The Legend of Doug Atkins.

Of all the Tennessee players Peyton included I'm not sure anyone has reached the mythical and legendary status of Atkins. I have heard he is still living in the Knoxville area, and has not been doing well. Guys like him really made the NFL, and they didn't get paid much for their efforts or their pain. If someone like Doug were alive today they'd be a multimillionaire. I kinda wish TN would allow people to buy Atkins Jersey's (they won't let you make one) But I wish they would sell them, and give him some royalties. Many people walk by his poster in front of Neyland...and are just unaware of who he was.... Atkins is LEGEND...

Doug Atkins is a UT football deity if ever there was one. Just wanted to put a thread up with links and info on him.

Great video:
Top Ten Pass Rushers: Doug Atkins - NFL Videos

1a147cdee6e120474831fdd9ce0289d064ba9cbb.jpg

He died in 2015.

The dad of a friend of mine was a close friend of with Atkins and I’ll never forget putting on his size 19 championship ring from the Bears back in the day. It was enormous. Guy was a legend.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I just watched a documentary about him. They said he wore a tux one time to receive an NFL award. It had to be custom made. The size? 56 Long. :)
First time I met him was around 1973...He came into the cafe where we met a 7am everyday and he had to duck coming through the cafe door and sat down with us...He sat next to me and I was in awh with his size...The coffee cup in his hand looked like a thimble and his biceps where so huge he couldn't bend his arm all the way. Biggest human I'd ever seen and I have also talked to Ed Too Tall Jones here at the Golf course several times. Doug was just a mountain.

Here’s a little story about the mythical Doug Atkins. My dad was a local pastor here in Knoxville in the early 90’s. Mr.Atkins started visiting regularly. I was in middle school at the time. He would pass out signed bears and Tennessee cards from himself every Sunday. I still have the ones he gave me. One Sunday night one of my friends took his card and told him he didn’t know who he was and Doug literally threw him out the decorated church window. Everyone gasped but didn’t dare say anything to him. Just kidding obviously. He was a kind hearted man and gave all the kids cards weekly. It’s crazy the man I knew and the stories I hear don’t match up.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
And that era of players played on fields a hog wouldn't venture on, and never whined about it. They were MEN, not pampered brats who wanted to be served filet mignon between quarters, and get manicures during halftime.

VN Store

Back