The Hunting Thread

I've used a .243 a few times but mostly a .270 or 7mm

Yes but my 7mm kicks harder - I guess because it is smaller. I have some 250 grain rounds for it. It is a beautiful gun.

first deer I ever shot was with a 7mm with no scope. Still one of my favorite guns

Anybody hunt with a weird caliber rifle? By weird, I mean not that common. I've got a .358 and a 250/300 savage.

I've got a .340 Weatherby. It's a paradoxial caliber for me in that if I had to grab ONE rifle to go anywhere and hunt anything (other than heavy African dangerous game) this would be the guy BUT for most specific chores my 30-30/7mmMag/.308 are plenty for the job with less pomp and circumstance.

Still a cool rifle and caliber.

Good night of coon hunting, treed a big mama coon and a smaller kitten coon.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Had a few talking to me opening morning but not since then. Gettin frustrated.

At this point it has been kinda like waterfowl season. I see them but they are hundreds of yards away and will not respond to anything we try.

Did have a friend kill a bearded hen in west TN.

Last sunday morning went with a buddy to just see if any were around (south Knox County). We walked almost right under a roosting gobbler. He'd gobble, then one to our left would gobble then one down the hill would gobble. Of course, we didn't have a gun. SOOoooooo, on Thursday morning went back loaded and ready to rock. Crickets. Silence. Nothing. Typical.

Got one this morning.

10 and a half inch beard and right at an inch spurs

Very nice!

Was it not in the 30's where you are this morning? I went out and had ice on my truck and didn't hear the first gobble.

Was sneaking up a creek this afternoon to a open field where a tom and couple hens were feeding but either the hen saw me or the deer that ran out in the field ran them off.

Very nice!

Was it not in the 30's where you are this morning? I went out and had ice on my truck and didn't hear the first gobble.

Was sneaking up a creek this afternoon to a open field where a tom and couple hens were feeding but either the hen saw me or the deer that ran out in the field ran them off.

It was 39 degrees this morning and they gobbled their heads off.

I was shocked they did as much as they did.

They flew off of roost, he gobbled one time and strutted 15 yards in front of me. I was home by 7:20 this morning.

It was 39 degrees this morning and they gobbled their heads off.

I was shocked they did as much as they did.

They flew off of roost, he gobbled one time and strutted 15 yards in front of me. I was home by 7:20 this morning.

Now that is how turkey hunting is suppose to be!

I've worked my ass off for that turkey though.

I've spent the first 3 weeks chasing him and I finally got him.

I hear ya. Turkey hunting can be more work than any other hunting IMO. But that is also why I love it.

We hunted a bird for 3 years hard. He would never come off the side of a ridge and always gobbled in the same spot. He always busted us working our way to him no matter what way we came toward him. Finally the 4th year I was able to get him with a little crawling, different strategy and luck.

VN Store

Back