The "Heartbreak" Postgame Report

I wonder if it was like an Admiral move in the Iowa game or keep him from making a stupid foul like that 4th one, twenty feet from the basket ?

Man that was such a dumbass play by Grant.

And honestly, I’d rather go down with the ship and have Grant in the game to start. If he fouls out he fouls out it’s the tournament.

Man that was such a dumbass play by Grant.

And honestly, I’d rather go down with the ship and have Grant in the game to start. If he fouls out he fouls it’s the tournament.
U have to trust him even if u only get 2 offensive possesions with Grant, u are going to get 2 good shots (maybe even a kick out open 3) or free throws. U can get away with sitting Admiral for a couple of minutes in OT, but Grant is a different animal. The way he set the tone against Iowa at the start of OT last game, was what I expected in this game whether it worked or not. The odds would have been better for a win or at least a better start to OT

Last edited:
Regular season title is meaningless. This team won games but didn’t accomplish anything. Just utter disappointment all around.
Amazing the comments like this that run rampant on this site. These are the fans that embarass me. AM I happy not winning, hell no. Show a little class or maybe you're just a converted UK fan.

I had to work and did not get to watch first half live. Second half was pure Vols bb gold and certainly the best game of the tourney so far. Of course disappointed in OT result. Cline kid could not miss and Vols were uncharacteristically meh from the FT line.

So proud right now to be a Vol.

Last edited:
Regular season title is meaningless. This team won games but didn’t accomplish anything. Just utter disappointment all around.

They’re a team of overachieving 3 stars, give them some credit. If you draw a football analogy, this is like beating Florida in the regular season and losing your bowl game. Move on

Reactions: feathersax
I love the VOLS, and I’m grateful for a Sweet 16 appearance (it should have been our second straight, but that’s another matter). However, the one thing that will go down with this team is that they don’t win when it really matters. Beating a #1 team earlier in the year is great, but when hardware is on the line - or a trip to the Elite 8 - they just didn’t have what it takes to get the job done. Everything you pointed out above supports that conclusion. Make your free throws. Defend the perimeter. Don’t fall behind 18 points in the first half to a team that’s good but not better than our guys. There always seemed to be something missing from the Vols’ mental composition this season. It was evident in the loss to Auburn at the end of the season and in the SEC Tournament (and tonight).

Whatever that “it” is that separates clutch teams from the also-rans, we didn’t have it. Yes, a toss-up call at the end (which, of course, goes against us) made a difference, but, dang . . . make your free throws and none of that matters. We were lucky to get by Iowa in the second round because of the same type of stuff.

All that said, it was a fun ride this season. I’m hoping for bigger things in the future. Just wish that this group would have accomplished what they had the potential to do. I love Schofield and the rest of the seniors. Will miss them.

Big shots from both teams down the stretch. Hate that the deciding factor was a tough call, and I'm starting to change my mind about it. Definitely more leg than anything. But UT still had a chance in overtime but couldn't get it going.

Sad to end the season like that. I really hope everyone who can come back decides to stay. Imagine if Grant three-peats as SEC POY.

Reactions: ReadCT
Big shots from both teams down the stretch. Hate that the deciding factor was a tough call, and I'm starting to change my mind about it. Definitely more leg than anything. But UT still had a chance in overtime but couldn't get it going.

Sad to end the season like that. I really hope everyone who can come back decides to stay. Imagine if Grant three-peats as SEC POY.
If we hit our free throws we win. Bad calls were made but still, just make free throws smh

Reactions: feathersax

None of us know how to feel about next year. Even if we return everyone except KA and Schofield we have unknowns. No clue how DJ Burns will play, no clue about Josiah James.

The loss hurt. I do feel like there are a lot of things we could say what-if or play the blame game, but when you dont hit free throws, you're not gonna win close games. I don't remember a team ever scoring this many points on Tennessee. I really thought our defense was better than that. I would rather us play 50-55 point games and have great defense then to have 90 point games and let a team drain threes like it's practice.

I love Turner's heart and try. He's probably my favorite player on the team. He reminds me a lot of another great Vol defender that's getting paid in the NBA now.

1. There's going to be a lot of points in this. There's going to be a lot of talk in this thread and whatever. But there's one simple fact: You cannot expect to win a tournament game shooting 14-28 from the FT. And Purdue got lucky going 16-33. If Tennessee hits 22-28 like they should have we would be celebrating our second Elite Eight. And that's the toughest thing because free throws is something you completely control. Unbelievable.

