The latest on Fulkerson

The message from that is do not come to UT. The school and staff does not back its players.
I guess if you’re looking for a reason not to come to Tennessee, then you’re possibly correct. I’ll admit that Danny White has done very little to endear himself to Tennessee fans, and this was an opportunity to reverse that trend, but I don’t really fault Rick Barnes for staying quiet (publicly). And to be fair, we don’t know what has been said or done behind closed doors.

Reactions: Ttucke11
At the risk of sounding like a shill for Barnes, he’s kind of in a tough spot. He has a new boss who isn’t speaking out against the incident...a boss, mind you, whose brother is the head coach of the team and player in question, and has yet to speak out or take any sort of action, himself.

From the Florida side, the AD and Mike White should take action. From the SEC side, the commissioner should speak up if UF admins refuse to take action. From the Tennessee side, Danny White should speak out if no one else will stand up and do what is right. Barnes is like 5th in line to raise his voice.

I would be surprised if Barnes has any fear whatsoever in this situation. Barnes needs to do whatever he thinks is right (and maybe he is) and not be concerned about either of the Whites. No way our AD is going to mess with Barnes IMO, unless he wants a deafening outcry from VN.

And I’m assuming Omar Payne is suiting up for the Gators? The SEC commissioner should be ashamed. He jumped all over Jajuan Jennings with his incident and suspended him for the first half of the bowl game but has stayed silent regarding this almost “ criminal” incident. Barnes and Danny White staying silent and not demanding some sort of action is disturbing as well

So far you are bearing out BACK end of the ole adage about when you ASSuME. The rest of us appear to be clean.

On the other hand karma seems to have squared up with FL in their game with the elbow thing.

Payne hasn’t played all game and UF just lost a player to injury, so I think it’s safe to say Mike White had a conversation with someone behind the scenes and self-imposed a suspension. It might not be the bloodbath our fans wanted in the public eye, but it’s the same result. So, maybe people can stop throwing Barnes and DW under the bus.

So far you are bearing out BACK end of the ole adage about when you ASSuME. The rest of us appear to be clean.

On the other hand karma seems to have squared up with FL in their game with the elbow thing.
Payne is sitting out 5is game per coach’s decision

Reactions: txbo
I would be surprised if Barnes has any fear whatsoever in this situation. Barnes needs to do whatever he thinks is right (and maybe he is) and not be concerned about either of the Whites. No way our AD is going to mess with Barnes IMO, unless he wants a deafening outcry from VN.
I think you may underestimate DW’s vanity and desire for control/power.

Reactions: Flovol
I think you may underestimate DW’s vanity and desire for control/power.

I may be. Serious question: do you think DW would have the stomach and political clout to challenge Barnes? If the answer is yes, then I have greatly underestimated DW's power.

I may be. Serious question: do you think DW would have the stomach and political clout to challenge Barnes? If the answer is yes, then I have greatly underestimated DW's power.
Wouldn't it be bad if Barnes's boss didn't have those things?

Wouldn't it be bad if Barnes's boss didn't have those things?

Yeah, I'm not sure where all this dislike for DW came from. He was an incredibly successful AD at UCF. Arguably, the best in the country. Yet, our fans have questioned him from the moment he arrived. I get it. The football hire was a disappointment, but I'm not sure Jesus himself could have convinced a proven football coach to take this job.

Yeah, I'm not sure where all this dislike for DW came from. He was an incredibly successful AD at UCF. Arguably, the best in the country. Yet, our fans have questioned him from the moment he arrived. I get it. The football hire was a disappointment, but I'm not sure Jesus himself could have convinced a proven football coach to take this job.

The football program is pretty much dead anyway.

He passive-aggressively challenged the media in his introductory press conference and then flat out chastised them in Heupel’s. I doubt he’d publicly challenge Barnes because that reflects poorly on him, but I have no doubt that he would potentially take issue with Barnes going around him in the media to call out any or all of his conference commissioner, his brother, or UF’s AD. He also has the support of Plowman and Boyd, none of whom held their current positions when Barnes was hired. The point being, Barnes hasn’t won enough at Tennessee to trump those levels of authority if he starts intentionally ruffling the feathers of his boss.

Reactions: VOLED
It has mostly to do with his public relations than his decision-making as it pertains to the athletic department.

He passive-aggressively challenged the media in his introductory press conference and then flat out chastised them in Heupel’s. I doubt he’d publicly challenge Barnes because that reflects poorly on him, but I have no doubt that he would potentially take issue with Barnes going around him in the media to call out any or all of his conference commissioner, his brother, or UF’s AD. He also has the support of Plowman and Boyd, none of whom held their current positions when Barnes was hired. The point being, Barnes hasn’t won enough at Tennessee to trump those levels of authority if he starts intentionally ruffling the feathers of his boss.

The Knoxville media is some of the absolute worst in the SEC markets. I have no problem with DW challenging them. Wes Rucker, Jimmy Hyams, Will West, etc.

The Knoxville media is some of the absolute worst in the SEC markets. I have no problem with DW challenging them. Wes Rucker, Jimmy Hyams, Will West, etc.
Come on...He challenged them for doing their job, which is to beat the bushes for information and report the news.

Do you agree or disagree that the Knoxville media is not good? That's my only point.
I think the majority of the Knoxville media is safe and bland. My point is, like them or not, Danny White giving them the business for doing their job is stupid. Whether I like them or not is immaterial.

I think the majority of the Knoxville media is safe and bland. My point is, like them or not, Danny White giving them the business for doing their job is stupid. Whether I like them or not is immaterial.

Fair enough. Yeah, they were doing their job, but I'm just not a fan of the Knoxville media and wouldn't mind if they were forced to shake things up a bit.

It's stupid of him, but I find it hard to care about that all that much
Yeah, I don’t really care about it, either. I just think it’s a terrible way to start your career in the big time. No one is impressed with his faux-Wyatt Earp demeanor. Just make good hires, stand up for your school and athletes, and raise money. Aside from that, the only one who cares about the Danny White show is Danny White.

Reactions: Vol49er
Yeah, I don’t really care about it, either. I just think it’s a terrible way to start your career in the big time. No one is impressed with his faux-Wyatt Earp demeanor. Just make good hires, stand up for your school and athletes, and raise money. Aside from that, the only one who cares about the Danny White show is Danny White.
Well, this Wyatt Earp Wikipedia page looks like its gonna be a fun read

Reactions: cncchris33

I don't mean this in a passive aggressive manner, it's just hard to put tone into text, but based on how you phrased that paragraph it does feel like you care at least a little lol

I don't mean this in a passive aggressive manner, it's just hard to put tone into text, but based on how you phrased that paragraph it does feel like you care at least a little lol
To be clear, I care more about how arrogant he comes across than I do with him actually telling the media how to do their job. That is just an example of his arrogance. The guy was born on third base and acts like he hit a triple in front of the camera.

Reactions: Flovol
The message from that is do not come to UT. The school and staff does not back its players.
How do you know that Danny White and Rick Barnes haven’t petitioned the SEC and Florida in private? There is no need to do it in public. I fault Florida and the SEC for inaction on this situation. One or the other should have suspended Payne.

Reactions: feathersax
To be clear, I care more about how arrogant he comes across than I do with him actually telling the media how to do their job. That is just an example of his arrogance. The guy was born on third base and acts like he hit a triple in front of the camera.
You are indeed a strange dude. Have a Zwieback.

VN Store

Back