The Masters Tournament

No Tiger. No Phil. No Rory. No ratings.

Tiger didn't play last year so when comparing year over year he's not in the equation.

Phil actually made the cut this year.

So without Rory in contention, 30% fewer people tune in? Seems extreme.

I wonder if last year just drew more viewers to see if Speith would repeat

I don't think the Masters gives a crap about ratings.

I'd love to see their balance sheet. I'll never forget driving to the tournament about 10-15 years ago it hit me just how much money they threw around when I realized they had shutdown the satellite parking industry and literally bought an entire neighborhood and leveled it so they could offer free parking.

I don't think the Masters gives a crap about ratings.

No, but the PGA does. I know this isn't a PGA event but clearly they don't want to see ratings for arguably the golf world's favorite tournament of the year down 30% YoY.

Golf has the same problem that baseball does in that there is no shortage of young, marketable talent but it is simply not well-known by people who don't actively follow the sport. Baseball's struggles perhaps make more sense in that historically it has been more of a team-driven league than a individual/player-driven one (in contrast to the NBA and NFL), but golf is an individual sport.

If having Rory, Spieth, Jason Day, DJ, Rickie Fowler, or someone else go on a Tiger-like run of winning majors is what it takes to create a face of the sport, then golf is going to be waiting a very long time. There will never be another Tiger.

Reactions: 1 person
No, but the PGA does. I know this isn't a PGA event but clearly they don't want to see ratings for arguably the golf world's favorite tournament of the year down 30% YoY.

Golf has the same problem that baseball does in that there is no shortage of young, marketable talent but it is simply not well-known by people who don't actively follow the sport. Baseball's struggles perhaps make more sense in that historically it has been more of a team-driven league than a individual/player-driven one (in contrast to the NBA and NFL), but golf is an individual sport.

If having Rory, Spieth, Jason Day, DJ, Rickie Fowler, or someone else go on a Tiger-like run of winning majors is what it takes to create a face of the sport, then golf is going to be waiting a very long time. There will never be another Tiger.

they said that about Jack, and Arnie too.

someone will come along.

i do think the incessant need to tag someone "the next tiger" is a poor attempt to just generate interest. they did it with Rory and Jordan. and who knows, maybe one of them still goes on a big run in the next 10 years.

i actually think the sport is better today than it was when Tiger was dominating. of course, i follow it, and i like the competition, so i'm not the average fan. average fans need a NYY to attach to. i get it.

you could argue though that there are 2-4 of those kinds of guys out there right now with Jordan, Rory, DJ, and Jason Day. competitively, it's as healthy as its ever been.

they said that about Jack, and Arnie too.

someone will come along.

But you saw how long it took for that person to come along. They struggled to find a "face of the sport" after those two left. There were great players in the 80s and 90s, sure (Norman, Seve, Faldo, etc.) but the sport kind of wandered in the wilderness in terms of media buzz until Tiger came along. Those are names well-known to golf fans obviously but not really outside of that.

Tiger was a golfer who got non-golfers and people who otherwise wouldn't be fans of the sport to pay attention.

theres still no face to the sport

Tiger wasn't in it
DJ got hurt
Spieth put another one in the water
I realize that hyped superstars probably cause more people to tune in, but anyone who didn't enjoy this year's competition isn't a true fan of the game, in my opinion. Jakez4ut said it all above.

Reactions: 1 person
I realize that hyped superstars probably cause more people to tune in, but anyone who didn't enjoy this year's competition isn't a true fan of the game, in my opinion. Jakez4ut said it all above.

I agree. I know we have short attention spans, but I don't see how people didn't get involved in that.... Unless they just turned it off when Garcia started leaking oil on the back 9.

VN Store

Back