2. My thoughts on the officiating after I calmed down. That wasn't 5 seconds and didn't look like the ball hit Edwards after the initial defense. I have no clue if he stepped out. That's such a bang bang play and wouldn't get overturned. It was a bad call on the foul. Contact was made yes and he was in the air, but the only reason contact was made is because he kicked his leg out. However, in that situation, with Edwards fading away and to his right, you can't be that close to him and jump. It was incredibly tough. Seems like it was 50/50 according to what I've seen by non UT fans on if that's a four or not.

3. Thought the perimeter defense was better in the second half. Not great in the first. Purdue hit some shots, but UT struggled to defend ball screens all game. Cline hit some ridiculous shots and Turner did a hell of a job on Edwards, but Tennessee really had some weak moments in the first half guarding. Purdue really put Alexander in a bind all game slipping screens. I hate switching but UT seemed to do better switching. Honestly with Cline probably didn't matter tonight.

4. If you have told me Tennessee would only give up 11 offensive rebounds, hit 12 3's, and only have 7 turnovers...I would have been 95% confident in the win. Goddamit. Just too many 3 pointers given up and a lack of offense in the first half. Too many scoring droughts, which has been an issue all season.

5. Lamonte Turner has the heart of the lion man. I freaking love that kid. He guarded Edwards with everything in his fiber, his legs gave out, he made all the big plays to get the comeback. That kid has some large brass balls and he is incredible. Lamonte, I will remember a lot from this game but I will not forget how ****ing hard you played tonight sir.

6. I don't know what happened since the Kentucky win at home, but Jordan Bone just wasn't himself again. Never controlled the pace of the game, was hesitant. Got his shot blocked a few times. Never made a true impact. I don't know what it is was but he never looked comfortable tonight.

7. Player of the game: Lamonte Turner. See point #5. Again, unbelievable effort from him today. The state of Tennessee should be proud of him.

8. My only Barnes complaint: I thought Bone should have guarded Cline late instead of Bowden. Bone is fantastic off the ball and we saw Bone shut Herro down three times this year. Not even a criticism on Bowden, but he just could not fight through those screens today. Bone is so quick he can avoid them and get in the face of shooters. I would have tried that, just to do something different.

9. Admiral Schofield: What you did for this program will never be forgotten. A key part of an SEC title. Winning record against Kentucky. Basically the de facto captain of the last two years (winning 57 games in those two years). I don't know if I can adequately describe what you mean to this program and what you have done for Tennessee Athletics. You are a true joy. And will become a fantastic representative of the University of Tennessee in the coming years. And to Kyle Alexander, you went from unplayable but had to play to one of the best rim protectors in program history. I was so impressed by how much you improved in these last three years. Both you and Admiral are incredible young athletes that will represent UT well into the future. It's truly a damn shame your careers had to end with this kind of loss. And you have nothing to be ashamed of in your careers. Congrats to both of you.

10. It's extremely difficult to try and put into words this season. I HATE HATE HATE just flat out saying it was disappointing. It's almost unfair but a preseason top ten team not making the Elite Eight/Final Four and not winning an SEC Title is tough. Winning 31 games and being #1 for a month was a great accomplishment. And that shouldn't be taken away. But at some point, this program (not even Rick Barnes or these guys currently on the team) has to break this glass ceiling. The program is now 1-7 in Sweet Sixteen games. Still hasn't made a Final Four. Still hasn't won an SEC tournament title in 40 years. At some point, I really hope Tennessee can take the next step up as a program. This year was a really good run for the program and Barnes is starting to get top-notch talent. He has reestablished Tennessee as a top 25 program and that was desperately needed after the Bruce Pearl debacle. If Grant comes back, 6/8 top players come back from last year and they add a five star in Josiah James. It could be another really fun Tennessee team. But tonight, all I feel is nothing but disappointment losing in OT like this. What a tough break.

Go Vols.

Great posts all year zjc. Thanks for your contributions. You're always spot on.

Well said, man. This one hurts and probably will for a long, long time. No other way to put it really. It will be right up there with the loss to OSU after being up 20. The loss to Michigan State to keep us from our 1st Final 4. And the loss to Michigan with the Stokes charge.

