The Grill and BBQ thread

Let me know what ya think brother

1st, whatever they charge to put it together for you, it is worth it. What a PITA! If you have patience and enjoy tiny screws at awkward angles, go for it. I figured it would give me something to do while at home.... LOL!

I got it put together and fired it up. It starts quickly and gets up to temp quickly. I may toss a rack of ribs or some country ribs on it tomorrow to mess around with it and get a feel for temps, etc. It seems very sturdy. For $500, I'm pleasantly surprised.

1st, whatever they charge to put it together for you, it is worth it. What a PITA! If you have patience and enjoy tiny screws at awkward angles, go for it. I figured it would give me something to do while at home.... LOL!

I got it put together and fired it up. It starts quickly and gets up to temp quickly. I may toss a rack of ribs or some country ribs on it tomorrow to mess around with it and get a feel for temps, etc. It seems very sturdy. For $500, I'm pleasantly surprised.
Preciate it dog

For anyone that has done a tri tip, I have never done one and could use some tips. I have watched a few videos and most say season like a steak or brisket and reverse sear
I cheat on my tri tip from a seasoning perspective bc I buy mine directly from a local butcher who has it pre-marinated in a bag that is so damn good. On the cooking part though I definitely would go with the reverse sear.

Last edited:
For anyone that has done a tri tip, I have never done one and could use some tips. I have watched a few videos and most say season like a steak or brisket and reverse sear
There are 2 primary methods. Traditional Santa Maria bbq I grew up with calls for light seasoning (garlic salt & pepper for us) and cooked quickly over an oak fire. That's how I grew up with it and love it, but the last few years I've been doing it as reverse sear and it is amazingly much much better. I'll do the same seasoning sometimes adding some dark & smoky chipotle from flatiron pepper co, and then reverse sear it. I'll do it between 275-300 to an IT of 135° then sear. This comes out to the most amazing tri tip I've ever had. 20190710_215129.jpg

There are 2 primary methods. Traditional Santa Maria bbq I grew up with calls for light seasoning (garlic salt & pepper for us) and cooked quickly over an oak fire. That's how I grew up with it and love it, but the last few years I've been doing it as reverse sear and it is amazingly much much better. I'll do the same seasoning sometimes adding some dark & smoky chipotle from flatiron pepper co, and then reverse sear it. I'll do it between 275-300 to an IT of 135° then sear. This comes out to the most amazing tri tip I've ever had. View attachment 269939
Thanks for the tips, that looks great

Reactions: chatsworth_vol
Check out what arrived on the same UPS truck yesterday from SRF and Simpson's meats. (SRF: 2 slabs of Kurobuta spares, 2 Picanhas, a 3.2lb. rib-cap...Simpson's: 6 Prime NY Strips, 2 containers of 'minner cheese, Chimichurri sauce, and their S&P rub)

SRF&Simpsons.jpg

Check out what arrived on the same UPS truck yesterday from SRF and Simpson's meats. (SRF: 2 slabs of Kurobuta spares, 2 Picanhas, a 3.2lb. rib-cap...Simpson's: 6 Prime NY Strips, 2 containers of 'minner cheese, Chimichurri sauce, and their S&P rub)

View attachment 269967
Have you tried Porter Road? They are out of Nashville.

Delivering Life Changing Meat

Crowd Cow is very good as I have tried them.

Craft Meat Subscriptions, Meat & Seafood Delivery | Crowd Cow

Here's the final product on the Kurobuta spares. Didn't quite need 6 hours. Probably could've gone 2.5, 2, 30 minutes, but the flavor was incredible. I seasoned with Fox Bros. BBQ rub (out of Atlanta), along with a mild sprinkle of Dizzy Pig's Peruvian-ish and used Fox's sauce for a light glaze.

Spares3.jpg

Here's the final product on the Kurobuta spares. Didn't quite need 6 hours. Probably could've gone 2.5, 2, 30 minutes, but the flavor was incredible. I seasoned with Fox Bros. BBQ rub (out of Atlanta), along with a mild sprinkle of Dizzy Pig's Peruvian-ish and used Fox's sauce for a light glaze.

View attachment 270022

That thing looks like it cooks very evenly. Very nice looking ribs.

Reactions: Boca Vol

VN Store

Back