The Grill and BBQ thread

Anybody watching BBQ Brawl: Flay vs. Simon? I've never watched a cooking show but my HS buddy's wife is one of the competitors. I think I'm hooked on them now. The production is corny but it gets me excited/inspired to grill.

Calling RecTec'ers and Traeger'ers...and other pellet feeders.

I think I asked this before but I can't remember the answer....so I'll ask again.

When I cook chicken or turkey on the BGE I rarely add wood chips or chunks. I just use the what little smoke comes from the lump. I tend to cook chiken thighs either raised direct or indirect at about 375 to get crispy skin.

My question is, how much smoke is generated by a pellet feeder at that temp? Is there a way to cook on it without generating smoke? Another example is hamburgers, if you turn your RecTec or Traeger to its highest temp is it generating a lot of smoke?

Thanks!

Just seeing this message, but I hope this helps, I personally HATE cooking burgers on my RecTec. Same thing with steaks. Anything other than low and slow it just tastes like smoke to me and I personally don’t like a smoke taste on my steaks and burgers it just over powers it for me. That being said, I love the low temp cooks. Because the pellet smoker will only work on the pellets the machine will shut down if there are none in the hopper, so you have no other choice but to cook everything with the same smoke. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Rec Tec, but I only do low and slow on it nowadays.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Anybody watching BBQ Brawl: Flay vs. Simon? I've never watched a cooking show but my HS buddy's wife is one of the competitors. I think I'm hooked on them now. The production is corny but it gets me excited/inspired to grill.
Which one is she? The production is awful, but it is a cool show. A few of the contestants came from the show BBQ pit masters. I was surprised at how many I already knew.

Just seeing this message, but I hope this helps, I personally HATE cooking burgers on my RecTec. Same thing with steaks. Anything other than low and slow it just tastes like smoke to me and I personally don’t like a smoke taste on my steaks and burgers it just over powers it for me. That being said, I love the low temp cooks. Because the pellet smoker will only work on the pellets the machine will shut down if there are none in the hopper, so you have no other choice but to cook everything with the same smoke. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Rec Tec, but I only do low and slow on it nowadays.
Thanks for the explanation...that's what I wanted to know.

Which one is she? The production is awful, but it is a cool show. A few of the contestants came from the show BBQ pit masters. I was surprised at how many I already knew.

Suzie, the young one with the dark hair. She's the greenest of them. She started 8 years ago as a blogger. She's the only one who doesn't have a restaurant, tho she's built a nice empire. Hey Grill Hey

Phil has a spot 14 minutes away from me. I gotta check it out.

Suzie, the young one with the dark hair. She's the greenest of them. She started 8 years ago as a blogger. She's the only one who doesn't have a restaurant, tho she's built a nice empire. Hey Grill Hey

That is awesome. I’m was surprised to see she made the top 4. Honestly I couldn’t believe Tuffy lost so early. He was a judge on BBQ pitmasters and that show made it seem like he was amazing. Seeing him cook on this show was interesting to see him in another light.

Thanks for the explanation...that's what I wanted to know.
You got it. Anything you want or need to know about pellet smoking I have you covered. I did my first cook today on my Kamado Joe today, so that’s my newest venture. Definitely has a learning curve to it. I made a rack of ribs and the flavor was amazing though. I can’t wait to try other foods on it.

I hope she wins. Most of the other guys have been on Pitmasters/Pitwars, etc.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Did your temp spike on you? It looks outstanding.

Must have. My smoker has done that in the past. The cover on the firebox gets offset and this happens. Their support told me "move it half an inch". How about making a spacer so i don't have to guess where the sweet spot is.

The meat is tender and juicy, hopefully that maintains when i reheat in oven

Must have. My smoker has done that in the past. The cover on the firebox gets offset and this happens. Their support told me "move it half an inch". How about making a spacer so i don't have to guess where the sweet spot is.

The meat is tender and juicy, hopefully that maintains when i reheat in oven

I like to do turbo butts. I've started one at 3 in the afternoon and eaten it that night. Brine it the day before, barely re-season with a little salt and pepper. Crank the heat to about 350 and let it roll. It'll blast right through the stall and still turn out tender, juicy, and smokey.

Reactions: n_huffhines
I like to do turbo butts. I've started one at 3 in the afternoon and eaten it that night. Brine it the day before, barely re-season with a little salt and pepper. Crank the heat to about 350 and let it roll. It'll blast right through the stall and still turn out tender, juicy, and smokey.

Dry brine?

For Christmas I did a 24 hour sous vide brisket at 155 then a 3 hour smoke at 250, was very pleased with the results.
I just did a pastrami and cooked it sous vide for 30 hours and then just an hour on the smoker at 225. Does 3 hours after cooking sous vide not overcook it? Mine of course had no texture let alone bark on the outside but it had a great smoke flavor and it was super tender. I think doing it in this method means sacrificing bark

Boca Vol, what tips can you tell me about cooking steaks on a Kamado grill? I decided to reverse sear a whole beef tenderloin and it just took on way too much smoke flavor. Since it was a filet it was super tender and it was cooked to temperature so that was perfect too, it just tasted way too smokey.
I’ve never cooked with charcoal before, so there’s definitely a learning curve for me. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Pulling for her. I follow her Facebook page and look at some of her recipes. I haven’t tried any of hers yet but it always looks good.

I was first pulling for Carey from Peg Leg Porker from here in Nashville. He does whole hog and it’s really good. Unfortunately, he got sent home pretty early.

Pulling for her. I follow her Facebook page and look at some of her recipes. I haven’t tried any of hers yet but it always looks good.

I was first pulling for Carey from Peg Leg Porker from here in Nashville. He does whole hog and it’s really good. Unfortunately, he got sent home pretty early.

In hindsight, it makes sense that she's doing well on this show. Most of the contestants have experimented with their recipes to an impressive degree I'm sure, but as a full time blogger she was doing 4-5 posts a week for her employer (until she struck out on her own). While they were trying to find good dishes for their restaurants, she was trying to find as much random and interesting **** as possible to write about. She was the only contestant this week to make sides that are meant to be tasted in the same bite as the protein. The odds were stacked against her, she took a risk, and she advanced.

I want to try Carey's restaurant. He could probably beat anybody if the show was all about pork

Last edited:
Reactions: Nash_Vol97
Boca Vol, what tips can you tell me about cooking steaks on a Kamado grill? I decided to reverse sear a whole beef tenderloin and it just took on way too much smoke flavor. Since it was a filet it was super tender and it was cooked to temperature so that was perfect too, it just tasted way too smokey.
I’ve never cooked with charcoal before, so there’s definitely a learning curve for me. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Make sure your grill is clean before cooking.

Light only enough coals to get you to 225-250 for the slow cook.

Don't add wood chips.

Give it time once you close down the vents for the early, pungent white smoke to clear. Once the smoke is almost transparent, you're good to go.

Hope this helps

Make sure your grill is clean before cooking.

Light only enough coals to get you to 225-250 for the slow cook.

Don't add wood chips.

Give it time once you close down the vents for the early, pungent white smoke to clear. Once the smoke is almost transparent, you're good to go.

Hope this helps

x2

VN Store

Back