Boy am I gonna miss Admiral. Not sure I'll ever change my avatar. Never thought I'd come to love a player as much as Lofton, but Scho has to be up there and ironically, they both wore the #5.
Same here man about Admiral. Love that guy, and a big part of my hurt for this game is that it’s his last at UT. 15 wins as a freshman, 31 as a senior. That’s building a program. But he’ll do great at whatever he does.

They don’t even need to shoot that well from the free throw line. They just had to hit one (!!!) more in regulation!! Or not have that bogus “in the cylinder” call go against them

1. There's going to be a lot of points in this. There's going to be a lot of talk in this thread and whatever. But there's one simple fact: You cannot expect to win a tournament game shooting 14-28 from the FT. And Purdue got lucky going 16-33. If Tennessee hits 22-28 like they should have we would be celebrating our second Elite Eight. And that's the toughest thing because free throws is something you completely control. Unbelievable.

2. My thoughts on the officiating after I calmed down. That wasn't 5 seconds and didn't look like the ball hit Edwards after the initial defense. I have no clue if he stepped out. That's such a bang bang play and wouldn't get overturned. It was a bad call on the foul. Contact was made yes and he was in the air, but the only reason contact was made is because he kicked his leg out. However, in that situation, with Edwards fading away and to his right, you can't be that close to him and jump. It was incredibly tough. Seems like it was 50/50 according to what I've seen by non UT fans on if that's a four or not.

3. Thought the perimeter defense was better in the second half. Not great in the first. Purdue hit some shots, but UT struggled to defend ball screens all game. Cline hit some ridiculous shots and Turner did a hell of a job on Edwards, but Tennessee really had some weak moments in the first half guarding. Purdue really put Alexander in a bind all game slipping screens. I hate switching but UT seemed to do better switching. Honestly with Cline probably didn't matter tonight.

4. If you have told me Tennessee would only give up 11 offensive rebounds, hit 12 3's, and only have 7 turnovers...I would have been 95% confident in the win. Goddamit. Just too many 3 pointers given up and a lack of offense in the first half. Too many scoring droughts, which has been an issue all season.

5. Lamonte Turner has the heart of the lion man. I freaking love that kid. He guarded Edwards with everything in his fiber, his legs gave out, he made all the big plays to get the comeback. That kid has some large brass balls and he is incredible. Lamonte, I will remember a lot from this game but I will not forget how ****ing hard you played tonight sir.

6. I don't know what happened since the Kentucky win at home, but Jordan Bone just wasn't himself again. Never controlled the pace of the game, was hesitant. Got his shot blocked a few times. Never made a true impact. I don't know what it is was but he never looked comfortable tonight.

7. Player of the game: Lamonte Turner. See point #5. Again, unbelievable effort from him today. The state of Tennessee should be proud of him.

8. My only Barnes complaint: I thought Bone should have guarded Cline late instead of Bowden. Bone is fantastic off the ball and we saw Bone shut Herro down three times this year. Not even a criticism on Bowden, but he just could not fight through those screens today. Bone is so quick he can avoid them and get in the face of shooters. I would have tried that, just to do something different.

9. Admiral Schofield: What you did for this program will never be forgotten. A key part of an SEC title. Winning record against Kentucky. Basically the de facto captain of the last two years (winning 57 games in those two years). I don't know if I can adequately describe what you mean to this program and what you have done for Tennessee Athletics. You are a true joy. And will become a fantastic representative of the University of Tennessee in the coming years. And to Kyle Alexander, you went from unplayable but had to play to one of the best rim protectors in program history. I was so impressed by how much you improved in these last three years. Both you and Admiral are incredible young athletes that will represent UT well into the future. It's truly a damn shame your careers had to end with this kind of loss. And you have nothing to be ashamed of in your careers. Congrats to both of you.

10. It's extremely difficult to try and put into words this season. I HATE HATE HATE just flat out saying it was disappointing. It's almost unfair but a preseason top ten team not making the Elite Eight/Final Four and not winning an SEC Title is tough. Winning 31 games and being #1 for a month was a great accomplishment. And that shouldn't be taken away. But at some point, this program (not even Rick Barnes or these guys currently on the team) has to break this glass ceiling. The program is now 1-7 in Sweet Sixteen games. Still hasn't made a Final Four. Still hasn't won an SEC tournament title in 40 years. At some point, I really hope Tennessee can take the next step up as a program. This year was a really good run for the program and Barnes is starting to get top-notch talent. He has reestablished Tennessee as a top 25 program and that was desperately needed after the Bruce Pearl debacle. If Grant comes back, 6/8 top players come back from last year and they add a five star in Josiah James. It could be another really fun Tennessee team. But tonight, all I feel is nothing but disappointment losing in OT like this. What a tough break.

