The Grill and BBQ thread

I dont do a lot of brisket, but I've got a flat and I'm thinking about burnt ends. Most of what I've seen says use a point for burnt ends. If I try to make burnt ends with a flat am I just gonna wind up with dried up meat cubes? Let me know experts.
I would say "yes," but I've never tried it. The fat is what really renders and caramelizes with the sauce, I think.

Reactions: clarksvol00
I dont do a lot of brisket, but I've got a flat and I'm thinking about burnt ends. Most of what I've seen says use a point for burnt ends. If I try to make burnt ends with a flat am I just gonna wind up with dried up meat cubes? Let me know experts.
I've made them before. The last pic I posted of burnt ends was a flat. It works fine. Just sauce then after you cube it up and put it back on. They stay moist.

Reactions: clarksvol00
I would say "yes," but I've never tried it. The fat is what really renders and caramelizes with the sauce, I think.

Kind of what I figured. The flat was an impulse buy for Masters Sunday and I got to thinking, "burnt ends sound good, but I'll probably just screw up a hunk of meat." Looks like I'll need to find an occasion for a whole brisket.

Sauce recommendations if I do cut in half and try burnt ends? @kiddiedoc I'd welcome your thoughts as well.
Honestly, I usually use bottled sauces. I would recommend something with some sugar/honey for a nice glaze. Rufus Teague is one of my go-to brands. Sometimes I'll add a little vinegar, hot honey, etc.

Can someone help me with grilling a rack of ribs? I have never done it. I want to do it for my neighbor/mentor's birthday Tuesday night as grilled BBQ ribs are his favorite thing in the world and he's an old man.

they are marinating in a rub right now and I got that. I also got a good BBQ sauce. My mom suggested I cook the rack in the oven first and BBQ it just at the end with the BBQ sauce for flavor. Is that how ya'll do it? If so, how long in the oven? its a BIG rackkk FYI

lastly, I leave the rack in tact throughout cooking right? and just cut them after? ... right? :)

Can someone help me with grilling a rack of ribs? I have never done it. I want to do it for my neighbor/mentor's birthday Tuesday night as grilled BBQ ribs are his favorite thing in the world and he's an old man.

they are marinating in a rub right now and I got that. I also got a good BBQ sauce. My mom suggested I cook the rack in the oven first and BBQ it just at the end with the BBQ sauce for flavor. Is that how ya'll do it? If so, how long in the oven? its a BIG rackkk FYI

lastly, I leave the rack in tact throughout cooking right? and just cut them after? ... right? :)
Check out the 3-2-1 method. I do mine a little differently than this. But it's a great base line on smoking ribs.

3 2 1 Ribs- How to Make Fall Off the Bone Smoked Ribs | Hey Grill, Hey

thanks guys! I used your methods, kinda, I dont have a smoker so I used the oven with liquid smoke, probably a faux pas to you grillmasters I'm sure but they turned out amazing and my friend was very happy
I actually use a kettle grill to smoke stuff. You can do it on most grills with little more than disposable grill pans and some know how.

Glad they turned out good.

Reactions: Tastylicks
thanks guys! I used your methods, kinda, I dont have a smoker so I used the oven with liquid smoke, probably a faux pas to you grillmasters I'm sure but they turned out amazing and my friend was very happy

I'm late to the question, but for next time there are several options. Not the least of which is what cut of ribs will you be cooking and how fatty. Full racks (St. Louis style will have more, Baby back will have less, beef ribs while amazing will be fattiest to start). This is important if grilling and not smoking. If you go straight to grill, you must cook on the non-heat side and let is render out away from direct flames. Beef ribs will definitely go to blazing if you start them over direct flame. Only near the end should you move the over the coals or flame directly. There is no good method to do ribs quickly.

Other methods, because you are not slow smoking ribs, like you already mentioned, you can roast in oven then finish over grill. I have known people to slow boil them to render the fat and get super tender, then season and grill. Those were actually fantastic.

Most important. always, always peel the "lining" of the bone side on any ribs.

I'm late to the question, but for next time there are several options. Not the least of which is what cut of ribs will you be cooking and how fatty. Full racks (St. Louis style will have more, Baby back will have less, beef ribs while amazing will be fattiest to start). This is important if grilling and not smoking. If you go straight to grill, you must cook on the non-heat side and let is render out away from direct flames. Beef ribs will definitely go to blazing if you start them over direct flame. Only near the end should you move the over the coals or flame directly. There is no good method to do ribs quickly.

Other methods, because you are not slow smoking ribs, like you already mentioned, you can roast in oven then finish over grill. I have known people to slow boil them to render the fat and get super tender, then season and grill. Those were actually fantastic.

Most important. always, always peel the "lining" of the bone side on any ribs.

Hey, thanks. I'll explain what I did. They were St. Louis style pork rack from Wild Fork foods (always great meat delivery service from them, FYI. wildforkfoods.com)

I did peel the lining you describe off. Then I used this liquid "mesquite" smoke stuff and marinated them in that for a whole 24 hrs in the fridge the day before. Then I put them in the oven low temp for 2/3 hours. Then I finished them on the grill with my homemade BBQ sauce :)
-

I never cooked ribs like that before. Whenever my mom made them they were always tough and stuck in the teeth. Idk how she did it but making them this way I did, they were not. They were perfect

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Hey, thanks. I'll explain what I did. They were St. Louis style pork rack from Wild Fork foods (always great meat delivery service from them, FYI. wildforkfoods.com)

I did peel the lining you describe off. Then I used this liquid "mesquite" smoke stuff and marinated them in that for a whole 24 hrs in the fridge the day before. Then I put them in the oven low temp for 2/3 hours. Then I finished them on the grill with my homemade BBQ sauce :)
-

I never cooked ribs like that before. Whenever my mom made them they were always tough and stuck in the teeth. Idk how she did it but making them this way I did, they were not. They were perfect

that method definitely works. Ribs are no different than any other fatty meat. If you cook too fast straight on grill, they will be tougher. Whether you pre-cook, or slow cook to the side of the grill on low first, you have to give the fat time to break down to be super tender.

Ribs give themselves away. I never time or temp them in the smoker. A single rack of baby backs in my smoker will typically go 3 1/2 hours and we wrap in foil half way through. But, ribs are fall off the bone when slow cooked properly, and you monitor the edges on the bone side. When that skin pulls back from the end of the bone a bit, they are ready. But, the method you chose in the absence of a smoker is a winner.

3-2-1 is a good method. In my recent babyback cooks, I've set the temp at 265-ish and let them go for about 4 hours. Spritz 2 hours in, hit it with Parkay, honey, & rub about 3-3.5 hours in, and finish with Kosmos Qs rib glaze. No wrapping and they have turned out great.

VN Store

Back