The most disappointing thing

VOLS INC.

President/CEO
I didn’t expect to win the SEC title in years 3 or 4. What I did expect to see under Pruitt this year was an aggressive, disciplined, intelligent defense. We are none of those things. Our DBs play too far off the WR’s. We can’t cover the most basic of routes...the quick slant. No one knows where they are supposed to be pre-snap. Look at our Defense pre-snap and then watch Georgia. Their D line shifts in sync, and everyone behind them knows where to be. Our DBs are fighting over who should cover who. They look completely lost. Our D-line gets no pressure. The linebackers are aggressive, too aggressive! They bite on anything that resembles a play action pass. We also can’t wrap up, push anyone back in a pile, or contain the edge. And when we aren’t dropping interceptions, or missing tackles, we are getting penalized on 3rd down instead of getting off the field.

Let’s not pretend like this just started with Bama. Other than Missouri, our defense has looked awful. I expected more from Pruitt on this side of the ball.

DBs played decent today. Our LBs can not cover a pass even if it's the slowest lineman going on a route as an eligble receiver though.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
DBs played decent today. Our LBs can not cover a pass even if it's the slowest lineman going on a route as an eligble receiver though.
Who's suppose to cover the back coming out of the backfield? Usually it's a LB. How many plays did it take before our LB decided to cover the back out of the backfield? Several, but you are right, the LBs can't cover and I would throw in our DBs as well...Terrible defense.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Who's suppose to cover the back coming out of the backfield? Usually it's a LB. How many plays did it take before our LB decided to cover the back out of the backfield? Several, but you are right, the LBs can't cover and I would throw in our DBs as well...Terrible defense.
Quick slants or Go routes with a dump down to a back is really the only 2 plays an offense would have to call to beat us right now. Not even being dramatic. I honestly don’t believe we could stop the top tier teams if they just ran those 2 plays.

The most disappointing thing is Bama beat UT 48-17 without cracking a sweat!

Alabama has better players all the way through the roster. Their best receiver went out on the kickoff and was not even missed. Also consider he wasn't the best they had last year. It sucks but the Kentucky game is more disappointing. They don't have that kind of talent.

Reactions: Zues1 and malibuvol
I believe the biggest issue is the dline. No pass rush to of. A good line makes the rest of the defense look better. However Bama scored the same on us as they did that vaunted Jawga defense.

I believe the biggest issue is the dline. No pass rush to of. A good line makes the rest of the defense look better. However Bama scored the same on us as they did that vaunted Jawga defense.

Bama is the exception. That’s why I made the point, we looked like this all year except for Missouri. You would think a Pruitt coached defense could play better in all aspects of the game. But it’s not happening.

It’s usually a LB in man defense, in zone it depends

I thought Bama also played their best game of the year offensively against us. They had quite a few threaded needles and/or great catches when we had great coverage. Not sure how they get so "up" to play us still. It must be ingrained in their blood to just hate us.

For me it's the inconsistency and lack of production at the QB position. The UT offense hasn't been (a) sustaining drives, or (b) scoring points. Our rushing/passing offense is producing (I think) around 19 ppg. Defensively, we're giving up (again, I think) almost 28 ppg. That's not counting pick-6's. Depending on how you parse your stats, UT is anywhere from 9 to 12 ppg behind our opponents to date. Thus, we're 2-3, and probably lucky to not be 1-4. Ugly, but it is what it is.

I don't know what UT's "3 and out", or "non-scoring drive" percentage is, but when you only score 17 points on offense, it means you scored on 3 drives, and on the rest...you didn't. Those 3 and outs and non-scoring drives put pressure on the defense to keep the opponent from scoring, and when you're playing with a 9 to 12 ppg disadvantage, it means you're losing that battle of attrition / field position. It's really a matter of simple math when you step back and look at it: If your opponent is averaging 28 ppg, then you need to average 29 or more in order to tip the overall numbers in your favor.

Yes, we have issues on the DL...can't defend the slant...need to improve tackling...DB's get beat too often...etc. But that defense spends so much time on the field that they get their mail at the 30-yard line. Complimentary football requires the offense to help out the defense, and vice versa. Having an offense that struggles to sustain drives as consistently as this one does puts all of the weight on the backs of the defense, and well...then you give up 28 ppg.

The raw numbers suggest that UT might...might beat the likes of Vandy this year, with this team. Anybody out there like our chances against any of the other four? No, me either. Clearly, something must change if UT is to even have a chance to finish 5-5 this year.

I doubt if we can find 11 new starters on defense, but I do believe we can find 1 new starter on offense. And I'd really like to see what this team might be capable of if Maurer were given the opportunity to run the offense. Nothing against Shrout or Bailey, but I think Maurer has the edge over Shrout, and I think Bailey is probably still a good spring and fall camp away from being ready to run the UT offense. Maurer should have seen enough to have a grasp of the basic playbook by now. So roll with Maurer, and let's see if we can sustain more drives, and score more points.

JG is what he is. He's a 19 ppg game manager who throws a gorgeous fade and not much else well. He throws too hard, too high, and too late. He's about as dual-threat as I am, and he's also a turnover machine when things don't go well. In short, he's a 19 ppg QB. Not good enough for the SEC.

With JG at the helm, the O/U for UT is 3.5, and that might be generous. If you're okay with that, then pull up a chair.

If you're not, then pull JG, and start Maurer.

Go Vols.

We should have had 3 or 4 interceptions yesterday. You can’t give away gifts from the other team and expect to win.

I hate getting beat, but Bama has made every defense they have played look bad this year.

I didn’t expect to win the SEC title in years 3 or 4. What I did expect to see under Pruitt this year was an aggressive, disciplined, intelligent defense. We are none of those things. Our DBs play too far off the WR’s. We can’t cover the most basic of routes...the quick slant. No one knows where they are supposed to be pre-snap. Look at our Defense pre-snap and then watch Georgia. Their D line shifts in sync, and everyone behind them knows where to be. Our DBs are fighting over who should cover who. They look completely lost. Our D-line gets no pressure. The linebackers are aggressive, too aggressive! They bite on anything that resembles a play action pass. We also can’t wrap up, push anyone back in a pile, or contain the edge. And when we aren’t dropping interceptions, or missing tackles, we are getting penalized on 3rd down instead of getting off the field.

Let’s not pretend like this just started with Bama. Other than Missouri, our defense has looked awful. I expected more from Pruitt on this side of the ball.

The most disappointing thing to me is that TN coaching has not developed a plan in many years that allows the offense to score more points. With todays modern offenses with good QBs and great receivers, a good team can score on just about anyone, and score into the high 20s or 30s. Either of those types scores will beat TN 9 out of 10 times.

The most disappointing thing to me is that TN coaching has not developed a plan in many years that allows the offense to score more points. With todays modern offenses with good QBs and great receivers, a good team can score on just about anyone, and score into the high 20s or 30s. Either of those types scores will beat TN 9 out of 10 times.

The most disappointing thing is that I thought by year 3 we would have left programs like Mizzou, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Miss State in the dust and ascended comfortably into that "upper middle" area of the SEC with teams like Auburn, Florida, and Texas A&M. However now I'm genuinely worried that we will lose to Arkansas in 2 weeks.

VN Store

Back