The Grill and BBQ thread

Yessir. Only way to roll with a rib roast or tenderloin, imo.

Safe to say: I've made a lot of people very happy with that Egg that I rescued from the storage unit!
tenor.gif

Well, today was decision day to see how my Strip loin did in the UMAI bags. I was really impressed. Took it 35 days and today I cut it all up and cooked the best looking one.

Results: Lost quite a bit of “weight”, mostly moisture loss. Think it was like 1-2 pounds. Got 8 thick cuts out of the steak and 1 small one that I’ll probably just grind up with some other beef for some burgers.

The one that I grilled up was absolutely delicious. Reversed seared it but only issue of the whole day..slightly over cooked it. More medium well then medium rare 😒. Still even at that it was really, really tender and a strong beef flavor. Slight nutty or cheesy flavor but not overpowering at all. If I went maybe 10 days longer it would have had a strong funky taste so I think 35-40 will be my sweet spot.

2 Questions for anyone else that has dry aged before:

1. Can I use the trimmings for a broth or something like that? I see lots of mixed reviews online about it. Some say do it, others say no.

2. How do y’all trim it? I cut it into steaks then trimmed off the edge because I figured I would lose less good meat that way, but may try it the other way next time.

View attachment 194169
View attachment 194170
View attachment 194171
View attachment 194175
View attachment 194174

Thanks for the update. Looks fantastic. I would definitely cook up the trimming and at least give to the dog. Heck, he would probably get some of the steaks.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
Does anyone have suggestions for a deli meat / cheese slicer you've been happy with?
I’m in the market for one right now and have done a ton of research. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet but will soon. The kitchenware station (kws) meat slicers with the teflon blade are supposed to be great.

Reactions: volmanbill
I’m in the market for one right now and have done a ton of research. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet but will soon. The kitchenware station (kws) meat slicers with the teflon blade are supposed to be great.

Let me know what you end up with. I had seen this KWS on Amazon with good reviews and the right size. One consideration has been storage. Anything too big will be a pain to store, too small and it won't handle thicker cuts and more than likely under powered.

Let me know what you end up with. I had seen this KWS on Amazon with good reviews and the right size. One consideration has been storage. Anything too big will be a pain to store, too small and it won't handle thicker cuts and more than likely under powered.
I will but I plan on getting the bigger one if I do it. It’s a 420W with removable blade tool and teflon coated blade. It’s like 65 pounds but I have a place to store it. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet because it’s expensive and can’t justify putting out that kind of money for something I don’t know how often I’ll use.
They sell the 320W one and that is supposed to be great too. I don’t know how big it is of it it’ll slice what you need though. I did read to make sure you get the teflon coated blade though for the extra $10 or so because it makes it a lot easier to clean.

Well, today was decision day to see how my Strip loin did in the UMAI bags. I was really impressed. Took it 35 days and today I cut it all up and cooked the best looking one.

Results: Lost quite a bit of “weight”, mostly moisture loss. Think it was like 1-2 pounds. Got 8 thick cuts out of the steak and 1 small one that I’ll probably just grind up with some other beef for some burgers.

The one that I grilled up was absolutely delicious. Reversed seared it but only issue of the whole day..slightly over cooked it. More medium well then medium rare 😒. Still even at that it was really, really tender and a strong beef flavor. Slight nutty or cheesy flavor but not overpowering at all. If I went maybe 10 days longer it would have had a strong funky taste so I think 35-40 will be my sweet spot.

2 Questions for anyone else that has dry aged before:

1. Can I use the trimmings for a broth or something like that? I see lots of mixed reviews online about it. Some say do it, others say no.

2. How do y’all trim it? I cut it into steaks then trimmed off the edge because I figured I would lose less good meat that way, but may try it the other way next time.

