The Krystal may be a thing of the past

I'm about as southern as they come (born and raised in Chattanooga and have never left, as a matter of fact), but I also call a spade and spade.

The thing about Krystal is that they've been in financial trouble for a very long time, dating back to the late 90s. I believe their first bankruptcy filing was in 1997. This is par for the course with them. The food is pretty good, but I've never found the restaurants to be overly hospitable or clean (those are the other 2 components of their claim to fame).
When White Castle started to push into the Nashville market they located in some scary areas. That had an effect on the kind of people they were able to hire, which affected friendliness and service. Even though times have changed, neighborhoods have gentrified, and a lot of Krystal's have closed, I still think of White Castle as where you go to get robbed at gunpoint while you're in the drive thru.

Reactions: hog88 and Go aeiou
I went to a White Castle in Clarksville, Tennessee after not having one of their burgers in over 10 years. It took them over 20 minutes to fill my order of two cheeseburgers and fries. Disappointing

Reactions: MAD
In the eighties, there was a food caravan (towed trailer) parked in a gravel lot in Lavonia, GA. They hand-dipped 1/4lb knockwursts in seasoned cornmeal batter and fried 'em up to order. Other corn dogs pale in comparison. We would hit 'em up for corn dogs every fishing trip to Hartwell and/or Keowee.

Morristown still has two Krystal locations. Loved them as a kid. Haven’t had one in over 5 years, though I crave them every once in a while.

VN Store

Back