The Home Repair (inside/out) Help/Suggestion Thread

I don't do too much with grading, so not sure on the what going into it, but I would stick to dirt rather than gravel. you want grass there too.

You will need to be careful adding too much soil against your house for 2 reasons. 1. if the new height gets to close to your siding you can start damaging that, which could also allow any water to go over your concrete wall. assuming the concrete stops at the siding. 2. even if you build up the dirt, that crack remains and more dirt increases the amount of water stored (the dirt will act like a sponge). so the water trying to get away will still find that crack. if you get rid of the ponding it shouldn't be much of an issue, but if you get several days of good rain you will still see water seep in that crack.

and beyond creating a slope you still need a new low point and imo its better to remove dirt than try and build it artificially. you want to give the water a place it can other than towards your house.

I would still look at fixing that crack somehow, and mostly from the outside. if its a solid concrete wall you can probably get it patched/patch it yourself. there should be some self repair kits out there. You could try sealing it with new concrete, but often that doesn't bond too well, so you probably need an epoxy (flexible) sealant. even if you don't fix the grading sealing the crack should cut down a lot on the water you see. the reason to seal from the outside is to keep any water from getting into the wall. where if you patched the inside, you wouldn't see water coming out, but the concrete around would still be absorbing the water that got in from outside. where a seal from outside keeps the water out.

all jmo.

I plan to put some hydraulic Crete in tomorrow.

The other issue is your carport has a roof pitch taking water right towards your house. Get rid of it NOW. In heavy rains this is focusing water right at your foundation.
Two your drain pipe likely isn’t getting the roof run off far enough from house since it’s a flat lot. Consider adding a flexible pipe out about 10 feet.

Weird thing is is that I don't really have much run off on it. I failed to mention I put a gutter o. That side of the carport

Last edited:
Where are you located?
I had a similar issue and had a guy come in and regradsd my entire and back yards. Took out several tons of dirt and put in swells to catch and direct water away from house. Took care of the issue. Where I use to have several inches of standing water it’s now dry even after heavy rain.

This is what you need to do. It is the easiest way to do it correctly. You could wait until September so that you can sow grass seed that will not be killed by our hot dry summer.
Is your house in a slab or crawl space or basement? If crawl space or basement it is even more important to do the job correctly around your house.
I have built about 25 houses. The most serious problems are caused by water. There are many communities where your problem is addressed in the building code.

Attachments

• V2_RB101-143 (1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Can anyone recommend a solid roofing company in the West Knoxville Area? Noticed some discoloration on my soffit yesterday on my porch. Took a piece off, climbed up on a ladder to take a peak and noticed I have been getting quite a bit of water. Long enough to where the wood is black in a small section. fml.

Can anyone recommend a solid roofing company in the West Knoxville Area? Noticed some discoloration on my soffit yesterday on my porch. Took a piece off, climbed up on a ladder to take a peak and noticed I have been getting quite a bit of water. Long enough to where the wood is black in a small section. fml.

Keith at Sensible Roofing is a good guy. Big Vol fan as well. Ask him if he still has the hilarious voice messages from Johnny Majors when they did some work for him a few years ago.

VN Store

Back