The Grill and BBQ thread

And the tasty results...

img_2194-jpg.186008

Attachments

• IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 427
The 12 wings of Christmas 😀

Choices of grilled, baked and fried. Six different seasonings, and 12 sauces: Mango Coconut, BBQ, Buffalo , Buffalo habanero, Parmesan garlic, Teriyaki, Red Curry, Green Curry, Thai Chili BBQ, Garlipeno, Sweet Chili, and Spicy Apricot.

If that wasn't enough Hope fried coconut shrimp, zucchini, pickles, onion rings, and mushrooms.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you had a good one!

View attachment 185572View attachment 185574View attachment 185576View attachment 185577
This looks amazing!!

Reactions: cali_vol
Got a mancrate for Christmas with a Salt block in it. While I grill/smoke constantly even through winter in East Tn I have never used one. Any tips or do's and don'ts with them?

Attachments

• egc-everest-grill-crate-the-everest-grill-crate__11638.jpg
    egc-everest-grill-crate-the-everest-grill-crate__11638.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: volmanbill
I finally settled on the Barrel House Cooker 14D. Did not need a large capacity smoker and this one fits the bill for me, and can still smoke more than six can eat at a meal. Love the way it smokes and cooks. Very efficient on charcoal. So far around 6 hours on one load of fuel. Have done a chicken, lamb chuck steaks, a ham, and a tri-tip. All were excellent. Especially for a rookie smoker. Master of a grill, but never had a smoker. And you don't add very much extra wood for smoking.

What wood did you use for flavor ? Why?

Just the Costco traeger blend, because it's cheap and isn't overpowering.

For the rub, I just googled something "easy" and it turned out to be fantastic. for every 2 lbs of salmon, use 1 tsp of salt, pepper, and dill, and 2 tbsp of brown sugar. It was so good. They recommended letting it sit an hour, but we just did 30 minutes and that worked.

Has anyone ever tried UMAi dry age bags? I’ve been wanting to dry age my steaks and meats and these seemed like the most efficient way to get it done for me since I can do it in my own fridge with minimal room taken up. Wife got it for me for my birthday so first test run will start on Wednesday.

1546801574934.jpeg

Has anyone ever tried UMAi dry age bags? I’ve been wanting to dry age my steaks and meats and these seemed like the most efficient way to get it done for me since I can do it in my own fridge with minimal room taken up. Wife got it for me for my birthday so first test run will start on Wednesday.

View attachment 187422

Looks interesting. I've always used the raised rack and cheesecloth method. This looks like a cleaner option.

Looks interesting. I've always used the raised rack and cheesecloth method. This looks like a cleaner option.

Before I found the bags I was going to do the cheesecloth method and my wife was not very happy about the idea of a possible mess in the fridge. She was quick to let me know she would buy these for me instead. Haha.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Wife went to Walmart and found a 6 lb prime rib on sale for $33. Our maiden voyage with prime rib was stellar at Christmas and that’s all she’s raved about since. Gotta freeze it tho...which sucks but $33 compared to the $123 I forked out at Costco.

Reactions: Orange_Vol1321
1st swing at Dry aging my own beef in my fridge is underway. Packed an 11lb NY Strip Loin into the UMAI bag and vac sealed it. Took a few tries but finally got a great seal with minimal to no air inside. Now we wait! Going to let this one go 30-35 days

1547079548150.jpeg

1st swing at Dry aging my own beef in my fridge is underway. Packed an 11lb NY Strip Loin into the UMAI bag and vac sealed it. Took a few tries but finally got a great seal with minimal to no air inside. Now we wait! Going to let this one go 30-35 days

View attachment 188276
Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Wife went to Walmart and found a 6 lb prime rib on sale for $33. Our maiden voyage with prime rib was stellar at Christmas and that’s all she’s raved about since. Gotta freeze it tho...which sucks but $33 compared to the $123 I forked out at Costco.

What's the grade from the one from Walmart? That's where the price difference comes from on those larger cuts.

Better question is how big was that rascal you bought at Costco?

Ok, who has a good chicken breast recipe for smoking? I have a wing recipe in my repertoire...these are the ingredients for it and I'm looking for something distinctly different from this:

Screenshot_20190115-190924_Chrome.jpg

Ok, who has a good chicken breast recipe for smoking? I have a wing recipe in my repertoire...these are the ingredients for it and I'm looking for something distinctly different from this:

View attachment 189298

Depends on what you're looking for. I've had good luck with Caribbean flavors for smoking.

For the brine:
  • 2 ½ cups water
  • ½ cup dark rum
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 ½ tablespoon molasses
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 tablespoon ginger
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the rub:
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Reactions: n_huffhines
What's the grade from the one from Walmart? That's where the price difference comes from on those larger cuts.

Better question is how big was that rascal you bought at Costco?
8-9 Ib I think. Wal-Mart does that blue ribbon for their top grade and it was Angus...so at the worst it ain’t garbage. Wife fell in love with the kosher salt coating oven method, so I won’t get to smoke this one.

VN Store

Back