View attachment 194169
View attachment 194170
View attachment 194171
View attachment 194175
View attachment 194174
Absolutely use the trimming to make your Aujus for prime rib or Philly cheesesteaks, French onion soup, Beef and barley soup Etc...makes great broth to freeze too. My dogs are the recipient of the cooked down meat after I make the broth. As I said in my other post you can submerge the loin in cool water in the IMMACULATELY CLEAN ( ie cloroxed) kitchen sink or a Bus tub for several hours. It will re hydrate the crust on the outside and make it much easier to trim the fat and leave the meat unless the color bothers you. Restaurants will trim the discolored meat for aesthetics but there's no reason to at home.

I always trim my primal cut after taking it out of the sink then slice into steaks. AS you unfortunately already found out with less thermal mass ( water) in the meat it cooks faster and you have less margin for error. Take you steaks off before you think you should for mid rare. A digital remote read thermometer is you friend until you get the hang of cooking dry-aged meat cause the old way of feeling you palm for similar firmness doesn't work due to the low moisture content of your meat candy.
Hope that helps!

Im having some serious flare up issues w my gas grill. I didn’t initially have them when I got it this summer. The grill gets really hot. And I would think that it might be due to drippings and what not on the briquettes, but after running it hot and trying to burn it off it still flares up. Do I need to physically clean the grill? Any ideas?

I knead the dough, top the pizza, and cook it all on the same sheet of parchment paper. Crust is crispy without getting mangled by scraping it up and transferring surfaces
Thanks, I have heard about parchment paper before but never tried it, will use your suggestions and give it another try

Im having some serious flare up issues w my gas grill. I didn’t initially have them when I got it this summer. The grill gets really hot. And I would think that it might be due to drippings and what not on the briquettes, but after running it hot and trying to burn it off it still flares up. Do I need to physically clean the grill? Any ideas?
I needed to replace my bottom pan early on my propane...didn’t. Managed to compensate by putting it on lowest heat and adjusting. I usually put the food on the rack and only use the main grill to heat my cast iron. Cooked the closest to perfect ribeye in my career last night on my wreck. I have a Chargrill, so it’s cheaper quality. Anybody use lava rocks on their gas grill?

Thanks, I have heard about parchment paper before but never tried it, will use your suggestions and give it another try
Parchment paper is magic, a little cornmeal on the stone is a great trick, too. I found that the best results come by prepping each pie on a piece of parchment a little bigger than the crust diameter, sliding it onto the pizza stone as is, then pulling out the paper a minute or two in to cooking, which browns the crust nicely without sticking.

Absolutely use the trimming to make your Aujus for prime rib or Philly cheesesteaks, French onion soup, Beef and barley soup Etc...makes great broth to freeze too. My dogs are the recipient of the cooked down meat after I make the broth. As I said in my other post you can submerge the loin in cool water in the IMMACULATELY CLEAN ( ie cloroxed) kitchen sink or a Bus tub for several hours. It will re hydrate the crust on the outside and make it much easier to trim the fat and leave the meat unless the color bothers you. Restaurants will trim the discolored meat for aesthetics but there's no reason to at home.

I always trim my primal cut after taking it out of the sink then slice into steaks. AS you unfortunately already found out with less thermal mass ( water) in the meat it cooks faster and you have less margin for error. Take you steaks off before you think you should for mid rare. A digital remote read thermometer is you friend until you get the hang of cooking dry-aged meat cause the old way of feeling you palm for similar firmness doesn't work due to the low moisture content of your meat candy.
Hope that helps!

Good stuff! Thanks for the tips. I did try a second cook a couple days ago and ended up doing much better with my target temp. I might try to leave some on next age, though I’m nervous about a sink or bus tub being clean enough. We will see.

Parchment paper is magic, a little cornmeal on the stone is a great trick, too. I found that the best results come by prepping each pie on a piece of parchment a little bigger than the crust diameter, sliding it onto the pizza stone as is, then pulling out the paper a minute or two in to cooking, which browns the crust nicely without sticking.

Solid advice!!

VN Store

Back