The Meltdown That Is Happening At CatsPause

You think the Vols and LSU have legit shots at the NCAA tourney?

LSU, UT, and UK all have a good shot at making the final four.

But the NCAA Tourney, as I have always said, is random. It is about who the committee lines up to bolster tv ratings. This is why the best team doesn't always win it all.

LSU, UT, and UK all have a good shot at making the final four.

But the NCAA Tourney, as I have always said, is random. It is about who the committee lines up to bolster tv ratings. This is why the best team doesn't always win it all.
It's seemingly random once you get to about the Sweet 16. I know that each of those teams has aspirations, or even expectations, of going beyond that, but if you make it at least to the Sweet 16 and lose to a solid team at that point there really can't be much shame in that. It would be disappointing, but not entirely shocking. As much heat as Bill Self gets, perhaps some of it deserved, for his tournament performances, he does get to a point in the tournament that he "should" make it to most of the time. He's been at Kansas for 15 years and has made it at least to the Sweet 16 ten times (2 out of every 3 years). That's slightly more often than Roy Williams (9 out of 15 years) and just one less than Coach K (11 out of the last 15). There's something to be said for that, even if he also "should" have more national titles.

Teams like LSU, UT, and UK really shouldn't be losing in or before the Round of 32, although it happens all the time.

Teams like LSU, UT, and UK really shouldn't be losing in or before the Round of 32, although it happens all the time.

You're right, but mid-majors pull off those crazy first-round upsets all the time. 2-15 upsets are rare, and thanks to Maryland-Baltimore County last year, a 1-16 upset is extremely rare. But anything more than a 4-13, it's completely random.

You're right, but mid-majors pull off those crazy first-round upsets all the time. 2-15 upsets are rare, and thanks to Maryland-Baltimore County last year, a 1-16 upset is extremely rare. But anything more than a 4-13, it's completely random.
Yeah. I know I said those "shouldn't" happen, but since they do happen with regularity perhaps that isn't a correct statement. The vaunted 5-12 had (or perhaps still has) a streak of at least one happening a bunch of tournaments in a row.

Reactions: McCat

VN Store

Back