The Liberal Argument for a Higher Minimum Wage

Cause it doesn’t work when you get to higher math and we are getting slaughtered by other countries who actually teach real math.
A good percentage of our students compete with anyone on the world scale. We are brought down by the large numbers in underperforming schools

Thank goodness for Asian immigration.
I wish I still had the article I read but it shows we compete with anyone when you count a certain %. Where we fail is that our bottom is as bad as it gets

I wish I still had the article I read but it shows we compete with anyone when you count a certain %. Where we fail is that our bottom is as bad as it gets
I've never gotten worked up about where our students are by comparison to other countries. What we lose in competency we make up for with opportunity.

Oddly enough, I have raised two kids who excel at maths.

It was on a quiz and a test multiple times throughout the year so you are wrong again.
I'm not familiar with any standardized testing that had quizzes throughout the year. What testing do they use?

My kids school doesn't teach that way and their test scores are up there with any in the state. Wonder how they accomplish that

I'm not familiar with any standardized testing that had quizzes throughout the year. What testing do they use?

My kids school doesn't teach that way and their test scores are up there with any in the state. Wonder how they accomplish that

You don’t have quizzes????

Maybe that’s why ur grades are so high because you aren’t grading anything other than homework.

The video (and backazzwards instructions) is 2:20 long. A kid could've finished 15 or more division problems in that time. The lady did the problem and made coffee in that time. Nothing deceiving.

The two ways of showing them are, the way the lady did it on paper and the 5 second in your head version of 35 x 10 (add 0) 350 35 x 2 = 70 350 + 70 = 420
I have always been able to multiply any two 2 digit numbers in my head that way.....like 89 times 87 for example. I multiply 9 times 87, add a zero and then subtract 87. If it is 82 times 87, I multiply 8 times 87, add a zero, and then add 2 times 87.
My dad taught me the multiplication tables through 12X12 , and how to multiply in my head before I started to school at age 5.

I've never gotten worked up about where our students are by comparison to other countries. What we lose in competency we make up for with opportunity.

Oddly enough, I have raised two kids who excel at maths.
I was really good too. Only struggled when I had to show my work because I did most in my head. That was a long time ago though. Actually funded a lot of partying at UT by taking calc exams for people. Amazing what you can get away with in huge lecture classes...

You don’t have quizzes????

Maybe that’s why ur grades are so high because you aren’t grading anything other than homework.
Standardized tests don't have quizzes to my knowledge. You do it once a year and move on. This is the state level testing I'm taking about not class work

I was really good too. Only struggled when I had to show my work because I did most in my head. That was a long time ago though. Actually funded a lot of partying at UT by taking calc exams for people. Amazing what you can get away with in huge lecture classes...
Some kids just speak the language of math. Algebra and Geometry made a lot of sense to me. Calculus was way out of my depth.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Standardized tests don't have quizzes to my knowledge. You do it once a year and move on. This is the state level testing I'm taking about not class work

Every school in our county has multiple quizzes and test and projects. I am in TN and yes one of the wealthiest cities in TN. Our schools are considered top notch even though I think they suck.

You are in AZ if I remember.

We have quizzes here.

Every school in our county has multiple quizzes and test and projects. I am in TN and yes one of the wealthiest cities in TN. Our schools are considered top notch even though I think they suck.

We have quizzes here.
Not for the state level standardized tests. Looks like they may be called Tcap tests in TN?

Reactions: McDad

We have quizzes here.
PJ in floriday, i think

Tcap is end of year and has nothing to do with grades.

Are we even having the same conversation?

We have a whole year filled with quizzes, test, projects, homework that creates your grade. tcap shows where u are based nationally compared to others and has no impact on grade.

We don’t even get tcap results back till the following year normally.

Meanwhile, they can't count correct change back. No wonder.

I think this is what happens when you turn math over to mathematicians and educators rather than people who actually apply math. For most of us math is something we need in our "toolbox" to quickly and efficiently come up with an answer. It has nothing to do with the esoteric, theoretical BS as viewed by mathematicians. I always felt that a lot of engineers were being shortchanged at UT by being taught math by the math department rather than EEs who got a lot of math from the Electrical Engineering Dept. Of course, that was 50 years ago, so things have likely changed. Example, while taking a 4000 level Differential Equations course, I surrendered and visited the professor with pages of struggles to solve a problem that he worked in his head. I asked how the hell he did that ... Laplace Transforms. Why wasn't he teaching that? Well he did that once, it wasn't on the curriculum, and he was almost fired. I eventually learned Laplace Transforms in an engineering class.

You're right, this one tweet failed to sum up a whole school year of education. Why was it even addressing one specific problem?

Never understood the logic behind multiple guess questions.

Exactly. You either know how to do the work and can do the work or you can't. Life doesn't give you multiple options that you choose with a guess or a SWAG.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
Standardized tests not classroom testing
Tcap is end of year and has nothing to do with grades.

Are we even having the same conversation?
no because you continue to ignore the fact I said multiple times they aren't applicable on standardized tests. I've repeated it many times and you keep going on about grades, quizzes, projects, etc. You're discussing classwork not testing which was the point you quoted initially

Exactly. You either know how to do the work and can do the work or you can't. Life doesn't give you multiple options that you choose with a guess or a SWAG.
Of course it does. We make best guesses all the time based on the info we have. Sometimes it works and other times we rework until the solution fits. It's why I like my job since no 2 solutions are exactly the same

I have always been able to multiply any two 2 digit numbers in my head that way.....like 89 times 87 for example. I multiply 9 times 87, add a zero and then subtract 87. If it is 82 times 87, I multiply 8 times 87, add a zero, and then add 2 times 87.
My dad taught me the multiplication tables through 12X12 , and how to multiply in my head before I started to school at age 5.

My problem with that these days is remembering the first number long enough to add the second one. Sorta like "Now, why did I open the refrigerator?"

no because you continue to ignore the fact I said multiple times they aren't applicable on standardized tests. I've repeated it many times and you keep going on about grades, quizzes, projects, etc. You're discussing classwork not testing

You realize the standardized testing doesn’t mean crap at the end of the day until you get to the SAT?

So why are u focused on this aspect?

Thrn again just forget it....talking to you drives me nuts.

You realize the standardized testing doesn’t mean crap at the end of the day until you get to the SAT?

So why are u focused on this aspect?

Thrn again just forget it....talking to you drives me nuts.
Then why did you jump in the conversation that mentioned testing? I understand how school works. Seems you wanted to jump in on me so bad that you ignored the subject. Try reading the posts you choose to quote and this message board thing gets easier.

VN Store

Back