The Grill and BBQ thread

I've mastered smoking drumsticks. I can't believe how good they are. I've always looked at non-fried chicken as kind of boring, unless it's wings, in a sandwich, pasta, or Chinese food, but now I can't get enough of it. One thing I do not like is sometimes you will see drumsticks bleed after cooking. I don't care about it, but when I'm serving guests I want it to be more aesthetic than that. Any tips?

I do drumsticks often. I think the main issue that causes the blood is that the bones maintain the cold from the freezer/refrigerator much longer than you might realize. I like to thaw chicken legs at least 24 hours prior and, like steaks, I let them sit on the counter for a couple hours prior to cooking. I baked drumsticks with whole garlic cloves, cherry tomatoes and basil in the oven last night and none had the blood. I let them sit out for about 2.5 hours prior to cooking. Hope this helps.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Newest addition to the family. Can’t wait to use it. Any suggestions from anyone who has experience with one?
I would recommend a leisurely stroll through the 220 pages of this thread. Some darn good grilling graces what I consider to be one of the best VN topics of all time.

If you are wanting to smoke, go with a butt for your first attempt. They are really difficult to screw up, so long as you don't cook too hot.

Learn the art of the reverse sear. Brine poultry and pork. Spatchcock a chicken. Make chicken bombs and atomic Buffalo turds. Get some type 00 flour and fire your own pizza.

Happy grilling!

Reactions: franklinpence
Congrats on your new purchase. Many members have a KJ smoker/grill, you will not be disappointed. I have a KJ Big Joe. Here is a good KJ forum. Lots of really good info in this thread also.

John Setzler - Kamado Guru
Thanks! I already have RecTec and a Weber grill, but have been dying to get a Kamado for a different option. I’ve been looking at Johns videos and he makes it look so easy, but just by looking at the Big Joe I know there is going to be a learning curve. What is the best thing you’ve cooked on yours? Do you mostly use it for high temp cooks like steaks or low and slow for bbq?

Good, except it kinda fell apart when I was carelessly moving it to rest. Learned my lesson

I've been successful at everything so far but a brisket. (Only been smoking since December in a barrel smoker). Everything else has been lights out. What's it take to get a brisket right, and to have a crust like that.

I've been successful at everything so far but a brisket. (Only been smoking since December in a barrel smoker). Everything else has been lights out. What's it take to get a brisket right, and to have a crust like that.
Watch Aaron Franklin's series on brisket. It doesn't get much easier. Salt, pepper and pink butcher paper.

And another... Brisket | Season 1 Episode 1 | BBQ with Franklin

Reactions: Nash_Vol97

I got a recipe from a guy, and IDK what produces what, but here are the basics of it:

rub 1/2 tsp/lb kosher salt and 1/4 tsp/lb pepper, refrigerate in saran wrap for 24 hours
add bbq glue (mustard) and beef rub, smoke fat side up (a lot of people trim the fat before cooking)
smoke at 180 for 15-20 hours
put it in a turkey-sized oven bag, flip it over fat side down (the idea is it insulates it from drying out)
drizzle 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar over it and close up the bag
smoke at 220-250 for 2-4 hours until it's about 205 in the flat and 195 in the point
rest it for 60-90 minutes
Trim the fat

I'm guessing the mustard is a big part of why my crust is nice and black like that?

I got a recipe from a guy, and IDK what produces what, but here are the basics of it:

rub 1/2 tsp/lb kosher salt and 1/4 tsp/lb pepper, refrigerate in saran wrap for 24 hours
add bbq glue (mustard) and beef rub, smoke fat side up (a lot of people trim the fat before cooking)
smoke at 180 for 15-20 hours
put it in a turkey-sized oven bag, flip it over fat side down (the idea is it insulates it from drying out)
drizzle 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar over it and close up the bag
smoke at 220-250 for 2-4 hours until it's about 205 in the flat and 195 in the point
rest it for 60-90 minutes
Trim the fat

I'm guessing the mustard is a big part of why my crust is nice and black like that?

My son uses the mustard on ribs to get the spices to hang on. Not sure what else it does except maybe some flavor complements.

What's your recipe on this. I have flunked brisket twice so far. Tri-Tips are great. but, my second brisket was just edible. Also, what is your cook process.

Wall of text incoming. I’ve done two packer briskets on the Traeger since I bought it using this and both were awesome. Low temp and patience is the key. It’s a 20 hour process using this method.

I’d recommend 2 table spoons more black pepper than in the recipe below. NOTE the rub recipe below uses TEA spoons not table spoons for the black pepper. The wife has an allergy. But I can pepper on the back end and the taste is fine. And I have used a double batch of rub on both briskets. It goes on very thick.

