The most grant Williams technical foul imaginable.

The NBA is unwatchable. I've tried and tried, but... it just sucks.

It is. The 3 ball has finally brought @ the demise of that beautiful game. I remember the old fogies in the early 80s saying that it would. I thought they were morons. It took a generation, but it's happening. Go to Youtube and watch anything competitive from the 80s and it will look foreign. Mid range game was so beautiful before the 3 ball took over.

And in relation to that old-guy rant. I'm shocked that GWs game has translated as far as it has. Thankfully he's a fundamentally good shooter who can become an arc planter with more reps. But, his game would have translated so much better in the 70s-90s.

It is. The 3 ball has finally brought @ the demise of that beautiful game. I remember the old fogies in the early 80s saying that it would. I thought they were morons. It took a generation, but it's happening. Go to Youtube and watch anything competitive from the 80s and it will look foreign. Mid range game was so beautiful before the 3 ball took over.

And in relation to that old-guy rant. I'm shocked that GWs game has translated as far as it has. Thankfully he's a fundamentally good shooter who can become an arc planter with more reps. But, his game would have translated so much better in the 70s-90s.
Grant Williams is built just like 80's All Star Mark Aguirre (Dallas and Detroit) and he is starting to develop a similar style of game (but obviously, nowhere near as good). I agree with much of what you said here about the current state of the NBA. The 3 point shooting has become the first look on every possession (even in early offense) and it has made for a lot of ragged and disjointed play. Missed shots with long rebounds, loose balls and very little post play has become the norm. The art of playing with the back to the basket and beating someone with footwork and pivot moves like Kevin McHale or Hakeem Olajuwon has been lost. The best NBA game that I remember from the 1980's was Game 4 of the 1984 NBA Finals between the Celtics and Lakers in LA. Boston won 129-125 in OT. The game had everything, including a fight between McHale and Kurt Rambis. The Lakers somehow lost despite shooting 50-85 from the floor (58.8%). James Worthy was 14-17 with 30 points. The Lakers didn't even attempt a 3 point shot the whole game... and the Celtics were just 2-4. It was a different game back then. It was faster paced and much more entertaining.

Grant Williams is built just like 80's All Star Mark Aguirre (Dallas and Detroit) and he is starting to develop a similar style of game (but obviously, nowhere near as good). I agree with much of what you said here about the current state of the NBA. The 3 point shooting has become the first look on every possession (even in early offense) and it has made for a lot of ragged and disjointed play. Missed shots with long rebounds, loose balls and very little post play has become the norm. The art of playing with the back to the basket and beating someone with footwork and pivot moves like Kevin McHale or Hakeem Olajuwon has been lost. The best NBA game that I remember from the 1980's was Game 4 of the 1984 NBA Finals between the Celtics and Lakers in LA. Boston won 129-125 in OT. The game had everything, including a fight between McHale and Kurt Rambis. The Lakers somehow lost despite shooting 50-85 from the floor (58.8%). James Worthy was 14-17 with 30 points. The Lakers didn't even attempt a 3 point shot the whole game... and the Celtics were just 2-4. It was a different game back then. It was faster paced and much more entertaining.

I'm a get off my lawn guy, but even the old school started to get tiresome. Especially in the NCAA. Whichever team had the freakishly large low post was winning most games. Shaq. Lew. Bill W and Bill R. Ralph. Hakeem. Wilt. Patrick. Sam. I miss them now, but it started to get tiring. The 3PL flip flopped things. The various distances by conference and the initial line in the ACC were ridiculous.

that ref should be suspended for a 2 weeks without pay -- attention grabbing clown

I'm a get off my lawn guy, but even the old school started to get tiresome. Especially in the NCAA. Whichever team had the freakishly large low post was winning most games. Shaq. Lew. Bill W and Bill R. Ralph. Hakeem. Wilt. Patrick. Sam. I miss them now, but it started to get tiring. The 3PL flip flopped things. The various distances by conference and the initial line in the ACC were ridiculous.
Even if you only go back 10 years, teams weren't jacking up contested 25 foot jump shots with 15 seconds left on the shot clock. The raggedness I'm talking about really began with the Golden State Warriors success in 2015. Since then, a lot of NBA games look like 48 minutes of garbage time. There isn't much movement away from the ball or post up play. It's either a clear out for a dribble drive through the lane with either a finish or a kickout... or just a straight up heave. I can't stand watching James Harden and Houston play. If I sound old... fine. I just don't see anything entertaining about watching 50 missed jump shots a game.

Here are my suggestions for NBA changes because the players are bigger, stronger and faster than ever.
1) Move 3 pt shot back about 1 ft.
2) widen and lengthen the court by about 3 ft.
3) raise the rim 3 to 6 inches.

NBA is all slam dunk and 3 point shooting with no defense. Maybe this will make teams play some setup half court game and teams would need to play some D to be successful. I miss the days of two guards, two forwards and a traditional center. That 5 player setup is probably over regardless of what dimension changes are made.

Cant watch the NBA , its a bunch of clowns running around shooting 3s.
They travel even on 3pt shots
BoringMajesticKingfisher-size_restricted.gif

Here are my suggestions for NBA changes because the players are bigger, stronger and faster than ever.
1) Move 3 pt shot back about 1 ft.
2) widen and lengthen the court by about 3 ft.
3) raise the rim 3 to 6 inches.

NBA is all slam dunk and 3 point shooting with no defense. Maybe this will make teams play some setup half court game and teams would need to play some D to be successful. I miss the days of two guards, two forwards and a traditional center. That 5 player setup is probably over regardless of what dimension changes are made.
they may be faster but they dont play fast like college

VN Store

Back