The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I think he suffered from depression, but I also thought that he had an alcohol problem. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. (As a young person, I knew nothing of his problems. I can't speak for other fans.)

Also, I think that King had a few legal issues in Knoxville, and it was probably good that he left when he did.

Don't get me wrong, these were some of the biggest disappointments of my life, when they left.

Always heard he [Ray Mears] fought a long bout with depression that got increasingly severe.. He was a very intellingent and complex man. I was a no-talent player at his summer camp during the AW Davis era and he struck me years later as a very kind and thoughtful man.

Last edited:
Reactions: i2amavol
If you have an issue with someone, you probably aren’t looking to be buddy buddy with their best friend.
Are you really that petty though when it comes to making your team better? Granted I think the players we are pursuing are better, but to not extend at least an offer to second best player in your state just seems weird.

Are you really that petty though when it comes to making your team better? Granted I think the players we are pursuing are better, but to not extend at least an offer to second best player in your state just seems weird.

Dal you are missing the point. The bad blood is on both sides. The odds of the son of a coach that is at odds with another coach being able to be recruited isn’t good at all. Not worth the effort

Dal you are missing the point. The bad blood is on both sides. The odds of the son of a coach that is at odds with another coach being able to be recruited isn’t good at all. Not worth the effort
I’m not saying we actively try to land him, just a courtesy offer is all.

Look at our offer list, we don’t just offer guys, this staff offers guys they feel are a good fit and won’t be an issue.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Well I mean, he’s a top 2 player in the state. I just found it odd.
I think 99 out of 100 times that would be odd but this is a unique situation. The exception to the rule. Most schools would be at least somewhat interested in the 2nd best player in the state if there weren't any major red flags that were obvious.

I think 99 out of 100 times that would be odd but this is a unique situation. The exception to the rule. Most schools would be at least somewhat interested in the 2nd best player in the state if there weren't any major red flags that were obvious.
It’s actually pretty common for Tennessee to not offer some of the Top 2-3 guys in the state, definitely hasn’t been 99% that’s for sure.

VN Store

Back