BEEF BRISKET RECIPE

Injection
2/3 cup Worsteshire
2/3 cup Beef Stock
1 tblspn garlic powder

Rub
4 tspn black pepper
3 tblspn garlic powder
4 tblspn brown sugar
4 tblspn paprika
1 tblspn onion powder
1 tblspn mustard
1 tblspn thyme

Makes about 2/3 cup of seasoning. A large packer brisket might take a double batch.

1 tspn kosher salt per 2 lbs meat

Inject night before or up to 3-4 hrs before cooking if injecting. Dry brine 3-4 hrs before cooking. Apply rub right before cooking

Set smoker to 180F. Put a water/Apple juice bowl in to add moisture. Smoke fat cap up for at least 8 hrs and until internal temp reaches at least 160F. At 160F or 12 hrs double wrap in aluminum foil tightly, add left over injection to the wrap for moisture, and set smoker to 250F. Open wrap at 205F and leave on smoker to increase tenderness and crisp bark. Rest at least an hour after removal from the smoker and rewrapping.

First Brisket: 11.5 lbs trimmed was 12.5 lbs
00:00 hrs set smoker to 180F (10pm)
10:00 hrs set smoker to 225F
12:30 hrs to 160F wrap here
15:00 hrs set smoker to 250F
16:00 hrs to 205F dwell an hour
16:30 set smoker to 225F
16:45 hrs unwrap and crisp bark
17:00 hrs set smoker to 180F
17:15 hrs remove and let rest (3pm)
20:15 hrs total time after 3 hrs rest

Second Brisket: 13.5lbs trimmed was 14.8 lbs
00:00 hrs set smoker to 180F (8pm)
12:30 hrs 152F wrap and set to 225F
13:00 hrs 150F set temp to 250F
16:30 hrs 202/210F unwrap set to 225F
17:00 hrs 205/210F remove and let rest
18:00 hrs total time after 1 hr rest

Last edited:
geez those look awesome. What are they and recipe please !!
Chicken Bombs. I'm sure somebody has posted a recipe, and there are plenty of variations, but I just shoot from the hip:

-Pound boneless thighs a bit to flatten
-Stuff with half a pepper (jap, poblano, etc) + cream cheese + Colby/jack
-Roll each into a little ball, +favorite rub, then wrap in a stretched out slice of bacon, securing with toothpicks. (This is the tricky part, don't stress if they aren't perfect looking, as they will tighten up as they cook)
-Cook raised direct around 350, rearranging once and turning once. Mine took 40 minutes yesterday

Guys, you might think I'm crazy, but Johnboy and Billy's Grilling Sauce is one of the best off the shelf sauces I've used grilling. (The syndicated morning show nuts from charlotte)

Thanks! I already have RecTec and a Weber grill, but have been dying to get a Kamado for a different option. I’ve been looking at Johns videos and he makes it look so easy, but just by looking at the Big Joe I know there is going to be a learning curve. What is the best thing you’ve cooked on yours? Do you mostly use it for high temp cooks like steaks or low and slow for bbq?
I use mine for everything. I guess Wagyu steak would be the best thing I have cooked on the KJ.

Biggest issue most people have when first trying to learn brisket is the hang up temp. Brisket, for me anyway usually hang up right around 170. When I get to 170 internal, I wrap. Then I pull it when the point gets to 205.

Calling RecTec'ers and Traeger'ers...and other pellet feeders.

I think I asked this before but I can't remember the answer....so I'll ask again.

When I cook chicken or turkey on the BGE I rarely add wood chips or chunks. I just use the what little smoke comes from the lump. I tend to cook chiken thighs either raised direct or indirect at about 375 to get crispy skin.

My question is, how much smoke is generated by a pellet feeder at that temp? Is there a way to cook on it without generating smoke? Another example is hamburgers, if you turn your RecTec or Traeger to its highest temp is it generating a lot of smoke?

Thanks!

Calling RecTec'ers and Traeger'ers...and other pellet feeders.

I think I asked this before but I can't remember the answer....so I'll ask again.

When I cook chicken or turkey on the BGE I rarely add wood chips or chunks. I just use the what little smoke comes from the lump. I tend to cook chiken thighs either raised direct or indirect at about 375 to get crispy skin.

My question is, how much smoke is generated by a pellet feeder at that temp? Is there a way to cook on it without generating smoke? Another example is hamburgers, if you turn your RecTec or Traeger to its highest temp is it generating a lot of smoke?

Thanks!

Idk about at 375. I smoke legs at 250 then burn em for 60-90" at 450. I do it on the gas grill because the pellet grill is too smoky at 450

Reactions: Boca Vol

VN Store

Back