The Liberal Argument for a Higher Minimum Wage

Growing up my teachers and parents often would state that all work is honorable. "An honest days work for an honest days pay". There are now a lot of people putting in an honest days work but getting short changed on the honest pay. How honorable can one feel working full time yet needing subsistence to feed and clothe the family? If Wally and McD were on the brink of collapse perhaps one could buy into their argument. But they're not on the brink and are actually quite financially healthy. They are fighting minimum wage only out of greed . Sure, I agree they have the right to do it. But should they?

I don't agree that it would hurt startups and small businesses. IMO, and it is only an opinion, having millions of workers making a living wage would be a benefit to those small businesses .

If you want higher wages let the market place decide. McDs isnt going to rage wages, then they'll get crap employees. Problem with increasing minimum wages is that you'll have to increase people making a little more but has more responsibilities too.

The term trickle down economics is a stupid term. The fact is, the more money a business has, the more money it can employees, buy equipment, invest more in that business. When you take money away through taxes, regulations, it kills businesses. Just ask NY CITY

If you want higher wages let the market place decide. McDs isnt going to rage wages, then they'll get crap employees. Problem with increasing minimum wages is that you'll have to increase people making a little more but has more responsibilities too.

Case in point...Chik-Fil-A..excellent service with a smile. McDs is bottom of barrel and these people will have no job opportunities

McD's is going to kiosk most places, they are cutting back on the need for counter help.

Something posted in another thread jogged my memory. My family and I took a trip down to Florida. We stopped at a Taco Bell in Georgia. The Taco Bell had ordering kiosks. Imagine a super sized iPad that walks you through your order. you paid at it too. and then counter just handed you your food. The minimum wage hike conversation will only expedite what's coming eventually.

Something posted in another thread jogged my memory. My family and I took a trip down to Florida. We stopped at a Taco Bell in Georgia. The Taco Bell had ordering kiosks. Imagine a super sized iPad that walks you through your order. you paid at it too. and then counter just handed you your food. The minimum wage hike conversation will only expedite what's coming eventually.
As I posted in another thread, the food service industry is going to look completely different in 5-10 years. The group I’m involved with has been looking into the kiosk idea, although we’re probably a couple of years from going down that road. Some places are experimenting with robots that hand drinks out the window and/or robotic arms that flip meat on the grill.

So, in this higher minimum wage thing. Are we supposed to make sure the panhandlers get the new minimum wage when they come up to your car at a red light?

I’ve long said the day they turn the cash register around a lot of fast food people are done. If someone who is barely a functioning human can work that thing, I’ve got a good feeling I can do it. More mobile apps and ease or ordering will eliminate these jobs quickly.

Add in.places doing mobile and online orders and more business shifts away from a POS

Add in.places doing mobile and online orders and more business shifts away from a POS

I made a career of automating machines that are way more complicated than taking an order or flipping burgers. In my business union wages and benefits were the driving force. Now that the liberals want to jack up menial jobs with better pay and benefits, guess what? They have sealed their fate. I guarantee almost every operation in a hamburger joint could be automated for a few hundred thousand.

So when these jobs are eliminated, what becomes of the people currently filling them? Welfare? There needs to be a better option. I understand the pushback on a higher minimum wage, but it'll ultimately lead to more people on the government teat.

Well the Little Caesar's here seems to have it more for customer convenience than anything as they still have full staff. Manager on duty, counter person and cooks.

So when these jobs are eliminated, what becomes of the people currently filling them? Welfare? There needs to be a better option. I understand the pushback on a higher minimum wage, but it'll ultimately lead to more people on the government teat.
Which is what they want. Every where you look you see them pushing for dependence on the government.

Reactions: tennvols77
Reactions: TN-POSSUM

VN Store

Back