issues. I don't know if he'll stick with football or switch to basketball though, he seems to have an interest in both and that's one reason we got him.
There is a less than zero chance he goes on basketball scholarship

There is a less than zero chance he goes on basketball scholarship

Mathematically impossible, but I feel the same he seems more interested in football than basketball. I'm not entirely sure why he is willing/wanting to spend Spring with the basketball team except to help him stay in better shape for when Spring football starts.

Reminds me a lot of Richardson...his offensive game is definitely trailing his defense, and he’s a guy who wants to defend first, much like JR.
Same here. Reminds me a lot of JRich and by extension, Keon Johnson, as well. I have used JRich as a comp for him, too. All three were/are similar players at the same stage.

Last edited:
Same here. Reminds me a lot of JRich and by extension, Keon Johnson, as well. I have used JRich as a comp for him, too. All three were/are similar players at the same stage.
There was a discussion a couple of weeks ago where Keon was mentioned in the same mold as Richardson, and several posters said that was crazy. Said Keon couldn't shoot the 3 so the comparison was invalid. Anybody remember that?

There was a discussion a couple of weeks ago where Keon was mentioned in the same mold as Richardson, and several posters said that was crazy. Said Keon couldn't shoot the 3 so the comparison was invalid. Anybody remember that?
I don't remember that, but my comparison between the two goes back to well before a couple weeks ago (spring/summer of 2020).

FWIW, JR was a terrible 3-pt shooter his freshman and sophomore seasons. He developed that ability as an upperclassman. Any comparison between the two should re reflective of similar stages in their careers.

I don't remember that, but my comparison between the two goes back to well before a couple weeks ago (spring/summer of 2020).

FWIW, JR was a terrible 3-pt shooter his freshman and sophomore seasons. He developed that ability as an upperclassman. Any comparison between the two should re reflective of similar stages in their careers.
Yeah, I said the same thing, but got called out. I thought I was correct.....haha.

As far as Springer is concerned, if his shot seems mechanical and robotic, I’ll take it. Secondly, Barnes said he plays with two feet and that was very impressive to him. Barnes says too many guys play out of control with one foot. So, which is it? I trust Barnes and his knowledge.

Also, regarding Keon, we have to remember he only played in FOUR games as a senior, plus the fact he had a significant injury. In light of the rust inherent in his recovery, I think the best of Keon is going to be special from the 15-game mark onward.
Springer jumpshot is definitely very mechanical and it will limit his growth potential as a deep threat. His early low volume success from college 3pt has had too much influence on our opinion on him as a deep threat. The mechanical nature of his shot will show up with even more negative impact as he attempts to extend his range out to the NBA 3pt line. It's fixable but will take considerable time and effort. I am with you on the 2 foot attacks. How can that be treated as a negative? It's not like he isn't capable of jumping off one foot to score. The fact is he has conditioned himself to play off two feet. It's on purpose. It makes you stronger and more versatile when you attack. I really don't think that will hinder him at the next level.

Springer jumpshot is definitely very mechanical and it will limit his growth potential as a deep threat. His early low volume success from college 3pt has had too much influence on our opinion on him as a deep threat. The mechanical nature of his shot will show up with even more negative impact as he attempts to extend his range out to the NBA 3pt line. It's fixable but will take considerable time and effort. I am with you on the 2 foot attacks. How can that be treated as a negative? It's not like he isn't capable of jumping off one foot to score. The fact is he has conditioned himself to play off two feet. It's on purpose. It makes you stronger and more versatile when you attack. I really don't think that will hinder him at the next level.

It takes more time to gather yourself off of 2 than 1 and that fraction of a second can make the difference in you getting your shot off in the NBA or getting it thrown into the 3rd row. He is a compact athlete that has great contact balance due to his solid frame, but the wings in the NBA are just on another planet. He won't have the time to consistently gather himself and shoot over the top of NBA wings like he has been able to do in HS and college.

The NBA is a star driven league so the NBA drafts on ceiling and projections more than anything. At 6'4" Springer won't be able to make a living scoring that way at the next level like he can in college.

It takes more time to gather yourself off of 2 than 1 and that fraction of a second can make the difference in you getting your shot off in the NBA or getting it thrown into the 3rd row. He is a compact athlete that has great contact balance due to his solid frame, but the wings in the NBA are just on another planet. He won't have the time to consistently gather himself and shoot over the top of NBA wings like he has been able to do in HS and college.

The NBA is a star driven league so the NBA drafts on ceiling and projections more than anything. At 6'4" Springer won't be able to make a living scoring that way at the next level like he can in college.
Agree on the mechanics of the two-footed jump. It is also more difficult to make an athletic play off of two feet.

There is a place in the game for both options and it benefits any player to be able to play off of 1 or 2 feet. You don't want to be restricted to only being able to play off of two feet, and you don't want to be restricted to going into traffic off of one foot because you don't know how to stop and gather yourself.

Edit: As an example, watch Brandon (BJ) Boston for UK as an example of a player who doesn't know how to play off of 2 feet. He gets himself into so much trouble running into a crowd because he doesn't know how to stop and gather himself and he isn't strong enough to play in traffic.

Last edited:

There is obviously a time and place for both. Athletes at that level have are much more successful effecting shots/blocking shots when the offensive player attacks off 1 foot. Just because a player stops to gather off two feet does not mean that the defender has an easier time blocking their shot. The offensive player can vary the speed that they got back up, they can shot fake, they can still use their pivot to create space, and they can use their body to initiate contact and create space. That last thing is something Springer does at an elite level. That is why euro and slow side steps have become so prevalent. It's about disrupting the timing of the defender.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This is a quote from Stackhouse the other day:

Vandy coach Jerry Stackhouse on #Vols’ rim protection: “Going in there and launching off of one foot is a recipe for disaster."

Reactions: cardvolfan
This is a quote from Stackhouse the other day:

Vandy coach Jerry Stackhouse on #Vols’ rim protection: “Going in there and launching off of one foot is a recipe for disaster."
I don't think he is a bad coach at all. He just can't get players there.

I don't think he is a bad coach at all. He just can't get players there.
Vandy would be wise to give him 2-3 more years to see what he can do. He doesn’t embarrass them like a Penny H and he’s probably forgotten more basketball than 1/2 the other D1 coaches know after 18 years in the NBA. If he were a stock, I’d invest. JMO

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back