Go Vols.

Excellent write up!

As far as #10, I can't shake the feeling that this team disappointed. Maybe I got greedy, but they had so much potential and had the ability to get to the final 4. Something changed about 15 games or so ago and we never consistently recovered.

#6 Not sure what happened with Bone but he struggled in several games at the end of the year. He started on fire last night, but soon fizzed out and was not even noticeable.

#8 Nobody on earth was going to stop Cline last night.

Character of this team is exceptional - they are the type of young men that anyone would be proud of.

Reactions: buryMEinORANGE
Great write up. I think what hurts the most for me about this game is losing a close game with poor officiating. Yes Purdue played out of their minds from beyond the arc, yes we played a sloppy first half, but man... the hands to Schofield's face from their big guy, the push offs, the non contact foul calls against our guys, no fouls against Purdue on 4 and 5 offensive rebounds while they're draped around our guys... just horrendous officiating.

All of that said, you can't win shooting FTs like we did, and Cline was just unstoppable last night.

I really have to agree. Do u think an Elite 8 would have made the season more of a success ? I think it would have been huge in this team's final perception of UT greatness and if they made the Final 4, despite the lack of championships, would be monumental, of course. But, nope, we let it slip away. Man, this one hurts like the Cuonzo Michigan game, Pearl OSU game and Green's UNC game. U think I would get used to it. I also remember those 2 DeVoe and Ellis teams that lost to Virginia and Ralph Sampson

I think the elite 8 would have been "potential fulfilled". That's really all I considered this roster capable of.

Reactions: VOLED
IMHO, Purdue was the ultimate test of the tourney for the Vols. Bad matchup: they kill it from three and we do not defend the three so well.

Had the Vols winning it all in my bracket. But told all my friends that the game of the tourney was Purdue.

very simply put, the foul shooting cost us the game. I know that is oversimplifying it, but it is what it is.
They were slightly worse than us at the line. Foul shots wouldn't go for anybody in last night. We were 14-28. They were 16-33. So, they missed 17, and we missed 14.

I've heard a lot of second guessing of what Barnes drew up for the final 1.7 seconds of regulation. At the time I thought WTH, 2 passes? But maybe he was looking for a makeup foul to be called. A Laettner like shot is one in a thousand. But after the refs had the brassy ones to call the foul on Turner, wouldn't they be just as likely to call a foul on Purdue in a late scramble? Plus look at how Turner duped Cline into picking up his 5th in OT. The last sequence was set up to have 3 passes in the last 1.7. Had Purdue not tipped the first one then TN would have had a much better chance with the final side out play.

Kline was unreal for Purdue in hitting 7 of 10 threes and 50 percent free throw shooting cost us the ball game.
Cline will never have another 70% 3 pointer night. Its unreal we had him on his one superstar night. Although I saw video that clearly showed one of this three pointer his whole body was inside the point area. Here is a related issue for thought.
I looked at the foul shots total. In the UT/Purdue game there was a total of 61 foul shots attempted. In the immediate game after VA/OR a total of 13 foul shot attempts. Is that not a very large discrepancy in how the two different games were called or the two later teams just do foul? I found the difference very large. Any thought.

Cline will never have another 70% 3 pointer night. Its unreal we had him on his one superstar night. Although I saw video that clearly showed one of this three pointer his whole body was inside the point area. Here is a related issue for thought.
I looked at the foul shots total. In the UT/Purdue game there was a total of 61 foul shots attempted. In the immediate game after VA/OR a total of 13 foul shot attempts. Is that not a very large discrepancy in how the two different games were called or the two later teams just do foul? I found the difference very large. Any thought.
I was at both games, and with about 17 seconds left, I looked at the scoreboard and remarked to a Virginia fan in the next seat that Virginia was 1 for 1 from the foul line, and Oregon was 3 for 4. At that point, there had been only 5 foul shots. The last 8 were desperation fouls by Oregon. There were plenty of fouls not called in the second game that would have been in the first. Different crew.

Reactions: utvolkyle

VN Store

Back