The Memphis Postgame Report

Martin throwing players under the bus like Dooley did will only last so long. At some point it'd be nice to hear him take some ownership of slow starts and quit saying players need to play better and make shots.

OK Nostradamus, just who is he going to blame then? Himself because they can't make wide open shots? Maybe the talent on hand just isn't that good. Some of that is on him, but he's only had a couple of recruiting classes. The fact is this isn't that good of an offensive team. When your best player is going to miss the entire year then it's even worse. Don't expect it to get much better.

Martin throwing players under the bus like Dooley did will only last so long. At some point it'd be nice to hear him take some ownership of slow starts and quit saying players need to play better and make shots.

I agree to an extent, however (and I'm sure you won't agree with this)...it partially is that simple as making shots.

Mcbee has gotten WIDE open looks, if those shots go down the offense appears better now doesn't it. Yemi missed a WIDE open layup against Memphis on an offensive set, is that martins fault?

I dislike Pastner but he said something on TSR the other day...Said if players hit shots in your offense you're a genius, if they miss shots you're an idiot who can't coach O. Ie done the numbers a few times, but if skylar was shooting 40% and our free throws we're a bit better, we'd be a 70ppg team...how many would be complaining about the O then?

I agree to an extent, however (and I'm sure you won't agree with this)...it partially is that simple as making shots.

Mcbee has gotten WIDE open looks, if those shots go down the offense appears better now doesn't it. Yemi missed a WIDE open layup against Memphis on an offensive set, is that martins fault?

I dislike Pastner but he said something on TSR the other day...Said if players hit shots in your offense you're a genius, if they miss shots you're an idiot who can't coach O. Ie done the numbers a few times, but if skylar was shooting 40% and our free throws we're a bit better, we'd be a 70ppg team...how many would be complaining about the O then?

Richardson missed a breakaway dunk. The list goes on and on.

Maybe Martin needs to hold dunking practice.

If Buzz Peterson's players had just made more baskets he'd have been a great coach.

If Kevin O'Neill's players had just made more baskets he'd have been a great coach.

Broken record.
Memphis game was the highest number of possessions we've played all season.
We dug a hole playing slug and opened it up with 10 minutes left and our guys shot the doors off.
Our shooting averages go up playing faster and getting guys off the floor like McBee.
Now contrast that to the Va loss.
They are one of 80 teams in the country that play slower than we do.
They beat us at their game. wouldn't it have made sense to speed them up?

Broken record.
Memphis game was the highest number of possessions we've played all season.
We dug a hole playing slug and opened it up with 10 minutes left and our guys shot the doors off.
Our shooting averages go up playing faster and getting guys off the floor like McBee.
Now contrast that to the Va loss.
They are one of 80 teams in the country that play slower than we do.
They beat us at their game. wouldn't it have made sense to speed them up?

I agree. I'm curious to see what/if any changes are made Wednesday.

Even Wade Houston got to the finals of the SEC Tournament championship game.

How far did UT IE get? To the vomitorium.

If Wade Houston's players had just made more baskets he'd have been a great coach.

You're pathetic. Just admit you don't like Martin and were never going to give him a chance. He could make it to the Final Four, and you'd find a problem with it. He wasn't your pick and you have an agenda that you have tried to push from day 1.

He may not be the guy for the job in the end, but you haven't even given him a chance. Your agenda is more important to you than Tennessee winning games. Its one thing to criticize coaching decisions (no one is exempt from fair criticism), but you give the impression that you want Martin to fail just to be right.

Reactions: 2 people
You're pathetic. Just admit you don't like Martin and were never going to give him a chance. He could make it to the Final Four, and you'd find a problem with it. He wasn't your pick and you have an agenda that you have tried to push from day 1.

He may not be the guy for the job in the end, but you haven't even given him a chance. Your agenda is more important to you than Tennessee winning games. Its one thing to criticize coaching decisions (no one is exempt from fair criticism), but you give the impression that you want Martin to fail just to be right.

And people were actually starting to like this guy? I really believe he wants Martin to fail just so he can say I told you so smh.

And that's the most pathetic thing about a lot of fans. They're more concerned with their pathetic "message board cred" because they've hitched up their fail wagon and want to prove they are right rather than seeing a UT coach succeed and them having to eat some humble pie. To those I say get a damn life.

People are OK with Martin throwing players under the bus and using an excuse of losing because players aren't making baskets. I'm simple pointing out the obvious that any coach looks better when players make baskets.

If Martin were successful, or giving any solid evidence he could win big, I'd be behind him 100%. I've even posted that a best case scenario would be seeing the Vols in Memphis for the South regional.

Pathetic is continuing to make excuses for a coach that has no clue. We've gone from a regular in the tourney to needing an SEC run to make the tourney. And few people have the confidence that can happen.

And people were actually starting to like this guy? I really believe he wants Martin to fail just so he can say I told you so smh.

I'm not in the cuonzo love club, and I don't care if people like me or not. Honesty hurts and the cuonzo love club gets personally insulted when cuonzo's shortcomings are pointed out.

It's not about being right or wrong. Winning curses all ills and makes all the difference. Cuonzo has 18 games to make a statement.

People are OK with Martin throwing players under the bus and using an excuse of losing use players aren't making baskets. I'm simple pointing out the obvious that any coach looks better when players make baskets.

If Martin were successful, or giving any solid evidence he could win big, I'd be behind him 100%. I've even posted that a best case scenario would be seeing the Vols in Memphis for the South regional.

Pathetic is continuing to make excuses for a coach that has no clue. We've gone from a regular in the tourney to needing an SEC run to make the tourney. And few people have the confidence that can happen.

Well, I'm not making excuses for him. I just feel like less than 50 games into one's tenure is too early to draw the conclusion that they can't hack it, especially when that coach has a 27-19 record and a 2nd place finish in his only full season.

Coach K was 27-30 after two seasons at Duke. John Calipari was 27-32 after two seasons at UMASS. Tom Crean was 20-38 after two seasons at Marquette, and 16-46 after two seasons at Indiana. These are three of the most successful coaches in the country today, and they all three had lousy to average records in a similar time period to Martin's time at Tennessee. I'm sure they had fans bail out early on too. Hopefully, if Martin can take his lumps early and learn from them, he can do the same. If not, he will be replaced.

I'm not in the cuonzo love club, and I don't care if people like me or not. Honesty hurts and the cuonzo love club gets personally insulted when cuonzo's shortcomings are pointed out.

It's not about being right or wrong. Winning curses all ills and makes all the difference. Cuonzo has 18 games to make a statement.

You're a damn liar. You were wanting to fire him after 14 games last year and before he coached his first SEC game. That was his first year with one recruiting class that he had to recruit with a NCAA investigation hanging over him and a limited roster that Pearl left him and you were already quitting on him. You are the typical Debbie Downer fan that has to win and win now or fire the coach.

You are pathetic. UT doesn't need fans like you. You're an embarrassment to the university.

If what you're saying is that the jury is still out on Cuanzo, then I agree.

If what you're saying is that he has already failed or is in the process of failing, then you aren't being fair.

That's as much as I can argue with you because your avatar is distracting. I mean...................... dayum. Seriously. :)

People are OK with Martin throwing players under the bus and using an excuse of losing because players aren't making baskets. I'm simple pointing out the obvious that any coach looks better when players make baskets.

Every team needs to make a conference run to make the tourney.

VN Store

Back