The Hardest Thing to Do In Sports

salutethehill

by hatchet, axe, and saw
I don't get it? What's with all this "hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports" talk?

That's silly.

What about hockey? I can hit a baseball. I can't do NOTHING those hockey guys do.

baseball.png

A .300 batting average is good for MLB. What's a good shooting percentage in soccer? .100?

I think one of the hardest things to do in sports is facing a low-to-mid-90s precision guy all game, then coming up in the 9th against their flamethrowing closer with a nasty cutter or slider for an out pitch.

Reactions: bignewt
Not even close. I've played lots of sports and the hardest to me is golf.

Yeah. Golf is a tough one. Is it hard to PLAY golf, or play golf at a certain level? Anyone can hit a golf ball and score a 130. Hitting par is a different story.

Last edited:
I'd have to say shooting a par round of golf. Even when I played regularly in Florida, I've never even come close. Heck, I think I've only ever played with two people that have accomplished the feat, and one was a state-champion, major-college scholarship player, and the other spent a few years in Orlando receiving serious coaching and nearly made a pro tour.

Yeah. Golf is a tough one. Is it hard to PLAY golf, or play golf at a certain level? Anyone can hit a golf ball and score a 130. Hitting par is a different story.
Oh I can hit the hell out of it but seem to break the windows down either side of a fairway. Lol

To get close to par consistently is the hard part of it. You hear people talk about how boring it is to watch. My guess is they've never played. If they had, they would know what they were watching was so far out of reach for the average player. Which is what makes it amazing.

Well if you say playing a round of golf, then you would also have to include feats such as hitting for the cycle. I’m thinking of single athletic play. Hitting a baseball is probably up there. Things that were much harder would be too rare for people to play otherwise they’d give up and/or nobody would watch.

Reactions: peaygolf
You think you could hit one going 95 mph?
I had to take batting practice constantly against Tom McFarland at Morristown West. He was a straight fastball pitcher and up in the 90s as he looked like he was twice as big as most of us. He wasn't hard to hit after a few pitches but he was hard to hit because you never knew where in the hell the ball was going. We always joked that he needed glasses. Absolutely no control. Then Major Leauge came out a couple of years later. Lol

I had to take batting practice constantly against Tom McFarland at Morristown West. He was a straight fastball pitcher and up in the 90s as he looked like he was twice as big as most of us. He wasn't hard to hit after a few pitches but he was hard to hit because you never knew where in the hell the ball was going. We always joked that he needed glasses. Absolutely no control. Then Major Leauge came out a couple of years later. Lol
What that reminds me of is a Yankees reliever when I was a kid. His name was Ryne Duren. Look him up.

I'd have to say shooting a par round of golf. Even when I played regularly in Florida, I've never even come close. Heck, I think I've only ever played with two people that have accomplished the feat, and one was a state-champion, major-college scholarship player, and the other spent a few years in Orlando receiving serious coaching and nearly made a pro tour.
I was able to break par many times for 9 holes, shooting as low as 31. I had a chance to shoot 29, and gagged it and 3 putted the last hole from about 10 feet. I gave it a run on a downhill putt, and knocked it 3 feet past and missed it coming back.

It seemed like I couldn't put 2 good 9's together. I was able to shoot even for 18, but not break it. Many of those under par 9's were after work when there wasn't time to play 18. I probably would have choked anyway. My biggest problem to going low was that I never putted well.

The funny thing about golf is that most of the people that I know that started as kids and played a lot, became decent players. The ones that started as adults usually didn't fare as well. It is a very hard game. I played baseball, but I guarantee that I couldn't get around on a 95 mph pitch. I'm too old to hit a Little Leaguer now.

Last edited:
I was able to break par many times for 9 holes, shooting as low as 31. I had a chance to shoot 29, and gagged it and 3 putted the last hole from about 10 feet. I gave it a run on a downhill putt, and knocked it 3 feet past and missed it coming back.

It seemed like I couldn't put 2 good 9's together. I was able to shoot even for 18, but not break it. Many of those under par 9's were after work when there wasn't time to play 18. I probably would have choked anyway. My biggest problem to going low was that I never putted well.

The funny thing about golf is that most of the people that I know that started as kids and played a lot, became decent players. The ones that started as adults usually didn't fare as well. It is a very hard game. I played baseball, but I guarantee that I couldn't get around on a 95 mph pitch. I'm too old to hit a Little Leaguer now.

Yeah, most anything is hard to pick up once you're grown. Those neutral pathways aren't so plastic anymore. My friends that are good played when they were young and received quality instruction.

Learning other things is the same: I hardly ever play piano, but I took classical lessons from the age of 6. Now, my fingers just know where to go when I sit down to play something new by ear. I picked up the guitar in high school, and I can pick out most any tune on it, as well. As an adult, I enjoy playing tennis and golf, but it just hasn't come easy. Don't even get me started on learning Spanish....

Hitting a baseball is one thing.

But trying this is another. This is why it's the hardest in my opinion. They make professionals look stupid. Talking about pulling regular Joe's off the street, imagine them in the batter's box.

Regular Joes wouldn't even stay in the box. Against a curve or a 90+ fastball.

Well if you say playing a round of golf, then you would also have to include feats such as hitting for the cycle. I’m thinking of single athletic play. Hitting a baseball is probably up there. Things that were much harder would be too rare for people to play otherwise they’d give up and/or nobody would watch.
I do shoot under par on a regular basis..so golf is out:cool:

I agree about the single hardest thing having to be hitting a baseball. My best friend in HS pitched for the Giants and threw 96. I played against ex Yankee/marlin Alex Fernandez in HS and was actually scared to death.

It amazes me the amount of practice time pro baseball (and I assume most pro athletes) put into their craft. I work for the Pirates during Spring training and have to get their at 7AM for a 1PM game. The batting cages are full at 7AM. They hit, field, stretch, then take BP in the stadium, more fielding work before every game.

That sounds about like my high-water mark in golf back when I played a couple times a week. I would have rounds of 45-35 or 43-33 but rarely could I put it together for 18 holes.

kickiing a 55 yard field goal to win the game with a 20 mph headwind.

VN Store

Back